The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

What's Dundee like?

I applied to Dundee with no knowledge of what it's like, as I was applying for Dentistry and wanted to play it safe. Now I have to go there because I have no other offers, and I have no idea what to expect. I have a few questions:

1) For someone living in a decent area quite close to Liverpool, how will Dundee be different?

2) Is it safe? Can you walk around at night?

3) How vibrant is the social life for students? Are there plenty of societies to get involved in?
Reply 1
Original post by Heizenburg
I applied to Dundee with no knowledge of what it's like, as I was applying for Dentistry and wanted to play it safe. Now I have to go there because I have no other offers, and I have no idea what to expect. I have a few questions:

1) For someone living in a decent area quite close to Liverpool, how will Dundee be different?

3) How vibrant is the social life for students? Are there plenty of societies to get involved in?

Not sure about the first part, but I have walked around at night plenty of times and have never even gotten a bad look from anyone. I live near the center of the city, so that may influence the people I encounter.

For the third part, Dundee Uni has sooooo many societies that if you do put in some effort to get involved, you will not be let down at all.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Original post by Heizenburg

I'm from Ormskirk, which is just by Maghull... if you're from this side of Liverpool. I moved to Dundee four years ago and love it.
At first it seems a bit of an eye sore. There are a lot of buildings that seem to have been wasted. Nice old buildings turned into new things. But, its actually a lot nicer than a lot of people give it credit for. I like it so much i'm doing my post grad here.

It is safe. You can walk around at night quite easily in the right areas. Like all small cities, there are places not advised to go if you're alone and its night but its pretty obvious. ie. Don't walk down long creepy looking alleyways.

The social life is very good. Its a student city with two universities so there are loads of things going on and people always about. The night clubs aren't amazing, only 2 or 3 good ones. But the union is really good for a night out and is open every night with club nights at least 3 or 4 times a week.
There are loads and loads of societies so plenty to keep you busy :smile:

If you've got any questions at all, feel free to message me or post here. Like I say, i've been here for almost four years and I'm from a similar place to you so might be able to give you a good perspective.
Reply 3
Original post by lucyhol1012
I'm from Ormskirk, which is just by Maghull... if you're from this side of Liverpool. I moved to Dundee four years ago and love it.
At first it seems a bit of an eye sore. There are a lot of buildings that seem to have been wasted. Nice old buildings turned into new things. But, its actually a lot nicer than a lot of people give it credit for. I like it so much i'm doing my post grad here.

It is safe. You can walk around at night quite easily in the right areas. Like all small cities, there are places not advised to go if you're alone and its night but its pretty obvious. ie. Don't walk down long creepy looking alleyways.

The social life is very good. Its a student city with two universities so there are loads of things going on and people always about. The night clubs aren't amazing, only 2 or 3 good ones. But the union is really good for a night out and is open every night with club nights at least 3 or 4 times a week.
There are loads and loads of societies so plenty to keep you busy :smile:

If you've got any questions at all, feel free to message me or post here. Like I say, i've been here for almost four years and I'm from a similar place to you so might be able to give you a good perspective.

Hi, I'm actually deciding between glasgow and dundee. I am more inclined towards dundee because I have heard that glasgow is a bit unsafe (highest crime rates and stuff if i'm not mistaken). And I have a few questions regarding the university (doing architecture btw and am international),

1. How's the student accommodation like?
2. On nationality mix, are there a lot of international students?
3. Is it hard to cope with the scottish accent?
4. And finally is it colder than glasgow? How's the weather like?

thanks!
Original post by aliceishere

thanks!

I can answer these two! Firstly, not everyone has a strong Dundee accent, but yes it can take some getting used. Most of the time it should be fine :wink:
The east of Scotland is typically colder than the west of Scotland, so yes Dundee will be colder. However, it will rain more in Glasgow.
Reply 5
Hi, I'm actually deciding between glasgow and dundee. I am more inclined towards dundee because I have heard that glasgow is a bit unsafe (highest crime rates and stuff if i'm not mistaken). And I have a few questions regarding the university (doing architecture btw and am international),

thanks!

I too am trying to decide between Glasgow and Dundee but, coming from Glasgow, I would say that please don't discount Glasgow due to the perception that it is really unsafe. Of course, there are unsavoury parts of Glasgow (as there are in all cities) but many parts, especially where the university is situated, are really lovely. The university part of Glasgow is really affluent, cultural and beautiful. The main reason that I am considering staying in Glasgow rather than going to Dundee is that I really do love Glasgow as a city and sometimes I think I would miss the city more than my family!

Of course, Dundee is a fantastic university also and Dundee is lovely as a place ( I was pleasantly surprised after the open days after hearing not too great things about Dundee as a place beforehand) Apparently, so I was told when I visited the university a couple of weeks ago, Dundee is one of the sunniest places in Scotland and significantly less-rainy than Glasgow (though that wouldn't be hard!)
Reply 6
Original post by E....
I too am trying to decide between Glasgow and Dundee but, coming from Glasgow, I would say that please don't discount Glasgow due to the perception that it is really unsafe. Of course, there are unsavoury parts of Glasgow (as there are in all cities) but many parts, especially where the university is situated, are really lovely. The university part of Glasgow is really affluent, cultural and beautiful. The main reason that I am considering staying in Glasgow rather than going to Dundee is that I really do love Glasgow as a city and sometimes I think I would miss the city more than my family!

Of course, Dundee is a fantastic university also and Dundee is lovely as a place ( I was pleasantly surprised after the open days after hearing not too great things about Dundee as a place beforehand) Apparently, so I was told when I visited the university a couple of weeks ago, Dundee is one of the sunniest places in Scotland and significantly less-rainy than Glasgow (though that wouldn't be hard!)

Thanks! I've chosen dundee because I think I'll prefer somewhere quieter and less lively (all me weird), glasgow sounds found but its just an hour away from dundee, so I hope I've made the right choice! :smile:
Reply 7
I'm a first year international student, guess I can be of help :wink:

Nice. Except for Belmont Tower all residences are relatively new (none dating back further than 2007). I uploaded some pictures in the 'Post pictures of your dorm room' thread, you can probably find it via the forum search. It's pricey, of cause, but I've never heard of university accommodation that isn't :biggrin:

18% are international. Many Germans, French, Chinese, American etc. The university's website has a page for almost every country giving details about how many students from the specific country there are, this way you could find out how many compatriots of yours there are.

I'm currently in a flat in residences with a guy from England, one from Malaysia, one from Singapore and one from China.

Depends how good your English is. Generally, close to all lecturers and students (which is the majority of people you'll interacting with) don't have a strong Scottish accent, it gets more of an issue when dealing with bus drivers, waiters, people in shops etc. but they are mostly understandable.

Dundee is Scotland's sunniest city. Yes, the weather is still Scottish which means not too awesome, but currently we've 14 °C and sun, pretty okay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks! I've chosen dundee because I think I'll prefer somewhere quieter and less lively (all me weird), glasgow sounds found but its just an hour away from dundee, so I hope I've made the right choice! :smile:

I think/hope I'll get to go to Dundee next year. I'll be studying art, but the great thing about the campus is that it's not split so it doesn't matter what you're studying.
It'd be great to know other people before we go.
Reply 9
Original post by Sir Fox
I'm a first year international student, guess I can be of help :wink:

Nice. Except for Belmont Tower all residences are relatively new (none dating back further than 2007). I uploaded some pictures in the 'Post pictures of your dorm room' thread, you can probably find it via the forum search. It's pricey, of cause, but I've never heard of university accommodation that isn't :biggrin:

18% are international. Many Germans, French, Chinese, American etc. The university's website has a page for almost every country giving details about how many students from the specific country there are, this way you could find out how many compatriots of yours there are.

I'm currently in a flat in residences with a guy from England, one from Malaysia, one from Singapore and one from China.

Depends how good your English is. Generally, close to all lecturers and students (which is the majority of people you'll interacting with) don't have a strong Scottish accent, it gets more of an issue when dealing with bus drivers, waiters, people in shops etc. but they are mostly understandable.

Dundee is Scotland's sunniest city. Yes, the weather is still Scottish which means not too awesome, but currently we've 14 °C and sun, pretty okay.

Thankyou for your reply! I'm from Malaysia btw, of Chinese descent tho!Dundee sounds cool! But i thought the general cost of living in dundee is relatively lower than most parts of England, am i right?
Reply 10
Thankyou for your reply! I'm from Malaysia btw, of Chinese descent tho!Dundee sounds cool! But i thought the general cost of living in dundee is relatively lower than most parts of England, am i right?

According to the university website it's roughly 15% lower, yes. Still much higher than in Malaysia and even Germany though :wink:
I'm cureently trying to decide whether to go to dundee university or university west of scotland to study primary teaching and currently live in ayrshire. Its such a big decision to make and would both invlove very different lifestyles, however after visiting dundee today at the open day I was very impressed and really liked what I saw! my only worry is after 1st year moving out of halls, trying to find a flat and the expense of that.
Reply 12
Original post by kirstywallace
I'm cureently trying to decide whether to go to dundee university or university west of scotland to study primary teaching and currently live in ayrshire. Its such a big decision to make and would both invlove very different lifestyles, however after visiting dundee today at the open day I was very impressed and really liked what I saw! my only worry is after 1st year moving out of halls, trying to find a flat and the expense of that.

I'm usually rather hostile towards league tables and all the fuss people make around reputation, but the University of the West of Scotland is consistently ranked as one of the worst of the country across all major league tables, whilst Dundee is usually considered to be good overall and prestigious for some subjects.

Just wanted to mention that.

Finding a flat in 2nd year can't be too hard (I'm a first year undergraduate, but cannot comment on that as I'll spend my second year abroad), most people I know are pretty much already sorted out.
Reply 13
Original post by Sir Fox
I'm usually rather hostile towards league tables and all the fuss people make around reputation, but the University of the West of Scotland is consistently ranked as one of the worst of the country across all major league tables, whilst Dundee is usually considered to be good overall and prestigious for some subjects.

Just wanted to mention that.

Finding a flat in 2nd year can't be too hard (I'm a first year undergraduate, but cannot comment on that as I'll spend my second year abroad), most people I know are pretty much already sorted out.

Depending on where you want to live, the flats can go from 200£ pcm +bills up to 400£ pcm+bills, the ones near the university usually go for around 250-300 + bills
Reply 14
Original post by Sir Fox

Have any idea on what subjects hold this prestige?

Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by redEM4
Have any idea on what subjects hold this prestige?

Thanks

Medicine, Dentistry, Life Sciences (considered to be among the top 5 in Europe for Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Genetics), Drug Discovery, Law and Arts.
Reply 16
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
It has a reputation for being consistently one of the best in the UK for Medicine, Dentistry and Biochemistry/Drug discovery. Outside this, it's very good for Law and Art and Design. Everything else is really just good or okay.

Original post by Sir Fox
Medicine, Dentistry, Life Sciences (considered to be among the top 5 in Europe for Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Genetics), Drug Discovery, Law and Arts.

Thanks for the quick information, I applied for Accountancy but still a good bit of info to know.

I do remember a guide telling us they get a lot of funding for life sciences I think.
Really really safe I have to say..I have studied in Dundee for three years and Dundee is a quite nice city. you can find anything here..

Quick Reply

Latest