The Student Room Group

I've been a carer. Where do I mention this in my application?

Hi. I really want to study Law at UCL, and I'm wondering where I mention this when applying. Do I talk about it in my personal statement, or somewhere else? I'm set to achieve 5 A*'s, however this was done over a 3 year period (year one = AS Biol + H&S, year two = A2 Biol + H&S and AS Econ + Geog, and year three = A2 Econ + Geog + EPQ).

UCL states that they want applicants to have achieved A*AA in one sitting, but I hope the fact that I've been a carer for my mum for 7 years compensates for the extra year.

I'm in year two now, so applying to uni next year. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
You should work it into your personal statement somehow.
Definitely personal statement. Put it in a paragraph with all your other extra-curricular activities. I remember putting this section at the end.
Original post by Mother_Russia
Definitely personal statement. Put it in a paragraph with all your other extra-curricular activities. I remember putting this section at the end.

Ok, would that be the only place I need to mention it? Some universities have a form that you need to fill in to state extenuating circumstances. And also, does it require some sort of reference? I've never told anybody that I've been a carer, so I don't have any care workers etc. to prove it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
You should put it into the personal statement. Despite what the above poster has said, it should be in a paragraph seperate to your extra-curricular activities. I would also speak to the admissions advisor and see what they say. You could also write a seperate letter outlining any extenuating circumstances that you have and send it to the admissions advisor. The can then get attached to your application and if you slightly miss your grades then they can take this into account.

Congratulations on doing so well so far. As a carer going through this myself at the moment I know how hard it can be.

Good Luck!
Original post by CommonNortherner
Ok, would that be the only place I need to mention it? Some universities have a form that you need to fill in to state extenuating circumstances. And also, does it require some sort of reference? I've never told anybody that I've been a carer, so I don't have any care workers etc. to prove it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right! Sorry, I thought you meant you wanted to put this as an extra-curricular type of activity.

If you're using it as extenuating circumstances, your teachers should put this in your reference. It is also worth contacting all your universities before putting your UCAS form in and ask how to proceed with this.
Original post by beccac3
You should put it into the personal statement. Despite what the above poster has said, it should be in a paragraph seperate to your extra-curricular activities. I would also speak to the admissions advisor and see what they say. You could also write a seperate letter outlining any extenuating circumstances that you have and send it to the admissions advisor. The can then get attached to your application and if you slightly miss your grades then they can take this into account.

Congratulations on doing so well so far. As a carer going through this myself at the moment I know how hard it can be.

Good Luck!

Thanks :smile:. Yes, it is hard. However, I exceed the entry requirements, it's just the extra year of sixth form is making my application weaker than I initially thought. I just hope it's enough to compensate :smile:. Good luck to you too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh right! Sorry, I thought you meant you wanted to put this as an extra-curricular type of activity.

If you're using it as extenuating circumstances, your teachers should put this in your reference. It is also worth contacting all your universities before putting your UCAS form in and ask how to proceed with this.

Will do :smile:. UCL are annoying me; every uni has responded but them. I've sent three emails and it's been 3 weeks now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I would also recommend telling your school tutor about it if they don't already know. That way they can back up what you put into your personal statement on the reference. You shouldn't need any proof other than this so the fact that you don't have any workers who know about it won't harm your application.

Again though, check with the universities.
Will do :smile:. UCL are annoying me; every uni has responded but them. I've sent three emails and it's been 3 weeks now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Who are you e-mailing?

It may be worth e-mailing the Outreach office, or even phoning them?!
Original post by beccac3
I would also recommend telling your school tutor about it if they don't already know. That way they can back up what you put into your personal statement on the reference. You shouldn't need any proof other than this so the fact that you don't have any workers who know about it won't harm your application.

Again though, check with the universities.

Ok. My form teacher does know about it, I forgot that I told him last year. Will one reference be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Who are you e-mailing?

It may be worth e-mailing the Outreach office, or even phoning them?!

The undergraduate laws admission team. If I'm yet to hear anything back, I'll give them a ring closer to the time of application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok. My form teacher does know about it, I forgot that I told him last year. Will one reference be enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The school only send through one reference through with UCAS. It's normally your form tutor who will write it so make sure they know about it.

The undergraduate laws admission team. If I'm yet to hear anything back, I'll give them a ring closer to the time of application.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would suggest just phoning the general admissions office or outreach. As they might have more informatn about an extenuating circumstances form than other offices.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Yes, one reference, along with your personal statement should be enough.
Original post by beccac3
Yes, one reference, along with your personal statement should be enough.

Ok, great :smile:. Do you guys think the fact that I've been a carer will compensate for my additional year of sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Ok, great :smile:. Do you guys think the fact that I've been a carer will compensate for my additional year of sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally I think so. It would be extenuating circumstances.
Personally I think so. It would be extenuating circumstances.

Lovely :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Quick question for you - How do you balance caring and studying? It's something I haven't quite mastered yet.
Original post by beccac3
Quick question for you - How do you balance caring and studying? It's something I haven't quite mastered yet.

I stay at school until 5:30 (having 2 hours to go through my subjects and do extra reading), then go home and look after my mum, then when we go to bed at about 11 I do any homework that I haven't done. I also take advantage of free periods. I go to sleep at about midnight/1 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I stay at school until 5:30 (having 2 hours to go through my subjects and do extra reading), then go home and look after my mum, then when we go to bed at about 11 I do any homework that I haven't done. I also take advantage of free periods. I go to sleep at about midnight/1 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending