The Student Room Group

Who Pays For Dinner On A Date?

Poll

Who Pays For The Meal?

Hey Guys;

Well, I know this may sound odd, but you know how now it is all about equality and stuff, I want to get your views on dates and who pays for the dinner/meal. =P

Do you pay for your share, split it 50/50 or does the guy pay for it all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd pay for my share. If he offers, than fine. But I won't expect him to pay for it.
Reply 2
This has been done many times before.

I'm married now, so date nights come out of our joint bank account unless it's a birthday or something. Previously we would either split it or alternate, though if he wanted to go somewhere really fancy during the period where he was working and I was still a student, he would pay.

In general, for a first date I think it is polite that the person who did the asking should be prepared to pay, but the other person should be willing to split it.
Reply 3
Whoever asked to go to dinner should be prepared to pay full price.

Other person should offer to pay half.
Reply 4
I'm a guy and I like to pay, I don't really like people spending money on me, kinda makes me feel guilty.
Reply 5
Women: fighting for equality except when it comes to paying for dinner.
Reply 6
Despite being as broke as an old cart, I still try to pay my own way.
Reply 7
There is no set rule I think..whoever offers first and is the most willing....

...if neither are keen make a runner I say! :wink:
Reply 8
The restaurant, if you run fast enough.
Reply 9
I have/would never let a guy pay for dinner.

It is SEXISM! And unfair, I always pay half even when there like "no no no".
Reply 10
Original post by LISSEY
I'm old fashioned as I believe if a guy takes you on a date then he should pay for dinner. :wink:

Good luck finding a date then. It should be out of generosity from the guy, not a compulsory thing.
Reply 11
On a first date I'd insist on paying for it all, I'd never ask a girl out to dinner and expect her to pay for it, or her share. However, I would expect her to at least offer for to pay her share, but I'd refuse.

After that, if the date/dinner is a mutual kinda thing than i'd go sharesies.
Original post by LISSEY
I'm old fashioned as I believe if a guy takes you on a date then he should pay for dinner. :wink:

So you'd also be prepared to do all his cooking, cleaning and ironing? Or do you just pick and choose the bits of being 'old fashioned' that suit you?
Reply 13
I will always pay my way, or go 50/50. I would never expect to be paid for.

If I going out with a boyfriend then I would pay in full, and then expect him to pay next time. Or treat them if it was a birthday or special occasion.
Reply 14
The one who initiated the date (and also therefore chose the restaurant). I will offer to pay for my share, but I have never experienced that a guy who asked me out suggested to split it.

A while into dating though, I'll try to offer other things. Like if he's paid for drinks and we share a taxi back, I'll just pay for it before he has the chance.
Most of the time I'm dating guys a few years older who's already working and they'll never let me (still a student) pay for anything.
I've been dating a guy who's from an insanely rich French family and I try to chip in now and then just to assure him I'm not dating him for the money/that he pays for me.

I'm generally into traditional gender roles. A lot of guys claim that women want the best parts of equality only. Although that is true for some (perhaps for British women), it is not true for all, and slightly unfair. I am not supportive of the current radical feminist society and I didn't ask for it. I am traditional all the way, and I am not a feminist. I take care of a boyfriend, I like to cook for him and I think both parties have a responsibility for the other, even if their 'roles' are different. Naturally I attract men with the same traditional view. For the last guys I've dated, they have either paid the bill while I'm in the bathroom or they do it while I'm there, and refuse to let me look at it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I voted for 50/50. I used to think it was about paying for your own share but have since been enlightened as to the fact that as long as both parties can reasonably afford to split 50/50, it takes the focus off money and you can get what you want without thinking about it too much. It's totally up to the two people in question though. It could be annoying if you're used to getting the salad and the other person wants the lobster (I am totally that other person though - if I want something awesome I'm going to get it!).

However, in my current situation, my other half ultimately pays for everything. He has a full time job, I have no job. I'm not even entitled to benefits because I'm foreign and have never had a job here, and I still haven't paid off my overdraft since I left uni. Hoping to get a bloody job soon though! It's nice to feel like my bills are getting paid for once but we're not particularly comfortable and I have basically no power over many things in my life while I'm dependent on his salary.
I'm a traditional man, so I believe going to the toilet and climbing out the window and leaving the woman to pay, is the right thing to do.
Reply 17
Original post by Quilt
Whoever asked to go to dinner should be prepared to pay full price.

Other person should offer to pay half.

That is sexist, you know women would not ask a man for dinner and will wait for him.
Reply 18
Original post by Rooster523
So you'd also be prepared to do all his cooking, cleaning and ironing? Or do you just pick and choose the bits of being 'old fashioned' that suit you?

If I asked a guy on a date then I'd pay. :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by SheldonWannabe
I'm a traditional man, so I believe going to the toilet and climbing out the window and leaving the woman to pay, is the right thing to do.

Ha...yer treat them mean keep em keen is the best bet..!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending