The Student Room Group

Sexism in Uk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gman10
Cannot believe there are women commenting on this forum.. pfft!

I am joking, of course, but sexism does still exist especially with employment and the 'glass ceiling' etc.

Not it doesn't. That is a myth.

Women have this habit of having children which stops them from have the same career paths as men.

Women who do not have children and who work in high status occupations make have the same career patterns as men.

Women who have children and make it to the top are usually have insane drive and a great support network such as a full time nanny and a really devoted husband.
Original post by kunoichi
yeah, gender based roles are so much part of our lives, even if we dont conform to them, those around us do,and it just becomes natural. It should be about people, not their genitals.

I don't think you understand how the human race, or any male and female species, works.
Original post by Malabarista
I don't think you understand how the human race, or any male and female species, works.

I meant more along the lines of what people choose to do with their lives and how we treat others.

There is no reason to treat someone as less human than you just because they arent the same gender. And as for 'traditional gender roles' men and women should be able to follow their life choices as they wish without the hassle of 'that's a womans job or you shouldnt be here, because youre a woman'
Reply 123
There is no reason to treat someone as less human than you just because they arent the same gender.

No but it is inevitable that different genders will be treated differently, we cannot really stop that because it would be fighting millions of years of evolution.
Original post by james22
No but it is inevitable that different genders will be treated differently, we cannot really stop that because it would be fighting millions of years of evolution.

Differently is fine, but why would it be right for me to treat you as less human just because you are male?

Differently does not equal treating someone as less of a person.
Reply 125
Sexism still exists in today's society, and it's really sad. I recently read that two workers in the same job, have exactly the same qualifications and the same degree level are paid differently because one of them is a woman. As much as the UK says it's not sexist, it is.

A recent discussion between friends of mine and one a-hole proved that sexism still exists. The debate was centred around the toilet seat and why it is appropriate for men to leave the seat down for women, but not vice versa. Now this guy, I'm not naming names, went on to spout out the most vile opinions I have ever heard basically saying that women were the weaker sex and they should just do what they're told.

Probably not the best source I could find.. but still http://jezebel.com/5976434/indonesian-supreme-court-nominee-says-women-enjoy-rape

It really p****s me off when people compare having a baby to being kicked in the balls, I have never met one person who could tell me what both of those feel like so until we achieve the state of a clown fish or seahorse, just shut up.

Even in different age groups there's sexism. For example, if you're a girl under the age of say 25 and has slept with 10 guys (or girls) then you get labelled a slut, whore etc, but if it's a guy sleeping with girls (or guys) then it's player or stud. If a man is single at the age of say 40, it's bachelor, a woman, it's spinster. It's so demeaning.

Just because you're of one sex and I'm of another, doesn't give you the opportunity to debase my existence. I am still a person, I feel, I breathe and I live.
Reply 126
Differently is fine, but why would it be right for me to treat you as less human just because you are male?

Differently does not equal treating someone as less of a person.

Huh? When did I even imply I thought such a thing was right.
Reply 127
Original post by madmoofkh
Sexism still exists in today's society, and it's really sad. I recently read that two workers in the same job, have exactly the same qualifications and the same degree level are paid differently because one of them is a woman. As much as the UK says it's not sexist, it is.

Can you find me a source for this happening? Remember it would have to be the same job with the same company in the same department, the same qualifications and the same experiance. Also for higher up jobs like managers you would have to take into account negotiating for more pay and demonstating through other means that you are better at the job.

Many people have claimed this before but I have never seen one of them produce a source for this claim.
Reply 128
Original post by james22
Can you find me a source for this happening? Remember it would have to be the same job with the same company in the same department, the same qualifications and the same experiance. Also for higher up jobs like managers you would have to take into account negotiating for more pay and demonstating through other means that you are better at the job.

Many people have claimed this before but I have never seen one of them produce a source for this claim.

I'll have a look for the paper tonight and get back to you (: it may take me a while as I can't remember whether it was online, in an actual paper or on Tumblr etc but I'll defo have a look (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by james22
Huh? When did I even imply I thought such a thing was right.

You didnt expressively say it was right but the message i got from your post was obviously different from what you intended it to be, sorry :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending