The Student Room Group

Would you date someone 6 years older than you?

Hi, my parents are trying to set me up with a guy, he seems really nice and sweet however the the fact he's 30 this year is putting me off a bit!

It was my 24th birthday last month so there's an approx 5-6 year difference in age....Just wondering what peoples views were on the matter! :smile:
Reply 1
I'd be more worried my parents were setting me up with someone to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by Norton1
I'd be more worried my parents were setting me up with someone to be honest.

Its very normal in Asian culture tbh
I wouldn't rule it out.
Reply 4
I don't think 6 years is a huge difference, but if it really bothers you then that's fine. Everyone has their own opinions.
Reply 5
I don't think so... at nearly 24 I'm now ready to dedicate the next few years of my life in carving out my future career. At 30, she'd probably be looking to settle down with kids.

I just think we'd be at different stages of our life wanting different things.
Reply 6
If you're not happy with the age difference then tell your parents you feel uncomfortable about it.
6 years is no big deal for me personally. It's not about the age but where you both are in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
6 years isn't a huge gap, but I suppose it really depends on what you both want in life right now.

As said above, maybe that person is ready to settle down, at 30 years old, whereas you may want to spend more time being young and getting a career.
Reply 9
Well, when I was 17, I got together with my first and so far only boyfriend who was 29 and two years later we're still together and still very happy.

My mum was at the event where I met him and could tell straight away that he was a good match for me so although it wasn't her who introduced us, she was subtly encouraging us from the start.

My first question would be; how well do your parents know you? If they know you really well, then (as with my mum) they might genuinely think that this guy is right for you. It doesn't hurt to give him a try; you said yourself that he's really nice so your parents may have got it right, who knows?

As for the age gap, based on my personal experience, I would say that age is not a big factor in relationship compatibility. Maturity, values, life goals, etc are very important and are often linked to age, but not always, and it would be a shame to miss out on a great guy just because he's a few years older.

Why the neg? What did I say?!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by froz_
Hi, my parents are trying to set me up with a guy, he seems really nice and sweet however the the fact he's 30 this year is putting me off a bit!

It was my 24th birthday last month so there's an approx 5-6 year difference in age....Just wondering what peoples views were on the matter! :smile:

6 years is hardly anything. I personally know couples, in long term relationships, with 10+ years between them.
"Age is just a number"... Unless you're in different stages in life. It'd be rough being in a relationship where one person was ready to settle down and the other was just in it for a good time. This problem happens when two people are the same age of course, but I think it's more likely if there is an age gap. Just use your better judgement, and you'll be fine! :smile:
Hypothetically yes, but it probably wouldn't work out due to the difference in commitment.
Reply 13
Original post by froz_

I'd be more wary about being set up with someone by my parents tbh.

I think now that I'm over 20 yes I would, but as a teenager no.
Reply 14
Bigger the better :wink: jk
Im 22 and my boyfriend is 28. It works really well for us.
He's mature and sensible and looks after me. He can be silly but his age somehow makes me respect him more. I make him happy by being silly and young etc.

Also think if we were to stay together he would want kids at 34 meaning I would be 28 and thats perfect.
As a man - yes, I wouldn't date a girl 6 years older.

Depends for a girl, I would say it depends on if he's in a stable job etc. They'd have to be a higher standard for me.
Reply 17
My dad married my mum when he was 32 and she was 21. They're still married 25 years later. It just depends on the individuals I guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending