The Student Room Group

Squats, Parallel or Ass to Grass?

What's peoples opinions?

I am an ATG man and believe it's the best way to squat. Full ROM or go home.

Others like doing to parallel or near parellel since they can do more weight and if you ever wanted to compete in powerlifitng you only need to be parallel.

Scroll to see replies

Ass to the ****ing grasss all the time.. no pussy ****
Reply 2
''Ass to Grass?''

LOL

ryan :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by ryanb97
''Ass to Grass?''

LOL

ryan :confused:

It's the term used to refer to squats where you go as low as physically possible every rep.

Like that^.
I can lift more (obviously) an inch below parallel. Parallel is the absolute minimum but ATG is badass. I can't do that.

MB's form is crazy good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
ATG unless your shortening the ROM for a reason (box squats, powerlifting comp etc)
Reply 6
Original post by silent ninja
I can lift more (obviously) an inch below parallel. Parallel is the absolute minimum but ATG is badass. I can't do that.

MB's form is crazy good

You you aim just below parallel?

My form was not this good or deep until i got the shoes. It was still below parallel but not this low. The shoes make a big difference at the very bottom.

Original post by dave_123
ATG unless your shortening the ROM for a reason (box squats, powerlifting comp etc)

Fair enough.

Although i'm not a giant fan of box squats. Don't really see the gain from them. Only people i hear recomending them online as trianers are people training equipped really...
Original post by Motorbiker
You you aim just below parallel?

My form was not this good or deep until i got the shoes. It was still below parallel but not this low. The shoes make a big difference at the very bottom.

Do they have a heel on them? I use flat converse trainers. I don't know if I low or high bar squat but I rest the bar across my traps and shoulders. I do full ATG on most of my warm up sets but max sets are below parallel. Hitting parallel exactly is very tough on my knees.
Reply 8
I alternate every session
Reply 9
Original post by Motorbiker

Fair enough.

Although i'm not a giant fan of box squats. Don't really see the gain from them. Only people i hear recomending them online as trianers are people training equipped really...

Same they seem to be great for geared guys, my point is simply that there can be a time and a place.

For me you can't beat ATG pause squats... sit in that hole for 2-3 count and explode out.
Reply 10
I squat depending on my goals, the hamstrings and glute muscles come into the squat more the lower down you go (I think so anyway). They are both good though, its also a good idea to put some knee straps on if your going heavy.
(edited 11 years ago)
I find going really low just puts a lot of stress on my knees, as I'm more prone to buckling. I usually try to just get a bit below parallel. I don't really see what benefit it has that using the leg press in addition, which is far easier to control, doesn't give. I try to avoid getting injured, even if its going to perhaps slow progress.
Reply 12
Going as low as possible is good. But the bare minimum should be Parallel. I tend to go ATG just to be on the safe side.
I got Ass to Penis....wait wut...
Deep as you can while maintaining form (obviously fronties and high bar will be deeper than low bar squats), but parallel bare minimum
Reply 15
Original post by silent ninja
Do they have a heel on them? I use flat converse trainers. I don't know if I low or high bar squat but I rest the bar across my traps and shoulders. I do full ATG on most of my warm up sets but max sets are below parallel. Hitting parallel exactly is very tough on my knees.

Yea, They have a 1inch heel i think which makes a difference at ATG depth.

Sounds like you high bar, which is the same as me.

Original post by Dhaden
I alternate every session

Why? So you can go heavy sometimes and full ROM others?

Original post by dave_123
Same they seem to be great for geared guys, my point is simply that there can be a time and a place.

For me you can't beat ATG pause squats... sit in that hole for 2-3 count and explode out.

Yea.

True. I do pause squats on my light days which does feel really powerful.
Original post by Megaloblastic
Deep as you can while maintaining form (obviously fronties and high bar will be deeper than low bar squats), but parallel bare minimum

exactly what I was gonna say.
A lot of people struggle to break parallel due to various reasons, usually inflexible ankle joints or poor form. Providing they get towards parallel, I don't really give a **** how other people squat. I do however see people squatting with barely 1/4 ROM, which gets me a bit irate.
Parallel, I dislocated my knee and anything past that just feels dangerous now. I haven't noticed any difference though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llessur123
Parallel, I dislocated my knee and anything past that just feels dangerous now. I haven't noticed any difference though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maximum knee pressure is at parallel. Simple moments. I have knee problems too. Go a bit lower and you'll probably find it a lot better. Depends exactly on your injury though, but regardless, parallel definitely places the most shear force on the knee joint.

Quick Reply

Latest