The Student Room Group

Mechanics 1 - Newtons laws of motion homework HELP

there's 2 questions I'm stuck on. first one is:

4) a car of mass 900kg tows a caravan of mass 500kg against resistances totaling 700N. the resistances on the car and caravan are proportional to their masses (k x mass, k is a constant). the car is accelerating at 0.8ms-2 along a horizontal road. by modeling the car and caravan as a pair of connected particles, find the driving force exerted by the engine and the tension in the tow-bar.

6) a block A of mass 100kg suspended by a vertical cable. a block B of mass 150kg is suspended from A by means of a second vertical cable. the blocks are raised 10m in 10 seconds, starting from rest. find the tension in each cable.

any help is appreciated!! thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by rodstagraam

4) a car of mass 900kg tows a caravan of mass 500kg against resistances totaling 700N. the resistances on the car and caravan are proportional to their masses (k x mass, k is a constant). the car is accelerating at 0.8ms-2 along a horizontal road. by modeling the car and caravan as a pair of connected particles, find the driving force exerted by the engine and the tension in the tow-bar.

And what have you tried

This is a fairly standard question (apart from the proportional part) so the standard method should be clear
Reply 2
Original post by rodstagraam

6) a block A of mass 100kg suspended by a vertical cable. a block B of mass 150kg is suspended from A by means of a second vertical cable. the blocks are raised 10m in 10 seconds, starting from rest. find the tension in each cable.

any help is appreciated!! thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Try drawing some free body diagrams for a start.

Quick Reply

Latest