The Student Room Group

Sexism in Uk

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Hopple
Yeah, I don't get the point of it except to make women depressed. Obviously most men are decent, but reading that site is just going to wrongly make you upset and resent men. It is to men what the Daily Mail is to immigrants.

Unfortunately i have to agree, 5 pages in and i began to feel tingles of hatred for the male gender. I cant read it for too long, although it does make you think 'what would i do in that situation' and could maybe help you prepare for facing some of those situations.

If anything it would be very useful for guys maybe to see things from womens point of view, such as if guys yell things they may consider complimentary in the street it is actually intimidating and upsetting for us, or what they consider a joke in the workplace might actually be seen as offensive and unprofessional.
Reply 81
One thing I have noticed is that women of all ages are quite happy to jokingly refer to men as stupid, idiotic etc, whereas whenever a man says something only slightly sexist (or even the exact same thing but about women not men) they get slated for it.
Original post by Beth_L_G
Sexism does still exist, but on the whole it's against men these days

Examples: there's 3 Women only gyms near me, no mens only ones as women would see that as sexist
Cancer researches race for life is for women only. No mens only equivalent

I did list a load of these when some girl i know was calling all men sexist but i cant remember any more of them now haha
but you get the point

I would say it's a horrible mixture of both you could write a long long list for both gender.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
Sexism does still exist, but on the whole it's against men these days

Examples: there's 3 Women only gyms near me, no mens only ones as women would see that as sexist I dont go to the gym myself but i know a lot of people that do and i think women only sessions have come in mainly due to some guys being disrespectful to the women in the gym, so maybe these guys should look at their own behaviour before moaning that women have asked to be removed from them and calling it sexist. of course if there was a demand for mens only sessions then surely they would be given? Have any guys actually tried to ask? or do you all just moan - 'They made the effort to ask and got it, blatently sexism!'
Cancer researches race for life is for women only. No mens only equivalent

I did list a load of these when some girl i know was calling all men sexist but i cant remember any more of them now haha
but you get the point

As for race for life, indeed very sexist. i see no reason why men should not join in and is insulting to those men who have lost someone and those men who do get breast cancer.
Reply 84
Original post by james22
One thing I have noticed is that women of all ages are quite happy to jokingly refer to men as stupid, idiotic etc, whereas whenever a man says something only slightly sexist (or even the exact same thing but about women not men) they get slated for it.

see I would say this is the other way around
maybe a grass is greener on the other side situation? :tongue:
Reply 85
Original post by kunoichi
As for race for life, indeed very sexist. i see no reason why men should not join in and is insulting to those men who have lost someone and those men who do get breast cancer.

Last time i did it there was a group of lads doing it in drag just so they could join in and what you said there proves another point ive made about it. As its women only people presume its for breast cancer, when it's actually for all cancers! There is no good reason for men not to be allowed to do it!
Unfortunately i have to agree, 5 pages in and i began to feel tingles of hatred for the male gender. I cant read it for too long, although it does make you think 'what would i do in that situation' and could maybe help you prepare for facing some of those situations.

If anything it would be very useful for guys maybe to see things from womens point of view, such as if guys yell things they may consider complimentary in the street it is actually intimidating and upsetting for us, or what they consider a joke in the workplace might actually be seen as offensive and unprofessional.

This^ but to be honest, some men are just disrespectful in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Last time i did it there was a group of lads doing it in drag just so they could join in and what you said there proves another point ive made about it. As its women only people presume its for breast cancer, when it's actually for all cancers! There is no good reason for men not to be allowed to do it!

Completely agree, maybe a petition should be started.
Reply 88
Original post by jreid1994
This^ but to be honest, some men are just disrespectful in general.

Posted from TSR Mobile

unfortunately so and i have a feeling the type of guys who need to read it are the type who wouldnt care anyway :frown:

The spending ratio on prostate cancer: breast cancer is like 4:1 for that charity, honestly it's pretty blatantly sexist, one of the campaigns had a picture saying fight cancer it was a woman wearing boxing gloves beating up a man :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90

According to wikipedia they did a one off mens only due to complaints but the proceeds only went towards bowel cancer. Also says they are considering a "non Discriminative entrance policy" in the future
Girlfriend: relationship with sex
Wife: relationship without sex.
Not the same ....

Posted from TSR Mobile

... When we're talking about sexism, really? :rolleyes:

If I was married I'd bang my husband like a snare drum. :colonhash:
Reply 92
The spending ratio on prostate cancer: breast cancer is like 4:1 for that charity, honestly it's pretty blatantly sexist, one of the campaigns had a picture saying fight cancer it was a woman wearing boxing gloves beating up a man :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The awareness difference is due to how much effort has been put in by the charity people. Im not saying prostate cancer is less important at all, just that the particular charity hasnt as worked as hard yet as the Breast cancer one, but awareness is raising! When i was in sixth form we held events for prostate and testicular cancer.

Also if it makes you feel better about race for life ive just found a mens only charity event by cancer research where there are a series of men only bike rides. So that makes things a little fairer :smile:
Reply 93

I agree, for me the answer to this is bringing kids up in a more gender neutral environment, so they don't see the world in such a male and female based way.
Reply 94
According to wikipedia they did a one off mens only due to complaints but the proceeds only went towards bowel cancer. Also says they are considering a "non Discriminative entrance policy" in the future

well that sounds promising :smile:

theres also a mens only cycle ride for cancer research ive just found :smile:
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons

:colondollar: This, I like!
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons

I had to point it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jacob :)
:colondollar: This, I like!

I'm glad we agree on something. :biggrin:
Reply 98
Original post by redferry
I agree, for me the answer to this is bringing kids up in a more gender neutral environment, so they don't see the world in such a male and female based way.

yeah, gender based roles are so much part of our lives, even if we dont conform to them, those around us do,and it just becomes natural. It should be about people, not their genitals.
unfortunately so and i have a feeling the type of guys who need to read it are the type who wouldnt care anyway :frown:

Yeah,the same way that the same guys that rape women are also the same ones that violently mug men :frown:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1451606/Muggers-blamed-for-increase-in-gang-rapes.html

Honestly it's quite horrible really that a small few have to ruin life for the majority. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending