The Student Room Group

North Dakota has banned abortions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Xiomara
A cop out of what, exactly?

A cop out of a proper argument against whatever it is referring to.
Read freakonomics and the answer will become clear
Original post by doggyfizzel
Shotgun weddings galore.

Its dumb, the kids grow up in disfunction unprepared households, don't have the environment they need, become delinquents, and go on to commit crime, use hard drugs, and all the other things that contribute to a thriving society.

Someone else has read Freakonomics!
Reply 263
Original post by ufo2012
A cop out of a proper argument against whatever it is referring to.

Not really. OP posted a thread and asked for opinions. I gave mine - that North Dakota is clearly as backwards as ****.
If OP had posted a thread on abortion in general, fine taking it down to grassroots. But as this is referring to a specific example, I don't need to start my post with 'So the morality of abortion is blah blahblah....'
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 264
Original post by Xiomara
Not really. OP posted a thread and asked for opinions. I gave mine - that North Dakota is clearly as backwards as ****.
If OP had posted a thread on abortion in general, fine taking it down to grassroots. But as this is referring to a specific example, I don't need to start my post with 'So the morality of abortion is blah blahblah....'

I have no issue with that at all. A perfectly reasonable opinion.

It is whenever the year 2013 starts being thrown around as if that is worth anything at all.
Reply 265
Original post by ufo2012
I have no issue with that at all. A perfectly reasonable opinion.

It is whenever the year 2013 starts being thrown around as if that is worth anything at all.

Surely it does? In opposition to 1013, when attitudes like this were more understandable...(though still stupid).
The American Dream, **** yeah!
Original post by zedaa
Do you think that it'll increase or decrease unplanned pregnancies?

http://news.yahoo.com/north-dakota-lawmakers-approve-measure-could-ban-abortion-234631803.html

It'll increase traffic between Dakota and neighbouring states, especially in the weeks following major holidays, heat waves, cold spells, and every other phenomenon that encourages copulation.
Reply 268
Original post by JubilantYou
Here's a point. If you don't agree with abortions, don't have them. It's not fair to impose a law on others that agree with abortion.

Facile logic. People disagree with abortion because they understand a foetus to be a human being with the rights which attach to that status. If that is accepted, abortion is an attack on another.

You may as well suggest it is unfair to impose laws on murder or assault where there is a disagreement over who constitutes a person. It is a perfectly legitimate role for the state to involve itself in.

Original post by edithwashere
Imposing your beliefs on others and forcing them to do something that they don't want to do is wrong.

That's what the law exists to do.

Women have terminated unwanted pregnancies for thousands of years

The same can be said for murder, rape, assault, genocide, theft, tax evasion, blackmail... in fact, any criminal act which could have been done thousands of years ago given the limitations of knowledge and technology will have been done. Thousands of times. That people continue to assault and kill each other is no argument against laws prohibiting it.

making it illegal is proven not to lower the rate of abortions

I'm afraid that's blatently false.
Original post by Izzyeviel
Someone else has read Freakonomics!

Actually no, is it good?
Original post by doggyfizzel
Actually no, is it good?

It's an eye-opening reading, I thought it was a good book.
Original post by redferry
That is a VERY late term abortion.
Early term you just take a pill and it comes out your vag along with your womb lining
Mid term they just suck it out.

Oh, is that all they do? :lolwut:

I'm very undecided on abortion, but this new law is ridiculous. It won't help matters, it will just increase backstreet abortions.
The issue really is not as simple as both sides like to make it out to be. It's not "just plain murder" and it isn't about letting women do what they want with their bodies, because it isn't just their bodies, it's the childs as well and if the fetus has been defined in a persons mind to be a child, ie. a person, then yes it is murder to them so of course they're going to want it to be illegal.

The issue essentially boils down to when we determine the fetus becomes a person and all the rights that that entails. I can't imagine anything but science giving us a good answer for that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by forfrosne
The issue really is not as simple as both sides like to make it out to be. It's not "just plain murder" and it isn't about letting women do what they want with their bodies, because it isn't just their bodies, it's the childs as well and if the fetus has been defined in a persons mind to be a child, ie. a person, then yes it is murder to them so of course they're going to want it to be illegal.

The issue essentially boils down to when we determine the fetus becomes a person and all the rights that that entails. I can't imagine anything but science giving us a good answer for that.

Unfortunately a lot of people prefer religion to science, which doesn't give as good answers :frown:
Original post by edithwashere
True - I personally identify religions as being a faith following a deity though, which Buddhism isn't. I'd definitely say it is a faith, and it's very spiritual, but Buddhists are just lovely really, they just take life as it is and don't bully others into believing what they believe :smile:

Not really. Every Religion has their bunch of extremists.

Only need to look at Sri Lanka and Burma for the Buddhist nut cases.
Original post by sarahthegemini
Oh, is that all they do? :lolwut:

I'm very undecided on abortion, but this new law is ridiculous. It won't help matters, it will just increase backstreet abortions.

I don't know if that was sarcasm but it is hardly the terrible process that everyone makes it out to be...
Original post by redferry
I don't know if that was sarcasm but it is hardly the terrible process that everyone makes it out to be...

It can be very emotionally traumatising, particularly if you don't get a sympathetic doctor or nurse. I do think some women are lucky in that they aren't too affected by their abortions, the earlier on you nip it in the bud the easier it is physically. Everyone will react differently but sadly in my own experience I found it very traumatising and upsetting (it didn't help that it was christmas eve either :frown:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending