The Student Room Group

Reapplying for UCL

Hello, I'm really stuck and would like some advice. I will try and do my best to explain.

I am a year 13 retaker of A2 levels. I applied in the UCAS 2012/2013 cycle for entry in sept/oct 2013.

I did not apply at the start of year 13 because AS grades were very low.
This was due to death of grandparents (in which I had to go back to my home country, and missed 2 months of school and wasn't able to catchup with the work, as I was going through a very tough time then).

I ended up getting AS: CCDEE (maths, english lit, critical thinking, bio and chem respectively), which is why I didn't bother to apply.

I did not retake Year 12, but carried on to Year 13 with Maths, Bio and Chem A2 levels, while entering for re-sits on all (9/10) AS modules.

I managed to achieve grades BCC in Chem, Bio and Maths respectively, and at the same time pulling my AS grades up to BBBCC in maths, chem, english lit, bio and critical thinking respectively. (I had a total of 14 exams across may/june of 2012).

Due to having this many exams in the summer term, I did not have undivided attention to my modules, so I did not do as well as I could have done. However, if I did not retake alot of my AS modules, my overall A-level grades would have been MUCH LOWER than BCC.

I decided to retake Year 13(currently this year), and applied for Chemistry/Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Queen Mary, King's College, UCL, and Imperial.

My predictions for this year are AABa in maths, chemistry, biology, and further mathematics AS.

I have received an offer for Pharm Chem and Queen Marys, however, I have been rejected from UCL post-interview. The reason for this was my UCAS application was not as strong as other applicants; I fully understand it is a top university and obviously attracts very well qualified applicants.
(My interview was very good, and so not the deciding factor of me being unsuccessful).

However, I would really like to undertake a Chemistry degree from UCL, as I really like the place, having been to alot of their open days, and from talking to students etc.

If at the end of this year, I manage to achieve A*A*A*a in maths, chemistry, biology and further mathematics AS (along with a B in english lit and C in critical thinking which I already have), will it be worth re-applying to UCL and Imperial?

My GCSEs contain couple of A's, few B'c and some C's as I went to an underachieving secondary school, and teaching/atmosphere was really bad. The As and Bs were in triple science, maths and english lang/lit.

Do you guys think I may have a shot of getting into UCL next year with A*A*A*abc for a chemistry degree?

I have some extra-curricular - Grade 8 violin, playing with orchestras etc.

Please can anybody who has been in this position or knows somebody who has or is in this position help me out??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have picked up the further mathematics AS due to hearing alot on open days that mathematics is very crucial in Chemistry degrees, and I felt like doing another AS, as revising all the A2 modules may bore me a little as I have done them last year.

My January exams in maths/further maths and chemistry and put me on track for A*s in maths and chemistry and on track for an A in further maths AS
Original post by Coral Reafs
Hello, I'm really stuck and would like some advice. I will try and do my best to explain.

I am a year 13 retaker of A2 levels. I applied in the UCAS 2012/2013 cycle for entry in sept/oct 2013.

I did not apply at the start of year 13 because AS grades were very low.
This was due to death of grandparents (in which I had to go back to my home country, and missed 2 months of school and wasn't able to catchup with the work, as I was going through a very tough time then).

I ended up getting AS: CCDEE (maths, english lit, critical thinking, bio and chem respectively), which is why I didn't bother to apply.

I did not retake Year 12, but carried on to Year 13 with Maths, Bio and Chem A2 levels, while entering for re-sits on all (9/10) AS modules.

I managed to achieve grades BCC in Chem, Bio and Maths respectively, and at the same time pulling my AS grades up to BBBCC in maths, chem, english lit, bio and critical thinking respectively. (I had a total of 14 exams across may/june of 2012).

Due to having this many exams in the summer term, I did not have undivided attention to my modules, so I did not do as well as I could have done. However, if I did not retake alot of my AS modules, my overall A-level grades would have been MUCH LOWER than BCC.

I decided to retake Year 13(currently this year), and applied for Chemistry/Pharmaceutical Chemistry at Queen Mary, King's College, UCL, and Imperial.

My predictions for this year are AABa in maths, chemistry, biology, and further mathematics AS.

I have received an offer for Pharm Chem and Queen Marys, however, I have been rejected from UCL post-interview. The reason for this was my UCAS application was not as strong as other applicants; I fully understand it is a top university and obviously attracts very well qualified applicants.
(My interview was very good, and so not the deciding factor of me being unsuccessful).

However, I would really like to undertake a Chemistry degree from UCL, as I really like the place, having been to alot of their open days, and from talking to students etc.

If at the end of this year, I manage to achieve A*A*A*a in maths, chemistry, biology and further mathematics AS (along with a B in english lit and C in critical thinking which I already have), will it be worth re-applying to UCL and Imperial?

My GCSEs contain couple of A's, few B'c and some C's as I went to an underachieving secondary school, and teaching/atmosphere was really bad. The As and Bs were in triple science, maths and english lang/lit.

Do you guys think I may have a shot of getting into UCL next year with A*A*A*abc for a chemistry degree?

I have some extra-curricular - Grade 8 violin, playing with orchestras etc.

Please can anybody who has been in this position or knows somebody who has or is in this position help me out??

It should be fine reapplying make sure your circumstances are explained in your reference. I am techincally in my 4th year of college - had a lot of difficulties first time around at 6th form and got ACEu then changed 6th form. Originally applied for 2011 entry and was rejected by UCL. Now I have an offer for 2013 entry and will hopefully be going there in September. Albeit for French and German so a little different probably admissions wise compared to Chemistry. Still, I really recommend you reapply.
Reply 3
Original post by Gummibaerchen
It should be fine reapplying make sure your circumstances are explained in your reference. I am techincally in my 4th year of college - had a lot of difficulties first time around at 6th form and got ACEu then changed 6th form. Originally applied for 2011 entry and was rejected by UCL. Now I have an offer for 2013 entry and will hopefully be going there in September. Albeit for French and German so a little different probably admissions wise compared to Chemistry. Still, I really recommend you reapply.

Wow, it is really amazing how you got an offer for Languages which is I believe more competitive than chemistry and harder (in terms of admission criteria).

But thank you very much for this information as it has really given me some hope (which I desperately need at this difficult time).

I wish you all the very best.

If you don't mind me asking, were your circumstances very serious?
And are you still looking to finish your A-levels this summer too?
(edited 11 years ago)
You could firm Queen Mary and then if you do the the really high grades you think you could, you could go through adjustment and see if UCL or Imperial have any places for chemistry still. If they don't and you think reapplying is what you want to do you can always decline your place at Queen Mary and reapply to next year.
Wow, it is really amazing how you got an offer for Languages which is I believe more competitive than chemistry and harder (in terms of admission criteria).

But thank you very much for this information as it has really given me some hope (which I desperately need at this difficult time).

I wish you all the very best.

If you don't mind me asking, were your circumstances very serious?
And are you still looking to finish your A-levels this summer too?

Basically I had severe depression and it got really bad between gcse and a levels. It's.not so bad right now but obviously I had that explained in my reference. I was lucky enough that they included my A from first time around so I have an offer of AA. I am only retaking German though I took 2 different subjects.
Yeah I finish a levels this summer
Thanks I hope you do well too!
Reply 6

4th year of college, so you what like a million years old now? :biggrin:
Original post by yaboy
4th year of college, so you what like a million years old now? :biggrin:

Last time I checked 16 + 4 = 20... I guess your addition is a little rusty. I will let you off this time :wink:
Reply 8
Last time I checked 16 + 4 = 20... I guess your addition is a little rusty. I will let you off this time :wink:

pfft I need an A* in maths aswell :afraid:
Reply 9
Basically I had severe depression and it got really bad between gcse and a levels. It's.not so bad right now but obviously I had that explained in my reference. I was lucky enough that they included my A from first time around so I have an offer of AA. I am only retaking German though I took 2 different subjects.
Yeah I finish a levels this summer
Thanks I hope you do well too!

ok, that is very nice, well done on your offer.

I'm currently 19, so I will know if I will be able to re-apply on august 15th, if I get A*A*A*a that is. And I will be 19 upon re-applying because all I'd need to do is enter same info on UCAS form apart from grades/references so I will still be 20 by the end of this year, but will be 19 upon re-applying ( I would basicly send off UCAS in like september); and 20 upon entry to the course.
ok, that is very nice, well done on your offer.

I'm currently 19, so I will know if I will be able to re-apply on august 15th, if I get A*A*A*a that is. And I will be 19 upon re-applying because all I'd need to do is enter same info on UCAS form apart from grades/references so I will still be 20 by the end of this year, but will be 19 upon re-applying ( I would basicly send off UCAS in like september); and 20 upon entry to the course.

Thank you! I am sure you will get an offer if you re-apply. Plus if you end up reapplying and you take a gap year you can do lots of non academic stuff that they will probably like.
Don't worry about your age, I will be 21 3 months into in my first year at uni :P At universities are very understanding about extenuating circumstances. I got all my university offers so they really don't discriminate :smile: It's only if you have done loads of repeats because you're just lazy or couldn't be bothered that they will be like hmmmmmmmm.
Original post by yaboy
pfft I need an A* in maths aswell :afraid:

Haha you'll be fine :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by x__justmyluck
You could firm Queen Mary and then if you do the the really high grades you think you could, you could go through adjustment and see if UCL or Imperial have any places for chemistry still. If they don't and you think reapplying is what you want to do you can always decline your place at Queen Mary and reapply to next year.

If I firm Queen Marys and I end up getting A*A*A*a on august 15th, obviously the uni's someone has firmed will know results in the morning before the students, and may accept/decline according to results.

If I do get those grades, they would accept me, but then how would I drop out(or cancel) the Queen Mary choice if I wanted to re-apply to UCl etc.??

btw, UCL and Imperial do not have clearing/adjustment (mainly because almost everyone who holds an offer meets it, and they oversubscribe due to some people having them as insurance or a small percentage failing to meet the very high necessities of Imperial and in some cases the AAA for UCL).
Reply 13
Thank you! I am sure you will get an offer if you re-apply. Plus if you end up reapplying and you take a gap year you can do lots of non academic stuff that they will probably like.
Don't worry about your age, I will be 21 3 months into in my first year at uni :P At universities are very understanding about extenuating circumstances. I got all my university offers so they really don't discriminate :smile: It's only if you have done loads of repeats because you're just lazy or couldn't be bothered that they will be like hmmmmmmmm.

Was emailing the UCL, you were right, they do not discriminate against age.

They said, you need to state the circumstances.

When I applied in Dec 2012 for 2013 entry, I didn't tell my UCAS officer at school about the circumstances because I did not think the universities took them into account... obviously I was very wrong, (I know this only now because I didn't apply at the start of Year 13 -- poor AS performance etc.)

Oh don't worry about lazy, I'd like to think I'm anything but.

So if I state FULLY the circumstances of poor AS performance next cycle, you really think I'd have a shot?
Was emailing the UCL, you were right, they do not discriminate against age.

They said, you need to state the circumstances.

When I applied in Dec 2012 for 2013 entry, I didn't tell my UCAS officer at school about the circumstances because I did not think the universities took them into account... obviously I was very wrong, (I know this only now because I didn't apply at the start of Year 13 -- poor AS performance etc.)

Oh don't worry about lazy, I'd like to think I'm anything but.

So if I state FULLY the circumstances of poor AS performance next cycle, you really think I'd have a shot?

If your referee fully explains it then yeah you will be in for a shot. Put it this way if I got an offer you certainly can.
Reply 15
Original post by x__justmyluck

If your referee fully explains it then yeah you will be in for a shot. Put it this way if I got an offer you certainly can.

Abit late, but I re-applied with my grades, and am holding Unconditionals from UCL (got the offer last november :biggrin: )

Thanks alot to the both of you, the encouragements really helped me get back on my feet :smile:
Abit late, but I re-applied with my grades, and am holding Unconditionals from UCL (got the offer last november :biggrin: )

Thanks alot to the both of you, the encouragements really helped me get back on my feet :smile:

I just read your story. Haha. Congrats on the offer. It makes me, a mature and international student feel that there's hope. Although I'm not applying to UCL..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
My predictions for this year are AABa in maths, chemistry, biology, and further mathematics AS. ... If at the end of this year, I manage to achieve A*A*A*a in maths, chemistry, biology and further mathematics AS

That's a big jump; whereabouts are you now in terms of grades?

If QMUL would be better for you in terms of not being overly stressful with academic pressure, then perhaps that's the better option. I mean, UCL isn't going anywhere. You could always go postgrad there.
Reply 18

Only just saw this, so ignore my reply above.

That's seriously very impressive! Congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Congratulations, glad it all worked out for you :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending