The Student Room Group

When your partner only wants to talk about themselves : /

Have you been in a relationship where your partner only wants to talk about themselves (e.g. work, bitching friends, etc).

Whenever you start to talk about yourself, it seems the air changes; it becomes a chore and your partner seems disinterested.

What's the problem here? Me, them, us? : /

Any experience is welcome.
Does your partner have a narcissistic personality disorder maybe..?
Original post by Anonymous
Have you been in a relationship where your partner only wants to talk about themselves (e.g. work, bitching friends, etc).

Whenever you start to talk about yourself, it seems the air changes; it becomes a chore and your partner seems disinterested.

What's the problem here? Me, them, us? : /

Any experience is welcome.

Wow, definitely know what you mean. My girlfriend has been incredibly stressed lately due to a number of things, which I can totally appreciate, so I've tried to give her the space/support she needs.

We're now on a little 'break' and it just feels like she's become so indifferent to everything I do, say, or feel. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Journeyzap
Does your partner have a narcissistic personality disorder maybe..?

I don't know :s-smilie:

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Wow, definitely know what you mean. My girlfriend has been incredibly stressed lately due to a number of things, which I can totally appreciate, so I've tried to give her the space/support she needs.

We're now on a little 'break' and it just feels like she's become so indifferent to everything I do, say, or feel. :frown:

:console:

I know that she's having a bad time but does that effecting you (I think it does :frown:)?
I mean, it must be not a great feeling not being able to talk about your day or something like that : /

When I'm in a relationship, all I do is do the listening, I rarely get to talk about me : /
But I'm a bit insecure as well if I only talk about myself and not doing any listening :frown:

I know that she's having a bad time but does that effecting you (I think it does :frown:)?
I mean, it must be not a great feeling not being able to talk about your day or something like that : /

When I'm in a relationship, all I do is do the listening, I rarely get to talk about me : /
But I'm a bit insecure as well if I only talk about myself and not doing any listening :frown:

It really, really does. You say ''I'm here for you for anything you need, I love you'', etc. but you're just closed out. I see all of these indirect tweets/posts from her on the internet, can't talk to her to find out what's going on, and then just end up exploding quite irrationally and making things worse. :/

I've said that I'm always here to listen, and that problems with home are something that you can't avoid. But to immerse someone else in your problems and then take it out on them is just unacceptable.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
It really, really does. You say ''I'm here for you for anything you need, I love you'', etc. but you're just closed out. I see all of these indirect tweets/posts from her on the internet, can't talk to her to find out what's going on, and then just end up exploding quite irrationally and making things worse. :/

I've said that I'm always here to listen, and that problems with home are something that you can't avoid. But to immerse someone else in your problems and then take it out on them is just unacceptable.

I'm starting to think that maybe it's just me...

But what's the problem? What should I do? :frown:

I'm starting to think that maybe it's just me...

But what's the problem? What should I do? :frown:

I doubt it's just you, tbh. I think you should do what I'm doing: give them space, remember that the conclusions you come to can't be verified, and that you've done nothing wrong and you're trying your best. If (s)he loves you, it'll work out. :smile:
Reply 7
I was in the same situation with my ex. It's pretty annoying to be honest, but from my experience, there is not much you can do. It is most likely to be a trait/part of their personality. It is worth mentioning to your partner that you feel this way, though.
i'd recommend you speak to your partner about it, so that something can be done. Otherwise, nothing's likely to change.
Reply 9
Yeah I know what you mean, its what really annoyed me about my ex. It was always about her. Whenever I'd say I've done something good, she'd say a quick 'good for you' or 'well done', then it was back to her problems, which were always much bigger problems than anything that was going on in my life..
Reply 10
Original post by Applegrater
I was in the same situation with my ex. It's pretty annoying to be honest, but from my experience, there is not much you can do. It is most likely to be a trait/part of their personality. It is worth mentioning to your partner that you feel this way, though.

Original post by LeonVII
i'd recommend you speak to your partner about it, so that something can be done. Otherwise, nothing's likely to change.

Say what actually? :frown:

"Hun, you talk about yourself too much, how about meee!?"

It sounds needy (although a reasonable need, but sounds needy).

Ergh... I don't know I don't know :frown:

Original post by C.M.182
Yeah I know what you mean, its what really annoyed me about my ex. It was always about her. Whenever I'd say I've done something good, she'd say a quick 'good for you' or 'well done', then it was back to her problems, which were always much bigger problems than anything that was going on in my life..

Ah, you and me; we have the same problem :frown: I might as well just turn gay and get you as my partner lol.
Sorry to put this out there, know it sounds a little stark, but maybe she's just being selfish.

Relationships are about two people not one. You give respect to get it back and that's the way all human dynamics should work. It's only right; it's only fair.

Maybe you need to tell her how you feel. And if she appreciates she need to change, then great. If she can't appreciate that, then you need to find someoen who will respect you back really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending