The Student Room Group

How many hours should I revise for?

I'm doing my a2 exams at the minute. I have 7 exams and I'm aiming for AAB.

I've been off school for 3 months with personal issues, although I've got all the notes and materials, I'm confident if I get the revision sorted out then I could do it. I've started a bit but I want to start properly tomorrow. I'm off school so I have the full day to revise.

My concentration completely goes after about an hour and a half so I'll be taking a 15 minute break every 1.5 hours.

So, basically how many hours revision a day do you think I should be doing? I'm thinking about 5 hours a day, is that too little? Too much? Should I dedicate one day a week per exam or mix it up?

The subjects are Biology, ICT and History by the way :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Original post by llessur123

I've been off school for 3 months with personal issues, although I've got all the notes and materials, I'm confident if I get the revision sorted out then I could do it. I've started a bit but I want to start properly tomorrow. I'm off school so I have the full day to revise.

My concentration completely goes after about an hour and a half so I'll be taking a 15 minute break every 1.5 hours.

So, basically how many hours revision a day do you think I should be doing? I'm thinking about 5 hours a day, is that too little? Too much? Should I dedicate one day a week per exam or mix it up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on what you can manage and what would work best for you. For example someone could revise for about 10 hours a day and nothing could go in when another person could revise for about 3-4 hours and a lot more would go in.

I'm personally going to be doing about 6-7 hours a day during the holidays as I have 9 A2 exams in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and need A*A*A to get into university, just make sure you revise however works for you as you're more likely to retain the information better. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
It really depends on what you can manage and what would work best for you. For example someone could revise for about 10 hours a day and nothing could go in when another person could revise for about 3-4 hours and a lot more would go in.

I'm personally going to be doing about 6-7 hours a day during the holidays as I have 9 A2 exams in Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry and need A*A*A to get into university, just make sure you revise however works for you as you're more likely to retain the information better. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW, A*A*A*, what uni were u thinking of going to. Good luck:smile:
You said you had the materials from the last three months, but were you also working on them at the time? If not, I really don't think 5 hours per day will cover you.

I think if you have the full day (actually, do you just mean the full day tomorrow and during the holidays, or do you mean until the exams?) then you should be revising for the length of the school day (obviously taking breask) and then for as long as you would once you got home after school, particularly if you're making up for missing three months.

If you'll be at school after Easter then 5 hours in the evening sounds intense :eek:
Original post by Well Well....
WOW, A*A*A*, what uni were u thinking of going to. Good luck:smile:

It's just the 2 A*'s but they're in Maths and Further Maths so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to achieve them, the only part which I'm abit concerned with is the A in Chemistry, considering I only got a C last year it's going to be quite the challenge but I'm certain I can do it. :biggrin:

I've been given an offer from Warwick to study Maths and that's their standard offer so I have to achieve it, plus the extra STEP or AEA requirement too. And thanks, I'll definitely need it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's just the 2 A*'s but they're in Maths and Further Maths so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to achieve them, the only part which I'm abit concerned with is the A in Chemistry, considering I only got a C last year it's going to be quite the challenge but I'm certain I can do it. :biggrin:

I've been given an offer from Warwick to study Maths and that's their standard offer so I have to achieve it, plus the extra STEP or AEA requirement too. And thanks, I'll definitely need it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey same here man what board for chem?

Posted from TSR Mobile

which ICT exam board?
Original post by Craming Revision
hey same here man what board for chem?

OCR A, it seems to have some outrageous grade boundaries though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

4 hours a day perhaps. 1 hour on each subject will help stop you getting bored.
Reply 10
Original post by Miss Jean Brodie
You said you had the materials from the last three months, but were you also working on them at the time? If not, I really don't think 5 hours per day will cover you.

I think if you have the full day (actually, do you just mean the full day tomorrow and during the holidays, or do you mean until the exams?) then you should be revising for the length of the school day (obviously taking breask) and then for as long as you would once you got home after school, particularly if you're making up for missing three months.

If you'll be at school after Easter then 5 hours in the evening sounds intense :eek:

Nope, this will be my first time looking at them. I'll have the full day from now till exams. That would be like...12 hours a day, I don't know, seems a bit excessive to me.
Nope, this will be my first time looking at them. I'll have the full day from now till exams. That would be like...12 hours a day, I don't know, seems a bit excessive to me.

I didn't suggest 9-9, I meant the time you would usually be in lessons, and then the time you would spend doing homework in the evening, so you'd be doing the same amount of work as everyone else. Do whatever you feel will get you an A, tbh.
OCR A, it seems to have some outrageous grade boundaries though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

on the same boat as you! ughh need to get 90% in both f324/f325 for an A which is fkin impossible want to revise? :smile: and how is revision going i got 12 exams :/
on the same boat as you! ughh need to get 90% in both f324/f325 for an A which is fkin impossible want to revise? :smile: and how is revision going i got 12 exams :/

That's pretty rough, I feel quite pleased I only have 9 now but I'm also going to be sitting the first unit along with the 2 from this year too, so it's safe to say I've got my work cut out for me but I think I'll be able to turn it all around and if you want to, why not although I'm probably not the best at asking questions considering I haven't learnt all the content yet but I'll give it a go. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I think 5 hours a day are enough to revise if you purely revise without getting distracted :smile: If you do more than 5 hours a day, although it depends on a person, you might lose concentration as you'll get tired fast.
That's pretty rough, I feel quite pleased I only have 9 now but I'm also going to be sitting the first unit along with the 2 from this year too, so it's safe to say I've got my work cut out for me but I think I'll be able to turn it all around and if you want to, why not although I'm probably not the best at asking questions considering I haven't learnt all the content yet but I'll give it a go. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

when would you of learnt the questions? we can revise when you learnt it :smile: im doing bio atm when are you going to revise or have you started? easter hols for me is next week and going to be doing alot of chemistry that week btw did you sit f325 or f324 in jan?
Reply 16
I think 5 hours, but if you do 5 hours and still feel like you can do more then carry on. Sometimes I say I'll do 5 hours but end up doing about 8 and end up getting a lot more done. Go with the flow :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
when would you of learnt the questions? we can revise when you learnt it :smile: im doing bio atm when are you going to revise or have you started? easter hols for me is next week and going to be doing alot of chemistry that week btw did you sit f325 or f324 in jan?

I would say I will have learnt the majority of the content before Easter so maybe we could do some then? And I've already started abit of revision, wrote down all the definitions for each unit on separate cards and examples of them and mechanisms used, etc so I think that should help me and I did F324 in January, however I got a D in it so I must do better come June!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say I will have learnt the majority of the content before Easter so maybe we could do some then? And I've already started abit of revision, wrote down all the definitions for each unit on separate cards and examples of them and mechanisms used, etc so I think that should help me and I did F324 in January, however I got a D in it so I must do better come June!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i got a d in f325 :frown:
really hard paper f325 was so its going to be alot easier in june and i heard f324 was reeally easy in jan so might be harder in june :/ atm i dont understand f324 but you need any help call me :biggrin:
i got a d in f325 :frown:
really hard paper f325 was so its going to be alot easier in june and i heard f324 was reeally easy in jan so might be harder in june :/ atm i dont understand f324 but you need any help call me :biggrin:

Really? Also out of curiosity how much of the exam would you say would be maths based and what part would be theory based as the majority that we have already done just seems like a lot of maths really, just application really and I got 70% raw marks but got the D so I very much dislike the easier exams as the boundaries are sky high! Also thanks, I'll come to you if I need any help then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending