The Student Room Group

career options with law degree

I was just wondering if anyone knew of the career options, a law degree could provide (other than law actual related fields or jobs with some sort of relation to law)? I have always been told that law is a pretty flexible degree in which you can do anything with, but i have always wondered to what extent is this myth true
Reply 1
And also, are there any creative based jobs that i could do with a law degree?

Thanks
You could do the same jobs as any other non-science graduate basically. Journalism, teaching, jobs in finance and accounting, banking, obviously law, politics, civil service, business and commerce. Could also get into media and writing.

Writing and journalism are probably the most 'creative', but tbh, there aren't too many 'creative' jobs out there that also pay well, if you'd like that also. Not to mention that these fields are pretty difficult to break into an you'll certainly need lay luck on your side to make it big.
Reply 3
Original post by Makebelieve15
You could do the same jobs as any other non-science graduate basically. Journalism, teaching, jobs in finance and accounting, banking, obviously law, politics, civil service, business and commerce. Could also get into media and writing.

Writing and journalism are probably the most 'creative', but tbh, there aren't too many 'creative' jobs out there that also pay well, if you'd like that also. Not to mention that these fields are pretty difficult to break into an you'll certainly need lay luck on your side to make it big.

Alas, there's hope lol! Personally, with me i have never really been big on most stuff like accounting, finance, banking, politics etc. I have always preferred something with some of creativity. I am interested in some aspects of law but i have to admit, one of the reasons why i chose it was due to the fact that it is a pretty open degree compared to most.

Yeah, i am aware of the fact that most creative jobs don't exactly pay much and are pretty hard to find.But i'm up for still trying. I am even thinking of giving go at maybe the fashion industry or something. Personally, i just don't want to stay in an office doing the same mundane things, monday to friday.
Original post by rurounikenji
Alas, there's hope lol! Personally, with me i have never really been big on most stuff like accounting, finance, banking, politics etc. I have always preferred something with some of creativity. I am interested in some aspects of law but i have to admit, one of the reasons why i chose it was due to the fact that it is a pretty open degree compared to most.

Yeah, i am aware of the fact that most creative jobs don't exactly pay much and are pretty hard to find.But i'm up for still trying. I am even thinking of giving go at maybe the fashion industry or something. Personally, i just don't want to stay in an office doing the same mundane things, monday to friday.

I see where you're coming from. Well, you could definitely do creative things if money is not what you're after. Tbh the majority with an Arts degree in an academic subject from a respected institution will end up working in offices and doing the same mundane things. No one said work was fun :P

But you could go into fashion as you've said but surely you're choosing the wrong degree :s-smilie: People who do law and the essay subject probably aren't creative enough as tbh we just follow books, rules, norms and the way things are.

Tbh, I rate History, Law, Geography, Politics and Philosophy on the same level in terms of employ ability. Economics only slightly ahead but even then a lot of it doesn't work in the real world.
Reply 5
Original post by Makebelieve15
I see where you're coming from. Well, you could definitely do creative things if money is not what you're after. Tbh the majority with an Arts degree in an academic subject from a respected institution will end up working in offices and doing the same mundane things. No one said work was fun :P

But you could go into fashion as you've said but surely you're choosing the wrong degree :s-smilie: People who do law and the essay subject probably aren't creative enough as tbh we just follow books, rules, norms and the way things are.

Tbh, I rate History, Law, Geography, Politics and Philosophy on the same level in terms of employ ability. Economics only slightly ahead but even then a lot of it doesn't work in the real world.

Yeah, i have a few friends who went to study the arts at a couple of well decent art uni's, are just going from temp to temp jobs.

Lol, money is defo what i'm looking for lol!! I just would rather do something that isn't some dead end job that i would hate, just because it pays very good. Hence, why i am intrigued whether there are any creative careers that have a sort of decent pay (I expect, there are not that there are a few big pay creative jobs and that it prob would take years to earn those big salaries).

Ha, the idea of going into fashion was completely random tbh! It just came to me, only a few hours ago. Nah, i wouldn't mind prob being the editior, fashion journalist or something. I could maybe doing a fashion journalist internships in the summer, maybe? Well, i dunno...I Just want to have sort of career that involves some sort of creativity

I mean, don't get me wrong. I love the fact that i studying a really well respected degree like law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending