The Student Room Group

Sexism in Uk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacob :)
I was slammed on this site for saying I'm attracted to women who act feminine and find masculine women unattractive. Of course it's fine for women to only want masculine men...

Unfortunately we males are second class citizens...
Original post by edithwashere
It's socially unacceptable but you won't be arrested for indecent exposure, whilst a topless woman in public can be under current law.

Funnily enough that's because women have breasts. Duh...
Original post by Malabarista
The Everyday Sexism Project is a sexist piece of ****. It is fundamentally flawed in that it only sets out to document the sexism experienced by women, not by men.

:confused: Did you even read my second sentence? It's for women, that doesn't make it sexist, and there are a fair few examples on there which have been submitted by men. Go set up your own page for men to document their experiences with sexism if you don't like it, but you can't just write it off just because it's for one specific group of people to document their experiences.
:confused: Did you even read my second sentence? It's for women, that doesn't make it sexist, and there are a fair few examples on there which have been submitted by men. Go set up your own page for men to document their experiences with sexism if you don't like it, but you can't just write it off just because it's for one specific group of people to document their experiences.

Yes it does exactly that if it's only taking into account sexism faced by women.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
The Everyday Sexism Project is a sexist piece of ****. It is fundamentally flawed in that it only sets out to document the sexism experienced by women, not by men.

Yeah, I don't get the point of it except to make women depressed. Obviously most men are decent, but reading that site is just going to wrongly make you upset and resent men. It is to men what the Daily Mail is to immigrants.

Some of the examples there aren't even accurate!

Here's one from 'Rebecca':

'My 65 year old, married mother was trying to get past a drunk man in a crowded train aisle and he tried to kiss her.'

That's not sexism, that's a drunkard being drunk.

Check this gem from 'Valerie' out:

'My partner and I are both equally skilled, qualified and educated. In fact I probably have a higher academic and knowledge background than him. We have both been seeking new roles.
He landed a job paying £100,000. meanwhile I am struggling to even get interviews for jobs at £40,000. My fourteen year daughter asked me why this is?

I then had to sit her down and explain how the boys network works, discrimination against women and how this is likely to impact on her own aspirations as she moves into the world of work'

The woman is clearly delusional. She just assumed that because she was a woman she wasn't landing the well-paid jobs. She didn't stop to think that her CV could have been crap at all.
I like effeminate men far more than masculine men. "Masculine" men have much more of a tendency to try and physically abuse you, I have found from my own experiences. Being feminine shouldn't be looked down upon whatever gender it appears in.

Everyone's an individual of course. I still think a woman saying she wants her man to be 'strong' 'confident' or whatever traditionally masculine trait causes no offence compared to a man saying he wants his girlfriend to be more traditionally ladylike.
Only within religious organizations.
Reply 69
So go into the contraceptive industry and invest in a male pill, then. And vasectomies are reversible you know. Men have the choice not to become parents at the point of conception. After your sperm is in that fanny, you're done for. And frankly it's only your fault for letting it get in there in the first place.

I've read over your argument with this guy and every single one of your counter-arguments is either just a stupid ad hominem put-down or this kind of ridiculous nonsense. Invent a new drug? Are you for real? You're like a caricature of an ignorant feminist.

The fact is that the girl has just as much control over whether sex leads to conception as the guy does (in fact she technically has more but I cba going into that). She gets the chance to retroactively correct her mistakes by having an abortion, yet the man gets no such option; how is this fair? (obviously not suggesting men can force girls to get abortions, but men should be able to absolve themselves of any financial ties to the child).

Also, in response to one of your earlier posts:

It's socially unacceptable but you won't be arrested for indecent exposure, whilst a topless woman in public can be under current law.

No she can't. Please try to avoid using phrases like "under current law" when you have evidently done absolutely no research into what the current law actually states. This is again like a caricature of bad feminism; complaining about not being able to do something that (a) you are able to do and (b) nobody wants to do anyway. Honestly, grow up.
Everyone's an individual of course. I still think a woman saying she wants her man to be 'strong' 'confident' or whatever traditionally masculine trait causes no offence compared to a man saying he wants his girlfriend to be more traditionally ladylike.

That isn't what you said at all though. :colonhash: Remember me?

You actually said that women shouldn't swear, you'd want your wife to stay home and not have a job if you had children. You were not saying you wanted a feminine girlfriend, you were saying how you would expect a wife to behave.

I forget nothing. :cool:
Check this gem from 'Valerie' out:

'My partner and I are both equally skilled, qualified and educated. In fact I probably have a higher academic and knowledge background than him. We have both been seeking new roles.
He landed a job paying £100,000. meanwhile I am struggling to even get interviews for jobs at £40,000. My fourteen year daughter asked me why this is?

I then had to sit her down and explain how the boys network works, discrimination against women and how this is likely to impact on her own aspirations as she moves into the world of work'

The woman is clearly delusional. She just assumed that because she was a woman she wasn't landing the well-paid jobs. She didn't stop to think that her CV could have been crap at all.

Whilst some examples may not necessarily depict cases of sexism, many of them do. The ones about street harrassment are sickening. Don't write off the entire project just because a minority of entries are unrealistic.
Original post by koolkate
So I am going to write a persuasive essay on sexism in UK. I would like to know your opinion on whether you agree that sexism still exist in UK or not and please explain why? Thank You .

It exists.

But it exists for both sexes, sexism is not a "woman's issue", both sexes are discriminated against and both sexes need to work together to fight sexism in our society.
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
That isn't what you said at all though. :colonhash: Remember me?

You actually said that women shouldn't swear, you'd want your wife to stay home and not have a job if you had children. You were not saying you wanted a feminine girlfriend, you were saying how you would expect a wife to behave.

I forget nothing. :cool:

Haha! I certainly remember you Ms Lemons.

I never said they shouldn't swear I just said I don't find it attractive when they do. Girlfriend, wife, same thing really. Remember I stressed how it would be how I'd prefer them to be, not how I expect them to be. I'm not going to try and change them. As for staying home with the kids, and this was where I think I was most misunderstood, I'd want her to know she could do that if she wanted, not that she had to. I'd want to provide for all of us. But if she wants to work she can. All the more money for us!
Original post by anonymouspie227
Should it be frowned upon?

No, it shouldn't, as all they are is mammoy glands and fatty deposits, covered by skin. But it should be frowned upon in formal places and workplaces(except in one industry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! I certainly remember you Ms Lemons.

I never said they shouldn't swear I just said I don't find it attractive when they do. Girlfriend, wife, same thing really. Remember I stressed how it would be how I'd prefer them to be, not how I expect them to be. I'm not going to try and change them. As for staying home with the kids, and this was where I think I was most misunderstood, I'd want her to know she could do that if she wanted, not that she had to. I'd want to provide for all of us. But if she wants to work she can. All the more money for us!

Girlfriend: relationship with sex
Wife: relationship without sex.
Not the same ....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jreid1994
Girlfriend: relationship with sex
Wife: relationship without sex.
Not the same ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha! This man has it.
Original post by Domeface
I've read over your argument with this guy and every single one of your counter-arguments is either just a stupid ad hominem put-down or this kind of ridiculous nonsense. Invent a new drug? Are you for real? You're like a caricature of an ignorant feminist.

The fact is that the girl has just as much control over whether sex leads to conception as the guy does (in fact she technically has more but I cba going into that). She gets the chance to retroactively correct her mistakes by having an abortion, yet the man gets no such option; how is this fair? (obviously not suggesting men can force girls to get abortions, but men should be able to absolve themselves of any financial ties to the child).

Also, in response to one of your earlier posts:

No she can't. Please try to avoid using phrases like "under current law" when you have evidently done absolutely no research into what the current law actually states. This is again like a caricature of bad feminism; complaining about not being able to do something that (a) you are able to do and (b) nobody wants to do anyway. Honestly, grow up.

No inventing a new contraception from scratch is child play :rolleyes: yeah she's a moron, she has no idea just how complex it is she might as well have said go and invent the cure to aids then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ha! This man has it.

Shhh, I'm only telling the truth! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Sexism does still exist, but on the whole it's against men these days

Examples: there's 3 Women only gyms near me, no mens only ones as women would see that as sexist
Cancer researches race for life is for women only. No mens only equivalent
If a woman slaps a man no one bats an eyelid, if a man slaps a women its a massive deal (not saying men should be allowed to slap women, just saying that women should be judge the same if they slap a man. It's abuse no matter the gender)

I did list a load of these when some girl i know was calling all men sexist but i cant remember any more of them now haha
but you get the point
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending