The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Uni - Firmed Offers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MissMabey
I'm from the south of England so I know how you feel about that! Although I've had a bit of a head start as I've been living here since August. It's kinda weird being so far away from home but Glasgow and the west end is just so nice that's it really not that bad.

Oh really?! Where abouts down south? I'm from Suffolk, so south-east coast.

I loved the city when I visited, but I keep getting a lot of comments about the level of crime in Glasgow. Is it really that bad or have people built it up a lot more than it actually is?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by pajeee
Oh really?! Where abouts down south? I'm from Suffolk, so south-east coast.

I loved the city when I visited, but I keep getting a lot of comments about the level of crime in Glasgow. Is it really that bad or have people built it up a lot more than it actually is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

West Sussex so south east too!

There are unpleasant bits, and they're really unpleasant, but I've not even been anywhere near them while I've lived here and there's absolutely no reason to. The uni and (I think) accommodation are in the West End which is really very nice, I haven't had any problems so far. Byres Road, the main commercial bit, has some great stuff. I was a bit worried too but it's all been fine. The worst thing is the occasional friendly mocking for my posh southern accent. :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by MissMabey
West Sussex so south east too!

There are unpleasant bits, and they're really unpleasant, but I've not even been anywhere near them while I've lived here and there's absolutely no reason to. The uni and (I think) accommodation are in the West End which is really very nice, I haven't had any problems so far. Byres Road, the main commercial bit, has some great stuff. I was a bit worried too but it's all been fine. The worst thing is the occasional friendly mocking for my posh southern accent. :tongue:

My accent has worried me! I have a typical southern one too, and so I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb in Glasgow!
The thing is, any city will have it's rough bits, and I guess it's just knowing where not to go. Will be so weird though, since I can walk home after midnight alone here without any worries, it's that safe/ quiet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pajeee
My accent has worried me! I have a typical southern one too, and so I know I'll stick out like a sore thumb in Glasgow!
The thing is, any city will have it's rough bits, and I guess it's just knowing where not to go. Will be so weird though, since I can walk home after midnight alone here without any worries, it's that safe/ quiet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll only ever find yourself either in 1 of 3 places, student accom, uni and the city which you'll take the underground for that. You'll never have to go into the bad areas so really it's just like any other place and watch your surrounding. The uni itself is in one of the nicest areas in the city which is a bonus.

Posted from TSR Mobilek
Reply 24
Original post by pajeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think there's a lot of English students around, but it won't mark you out or anything. :tongue: I think the walking alone after midnight is just a city thing in general really, I used to live in a small town and it wasn't anything I'd even think about. I do tend to be more careful here but I think I would be in any city. Trust me, you'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 25
Firmed dentistry and put murano as my first choice... To my parents disgust
Primary education and chose 4-5 person flat in murano! Can't wait to meet my flat mates :smile:
Reply 27
Confirmed Software Engineering and 1st choice Murano Large Flats, though I'm kinda wishing I'd put 4-5 person flats now! :\
Reply 28
Maths :smile:
Vet med :smile: still undecided on halls, not Wolfson though!
Just firmed aeronautical engineering, will be living at home, roll on september
Reply 31
Original post by Brodieh88
Primary education and chose 4-5 person flat in murano! Can't wait to meet my flat mates :smile:

Me too, but I'm in kelvin court (unite) dying to speak to the three I'm sharing with!
Reply 32
History :smile: From Northern Ireland, applied to QM accommodation :biggrin:
Reply 33
i accepted glasgow as my firm for biochemistry, hoping to get into qm halls :frown:
Reply 34
Law and Economics. Need 2As and a B. So far on 2Cs and an E or D. oh God help me
I also applied to QM in the end as my first choice, maybe see some of you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Economics/Business and management (joint honours).

I am from Bangladesh, really excited about starting university. I just need 2 B's to meet the conditional offer, so I am kind of relaxed at the moment. I am going to apply for private accommodation (Mansion Firhill Court), although I have already applied for University accommodation just in case.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
I firmed for Dentistry a week or two ago, and put QM as my first choice - the halls were so lovely! The only thing that worries me is how far away they are from everything, bit worried about walking back from things in the night :K:
Original post by stuntout
History :smile: From Northern Ireland, applied to QM accommodation :biggrin:

I'm just coming to the end of my first year in history, all I can recommend is read as many books as you can over the summer, doesn't matter what they are just read and get used to reading lots.

Posted from TSR Mobilek

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending