The Student Room Group

Help, don't know what to do!

hey I'm having some trouble with my as subjects, in my January modules I got ABCE and the E was in physics!! I barely worked for these exams, but I want to do Pharmacy at University and now I need to get an a in chemistry from a c grade in January. I'm thinking now about dropping physics as I find it extremely difficult and maths is my weak point in it. I don't know whether I should invest my time repeating physics as I'm repeating biology and chemistry also and I need to get As in them. Most universities for pharmacy ask for AAB-ABB, so should I drop physics now and this increase my time working on the others to secure grades or should I keep on physics and really work at it among the others:frown: !?!? Help! :
Original post by rebzodonnell
hey I'm having some trouble with my as subjects, in my January modules I got ABCE and the E was in physics!! I barely worked for these exams, but I want to do Pharmacy at University and now I need to get an a in chemistry from a c grade in January. I'm thinking now about dropping physics as I find it extremely difficult and maths is my weak point in it. I don't know whether I should invest my time repeating physics as I'm repeating biology and chemistry also and I need to get As in them. Most universities for pharmacy ask for AAB-ABB, so should I drop physics now and this increase my time working on the others to secure grades or should I keep on physics and really work at it among the others:frown: !?!? Help! :

Hi there, I applied for pharmacy this year (I'm on a gap year now, so im a reapplicant).

To give yourself a good shot at pharmacy, you need to have a strong chemistry grade, make sure you got a B overall to ensure you are predicted an A by your teachers.

Yeah, AAB-ABB is the typical offer for pharmacy schools.

If you find physics hard, drop it. You won't be needing it for Pharmacy, and you can focus on chemistry, bio and geography (checked your profile) for A2.

In fact, why are you revising for physics? just forget it completely and focus on the three. They will get you into uni, not physics.
Reply 2
Ahh ok thank you :-)
Ahh ok thank you :-)

No worries. :cute:

Have you got any unis in mind you want to look at??

It's best to give yourself a target now, which acts as motivation for you to get the grades!!!!

How confident do you feel about the june exams?
Reply 4
Original post by James A
No worries. :cute:

Have you got any unis in mind you want to look at??

It's best to give yourself a target now, which acts as motivation for you to get the grades!!!!

How confident do you feel about the june exams?

:smile:. aye I was thinking of University of East Anglia in Norwich, Robert Gordon in Aberdeen, Durham, Bath and I dunno where else yet! where are you hoping for ?

aye I really want AAA :-(, I'm feelin alright about it I just need to start studying this week!
:smile:. aye I was thinking of University of East Anglia in Norwich, Robert Gordon in Aberdeen, Durham, Bath and I dunno where else yet! where are you hoping for ?

aye I really want AAA :-(, I'm feelin alright about it I just need to start studying this week!

Oh nice, last year I applied to UEA (university of east anglia), bath, nottingham, reading and hertfordshire.

I got my offers from all unis (apart from nottingham, where I under prepared for the interview and got a rejection letter :emo: )

I missed out on my grades because I didn't put enough effort into my studies.

Ended up with BBC, after having ABC for my AS.

A-levels are stressful, but if youkeep up the hard work and persistently pay attention in class and do all your homework, then it will be more easy. Past papers are very important.

I heavily regret not putting 100% effort into my studies, but yeah, this year I only decided to apply for reading as they will now offer me AAB, which is what I think I will get after these june exams. Unis increase their offer if you are reapplying again! :eek4:
Reply 6
Original post by James A
Oh nice, last year I applied to UEA (university of east anglia), bath, nottingham, reading and hertfordshire.

I got my offers from all unis (apart from nottingham, where I under prepared for the interview and got a rejection letter :emo: )

I missed out on my grades because I didn't put enough effort into my studies.

Ended up with BBC, after having ABC for my AS.

A-levels are stressful, but if youkeep up the hard work and persistently pay attention in class and do all your homework, then it will be more easy. Past papers are very important.

I heavily regret not putting 100% effort into my studies, but yeah, this year I only decided to apply for reading as they will now offer me AAB, which is what I think I will get after these june exams. Unis increase their offer if you are reapplying again! :eek4:

Aww yeah see now I'm trying my best to get the work experience and preparation for interviews needed. like my teacher says I'm on the ball for those but it's my grades that will more than likely stop me! yeah I'm the same I didn't try for January at all :-( they're crazy hard like I thought it would just be like gcse but it's soooo BAD. So yeah I can't wait to drop physics now I felt like a retard in the class because its all geniuses who wanna do medicine and physics and engineering at Uni! Aw man good luck, I hope you get in :-)) you deserve it if you put the work in now! :-)
Aww yeah see now I'm trying my best to get the work experience and preparation for interviews needed. like my teacher says I'm on the ball for those but it's my grades that will more than likely stop me! yeah I'm the same I didn't try for January at all :-( they're crazy hard like I thought it would just be like gcse but it's soooo BAD. So yeah I can't wait to drop physics now I felt like a retard in the class because its all geniuses who wanna do medicine and physics and engineering at Uni! Aw man good luck, I hope you get in :-)) you deserve it if you put the work in now! :-)

It was painful on results day for the june that just went by. I was 1 ums off an A in maths overall :frown: 15 ums off an A in chemistry and 25 ums off a B in biology.

Had I got those ums, I would have been in uni right now. I had UEA as my firm.

But I'm looking forward to pulling my grades up and I can't wait to go to reading!

I got some work experience in a community pharmacy for 4 weeks (my mum knew the pharmacist well who owns the shop, so he managed to get me some time there), mostly i was talking to customers at the till area, I managed to sell some over the counter medicines with the supervision of the pharmacist. I got to have a look at the dispensary area which was nice. That was in the summer of 2011.

The summer of 2012 though, I managed to get work experience in a hospital pharmacy, which was really good, I was at St George's hospital in South London for a week, I got to do loads of things like dispensing medication for patients, talking to patients on the wards, doing stock counts. It was really good fun.

Yeah, this summer, try and ask around for work experience, I would say, that gave me an edge over other applicants when it came to being invited for an interview at unis.

Have you been pestered by your teachers to start your personal statements? :colondollar:

I'll send you mine, if you wanna have a look at it. It's important to have a good personal statement when applying for unis, that plays a big role in how well they favour your application over the others.
Reply 8
Original post by James A
It was painful on results day for the june that just went by. I was 1 ums off an A in maths overall :frown: 15 ums off an A in chemistry and 25 ums off a B in biology.

Had I got those ums, I would have been in uni right now. I had UEA as my firm.

But I'm looking forward to pulling my grades up and I can't wait to go to reading!

I got some work experience in a community pharmacy for 4 weeks (my mum knew the pharmacist well who owns the shop, so he managed to get me some time there), mostly i was talking to customers at the till area, I managed to sell some over the counter medicines with the supervision of the pharmacist. I got to have a look at the dispensary area which was nice. That was in the summer of 2011.

The summer of 2012 though, I managed to get work experience in a hospital pharmacy, which was really good, I was at St George's hospital in South London for a week, I got to do loads of things like dispensing medication for patients, talking to patients on the wards, doing stock counts. It was really good fun.

Yeah, this summer, try and ask around for work experience, I would say, that gave me an edge over other applicants when it came to being invited for an interview at unis.

Have you been pestered by your teachers to start your personal statements? :colondollar:

I'll send you mine, if you wanna have a look at it. It's important to have a good personal statement when applying for unis, that plays a big role in how well they favour your application over the others.

aww man that's devastating! :-( well at least you're happy now! everything happens for a reason I guess! aww man that's so lucky we can't even do it at hospitals here :-( Northern Ireland is ****! yeah I've got my place at a community pharmacy now and I've been put forward for industry also! (: hehe aw aye my teacher was saying to me to start on it soon! aw please send me it, it would be so helpful like I'd appreciate it so much :smile:)).

I can kind of relate to your position with your Maths-Physics weakpoint.

I struggled with Maths and naturally didn't do fantastic at Physics, I had all my Physics modules in Summer (thankfully). Since you want to do Pharmacy and you're really struggling with Physics then focus on your other subjects, but this time make sure you work for them! You don't want to wait another whole year for next years summer exam season to retake. :rolleyes:
aww man that's devastating! :-( well at least you're happy now! everything happens for a reason I guess! aww man that's so lucky we can't even do it at hospitals here :-( Northern Ireland is ****! yeah I've got my place at a community pharmacy now and I've been put forward for industry also! (: hehe aw aye my teacher was saying to me to start on it soon! aw please send me it, it would be so helpful like I'd appreciate it so much :smile:)).

I'll pm you it, hopefully it will upload to the site (the word document).
Reply 11
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
I can kind of relate to your position with your Maths-Physics weakpoint.

I struggled with Maths and naturally didn't do fantastic at Physics, I had all my Physics modules in Summer (thankfully). Since you want to do Pharmacy and you're really struggling with Physics then focus on your other subjects, but this time make sure you work for them! You don't want to wait another whole year for next years summer exam season to retake. :rolleyes:

yeaaah omg it's totally just wrecked me haha, aaa lucky you :-( although I coulda left it all to summer and then I might of failed it! do u think I should drop it then? yeah it would be a nightmare!
yeaaah omg it's totally just wrecked me haha, aaa lucky you :-( although I coulda left it all to summer and then I might of failed it! do u think I should drop it then? yeah it would be a nightmare!

I think you should speak to your teachers and see what they say, I think your exam grade isn't a true reflection of what you are fully capable of. Maybe with a bit more solid work you could get a respectable grade so you can drop it after AS?!

Tbh, I wouldn't get too down on your self though. People in year 12 who do physics in January tend to not get fantastic grades because you simply don't get enough time to revise/ dopast papers etc.

Plus, I think covering the whole AS course helps if you do both exams in summer as both units kinda interconnect. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by James A
No need to respond to my pm I sent you, the site will allow me to only post my personal statement up here.

Let me know when you have it, I don't want alot of others to see it.

naw man inbox it cos I'm not on a computer ATM so I haven't got a chance to look at it tonight, thanks :smile:)
naw man inbox it cos I'm not on a computer ATM so I haven't got a chance to look at it tonight, thanks :smile:)

It wont let me attach it via a PM.

:sad:

When you gonna be back on your pc?

I've uploaded it to this thread though, so no need to worry :^_^:

Hey, did you get a chance to look at it?

I hope you saved it somewhere on your pc, because I'm removing the file from TSR, hopefully just a handful of people saw it.
Reply 16
Lol I'm not even doing pharmacy anymore!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest