The Student Room Group

Declining 'best' uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I declined Bristol and Exeter for Southampton. Bristol is in general more prestigious, and Exeter is slightly better for Archaeology (my course) if you're basing it on league tables (I think they're one or two places higher).

Southampton's course seemed the most interesting, the campus and accommodation was my favourite out of all the places I visited, and I just think I'll be happier there.
Reply 21
Rejecting Imperial College because the people I met there seem reserved, the staff (including lecturers) seem hostile and the campus isn't particularly nice either. Going to be firming Durham instead, I appreciate the collegiate system and the active social experience at Durham as opposed to Imperial.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Colroyd
Rejecting Imperial College because the people I met there seem reserved, the staff (including lecturers) seem hostile and the campus isn't particularly nice either. Going to be firming Durham instead, I appreciate the collegiate system and the active social experience at Durham as opposed to London.

Nothing wrong with London its just imperial
Reply 23
Original post by yaboy
Nothing wrong with London its just imperial

I meant Imperial. I'll change it :smile:
Original post by .snowflake.
Declined UCL for Sheffield. Don't regret it at all, and to be honest, most people around me didnt blame me for doing it after finding out what my interview was like.

Edit - sorry, just saw the bottom of the first page.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Last year I declined St Andrews and put York as my firm and after now, after terms there, I know I made the right decision. The course is better for me (less traditional), the classes are smaller and the people there are much more my kind of people :smile:
Reply 26
Rejected Bath for UEA for pharmacy :biggrin: !! Bath town is a bit too quiet for me
I turned down Exeter for Kent, because I was given an offer from the Exeter cornwall campus which I didn't want to go to and I love Kent, both my 'rents went there and its quite high in the league tables for English.
Reply 28
I turned down a Warwick interview because I was fed up with them sitting on my application. Their offer would have been relatively insignificant anyway so I had few qualms. Although there was a feeling of recklessness :cool:
Reply 29
No I didn't but if I had to drop one then I wouldn't do it by Uni but by how much the course/qualification will help me in further life.
Original post by fimblesocks
I declined Nottingham for Leicester. My parents were fine with it because they know it's best for me and besides, if they were worried about league tables, although the offer was higher Leicester are actually higher for my subject. School will be fine because they want us to do what we want.

I have the same decision you had to make, mind if I ask what your reasons were?
Reply 31
Declined a natsci offer from UEA of AAB for Leicester's Interdisciplinary science course :P just preferred Leicester :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Declined LSE for UCL. Had to choose where I'd be happiest, really. I did feel pressured to accept simply because it's LSE, but I know I would have just ended up hating it, and regretting the decision.

HAHA Lol'd hard :rofl:
Reply 33
Original post by boredbeth13
I started this thread as I'm considering declining Durham! I also have an offer from Sheffield although my main alternative is York :smile: And my exact reason for questioning Durham is that I'm from a very working class area and am worried the lifestyle won't be for me. I know that York is still quite middle class but it's definitely not anywhere near as traditional as Durham. It's so nice to see someone in the same position as me!

Haha, that's weird because York was also one of my favourite ones and in the end I put it as my insurance! Have you visited Durham or any the uni's yet because that definitely helped me to decide and find out what I liked :smile:
Caridiff and Exeter, chose Cardiff.
The first time I applied for uni, I rejected Durham in favour of Keele.
Original post by Ultimate1
HAHA Lol'd hard :rofl:

I genuinely don't get the vitriol? :redface:
I rejected KCL for the institute for the godless scum of gower street, I felt that the course at UCL was closer suited to what I was looking for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Jodie_668
Haha, that's weird because York was also one of my favourite ones and in the end I put it as my insurance! Have you visited Durham or any the uni's yet because that definitely helped me to decide and find out what I liked :smile:

Ha that is weird! :smile: Yeah I've visited all five of my choices -York and Durham twice. I think my issues with Durham are partly down to my choice of college. I went for Castle just to see if I could get a place, not thinking I would, but I now realise that I might feel out of place there. Plus I don't really want catered , and the accommodation in general isn't great D:
Original post by TheGuy117
I rejected KCL for the institute for the godless scum of gower street, I felt that the course at UCL was closer suited to what I was looking for.

PFT, everyone knows UCL > KCL.

Edit: To answer the OP, I'm declining Warwick for Sheffield.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending