The Student Room Group

Applying for DSA.

I am wondering if anyone who has gone through the application process for DSA could help me at all.

I suffer from depression and anxiety, and will be applying for DSA when I apply for my tuition fee's, when student finance allows, in the summer (part time).

I am wondering how it all works? IE do I have to send evidence and, if so, when this needs to be sent? What things count as evidence? If it's a letter from my GP, does it have to be dated within a certain time period? I have a report from a therapist, but it is approximately 6 months old - I assume this would be too 'old'?

Also, do I tell them what I think my needs are? Or do they just assess me and then decide for me? I think something such as a recording device would be extremely helpful, as would having extra time in examinations (due to my concentration) as well as a mentor at university. I don't need help with any extra travel costs or anything like that.

What about things such as extra time in examinations, is that under DSA, or do I speak with my university about such requests?

Any help would be fantastic, and greatly appreciated.
This is what happens, in a nutshell:

1. You apply and send off for you DSA application, with a recent letter from your doctor about your disability.
2. Within fifteen working days, you will get a letter back saying if you are eligible for DSA.
3. If you are, you will receive a letter confirming it, and you will need to book a Needs Assessment.
4. You will then attend a Needs Assessment, within ten working days, and you can discuss with the assessor what equipment and/or help you will need at University.
5. They will write a report to SFE, which you may also get a copy of.
6. Within roughly 20 working days, you will then receive a letter saying that they have agreed to fund your DSA.
7. You will then need to order your equipment with there recommended supplier.
8. The SFA will pay your supplier direct.
9. You should then receive your kit within ten working days.
Reply 2
Original post by CelticSymphony67
This is what happens, in a nutshell:

1. You apply and send off for you DSA application, with a recent letter from your doctor about your disability.
2. Within fifteen working days, you will get a letter back saying if you are eligible for DSA.
3. If you are, you will receive a letter confirming it, and you will need to book a Needs Assessment.
4. You will then attend a Needs Assessment, within ten working days, and you can discuss with the assessor what equipment and/or help you will need at University.
5. They will write a report to SFE, which you may also get a copy of.
6. Within roughly 20 working days, you will then receive a letter saying that they have agreed to fund your DSA.
7. You will then need to order your equipment with there recommended supplier.
8. The SFA will pay your supplier direct.
9. You should then receive your kit within ten working days.

Thank you so much for your help!

When I apply for my tuition fee loan, do I apply for DSA online, or is it a 'tick box' type thing, whereby they send me out a pack to fill in, and send back along with my evidence?
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
Thank you so much for your help!

When I apply for my tuition fee loan, do I apply for DSA online, or is it a 'tick box' type thing, whereby they send me out a pack to fill in, and send back along with my evidence?

They send out a pack for you. I seem to remember that there's a box to tick to say you wish to claim / receive more information about DSA.
In your Tuition Loan application, it will ask you if you wish to apply for DSA. You click yes, and when you complete your online loan application, they will then send you out some DSA paperwork to fill out and then send back to them. Your University can also send you the DSA paperwork as you are a P/T Student.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by OU Student
They send out a pack for you. I seem to remember that there's a box to tick to say you wish to claim / receive more information about DSA.

Thank you very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest