The Student Room Group

Pain in uterus/ovary area - NHS ultrasound waiting times?

I've been suffering pain in the womb/ovary area for a few months, it's a general aching pain/soreness with stabs of sharp pain, although the sharp pain has been getting more frequent, along with pain at the top of my thighs, to the point where I was in excruciating pain the other day and literally couldn't move because even leaning forward was causing me pure agony. I'd been putting off going to the GP for a while but this made me realise I had to get an appointment.

The GP did a quick pelvic examination and said he would refer me for a pelvic ultrasound. I asked him how long I would have to wait for the appointment, and he said 'two weeks, three at the most'.

Received my referral letter in the post this morning, asking me to call up to arrange the appointment. The receptionist immediately told me they had a very long waiting list and asked if I'd be willing to travel to a clinic a bit further away to get an appointment sooner, to which I said yes, as I'm obviously in pain and worried about what is causing the pain. Anyway, my appointment isn't till nearly the end of JUNE, so in 3 months time as opposed to the maximum 3 weeks time my GP told me.

I've been researching my symptoms, which I know isn't always the wisest, and 'ovarian cyst' seems to be coming up a lot, along with a few other womb/ovary problems. I'm very concerned that whatever might be causing the problem could get more severe within the 3 months I have to wait for an ultrasound. I've looked it up and I understand that sometimes ovarian cysts can be cancerous, although it is rare among my age group (I'm 21), but I'm still very worried that if it is cancerous, surely it could get a lot worse within 3 months?

I'm honestly surprised the waiting times are so long for a diagnostic examination, I knew the waiting times were bad for operations, but I wasn't expecting this. Surely if the waiting times are so long this could be very detrimental to the health of some patients, for example those who turn out to have cancer, when early treatment is very important?

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced similar, in terms of waiting times, or of symptoms? Those of you who have been for ultrasounds, is 3 months a normal waiting time, or am I right to be surprised? Has anyone ended up going for a private scan instead?

Also, in the 3 months that I have to wait, if there anything that will help to control my pain? My GP advised me paracetamol, hot water bottle, and drinking lots of water, all of which I've been doing anyway, but have you got any other tips? For someone who is used to leading a very active life, this pain is really interfering with it.
Any advice, information, similar experiences, or reassurance would be appreciated :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I've been suffering pain in the womb/ovary area for a few months, it's a general aching pain/soreness with stabs of sharp pain, although the sharp pain has been getting more frequent, along with pain at the top of my thighs, to the point where I was in excruciating pain the other day and literally couldn't move because even leaning forward was causing me pure agony. I'd been putting off going to the GP for a while but this made me realise I had to get an appointment.

The GP did a quick pelvic examination and said he would refer me for a pelvic ultrasound. I asked him how long I would have to wait for the appointment, and he said 'two weeks, three at the most'.

Received my referral letter in the post this morning, asking me to call up to arrange the appointment. The receptionist immediately told me they had a very long waiting list and asked if I'd be willing to travel to a clinic a bit further away to get an appointment sooner, to which I said yes, as I'm obviously in pain and worried about what is causing the pain. Anyway, my appointment isn't till nearly the end of JUNE, so in 3 months time as opposed to the maximum 3 weeks time my GP told me.

I've been researching my symptoms, which I know isn't always the wisest, and 'ovarian cyst' seems to be coming up a lot, along with a few other womb/ovary problems. I'm very concerned that whatever might be causing the problem could get more severe within the 3 months I have to wait for an ultrasound. I've looked it up and I understand that sometimes ovarian cysts can be cancerous, although it is rare among my age group (I'm 21), but I'm still very worried that if it is cancerous, surely it could get a lot worse within 3 months?

I'm honestly surprised the waiting times are so long for a diagnostic examination, I knew the waiting times were bad for operations, but I wasn't expecting this. Surely if the waiting times are so long this could be very detrimental to the health of some patients, for example those who turn out to have cancer, when early treatment is very important?

Can anyone tell me if they have experienced similar, in terms of waiting times, or of symptoms? Those of you who have been for ultrasounds, is 3 months a normal waiting time, or am I right to be surprised? Has anyone ended up going for a private scan instead?

Also, in the 3 months that I have to wait, if there anything that will help to control my pain? My GP advised me paracetamol, hot water bottle, and drinking lots of water, all of which I've been doing anyway, but have you got any other tips? For someone who is used to leading a very active life, this pain is really interfering with it.
Any advice, information, similar experiences, or reassurance would be appreciated :smile:

I work in a radiology department and our max waiting time is 6 weeks, and we're a pretty big hospital so have a lot of patients to deal with.
Where will you be going for this scan? Is there no local large hospital you can go to?
3 months is an extremely long time, the only thing I could say is that if you are in serious pain, go back to GP, ask him to ring to see if theres anything he can do, we get GPs ringing all the time wanting patients moved forward... :redface:
Reply 2

I've had ovarian cysts in the past :hugs: first time I was hopsitalised for 3 days because of the pain so I had the ultrasound then, it depends on your local NHS (I'm returning for another ones next month)

If it is ovarian cysts then your diet can have a big impact- avoid sugary foods, fizzy drinks and make sure you have a low carb high protein diet as sugar levels can influence the pain

:hugs:
Reply 3
Original post by Gcayte
I work in a radiology department and our max waiting time is 6 weeks, and we're a pretty big hospital so have a lot of patients to deal with.
Where will you be going for this scan? Is there no local large hospital you can go to?
3 months is an extremely long time, the only thing I could say is that if you are in serious pain, go back to GP, ask him to ring to see if theres anything he can do, we get GPs ringing all the time wanting patients moved forward... :redface:

When I called the appointments clerk, the next appointment in their department (York Centre at Smithdown Health Park, Liverpool) wasn't till early July, so they've arranged me an appointment at a centre in Garston, I've googled it and I think its the 'South Liverpool NHS Treatment Centre'.
There are a few large hospitals in and around Liverpool, but I have no idea if I would be able to get an appointment at one of these hospitals, or how to go about it.
I will definitely consider going back to my GP about it as I am in a lot of pain plus 3 months seems a long time to go through the stress of being in pain and having no idea what's causing the pain. I'm not sure how the GP would be able to get it moved forward though, as it's not like they can move my appointment forward at the expense of another person who is also waiting.
Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lilGem
I've had ovarian cysts in the past :hugs: first time I was hopsitalised for 3 days because of the pain so I had the ultrasound then, it depends on your local NHS (I'm returning for another ones next month)

If it is ovarian cysts then your diet can have a big impact- avoid sugary foods, fizzy drinks and make sure you have a low carb high protein diet as sugar levels can influence the pain

:hugs:

Ouch that sounds awful! I rarely have fizzy drinks or sweets or anything like that, but would cutting down on things like bread and rice help? I try to eat quite a healthy diet, lots of fish and chicken, veg, and wholemeal bread/pasta etc.
Reply 5
Ouch that sounds awful! I rarely have fizzy drinks or sweets or anything like that, but would cutting down on things like bread and rice help? I try to eat quite a healthy diet, lots of fish and chicken, veg, and wholemeal bread/pasta etc.

if you have bread rarely and brown rice it should help :smile:
Reply 6
I have PCOS and I this quite a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Bonnbbb
I have PCOS and I this quite a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

My symptoms don't really match PCOS, they seem more like ovarian cysts.
Reply 8
If you were my daughter I would be down to see the GP in a flash and demanding they find somewhere to get the ultrasound done ASAP !! Do not take this lightly - you could have a serious infection but the only way to know is to get the correct diagnosis/treatment as soon as possible. If left too long you might find that whatever treatment you might need is more long-term or more invasive. PLEASE do not delay in getting back to your GP. Good Luck!
Reply 9

ovarian cysts are rarely cancerous, every girl gets them, when they burst it can be very painful but it's an immune response, I read in an article somewhere, so pain is a good sign I think :smile: now try and relax, it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to the A&E and say you have excruciating pain. Then they'll examine you! It works! One of my friends was told she needed to be put on a drip, but there were no beds left, so they told her to go into the A&E department as they have to admit you.

Good luck :biggrin:

[Also, say the pain is so so bad that you can't move and need to sit down, you can do a bit of acting. They're not exactly going to refer you for June if they're faced with that!]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by lilmissshady
ovarian cysts are rarely cancerous, every girl gets them, when they burst it can be very painful but it's an immune response, I read in an article somewhere, so pain is a good sign I think :smile: now try and relax, it helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I've heard that most women get the functional type cysts at some point in their life, but normally small ones that cause a bit of discomfort, or no discomfort at all, that go away within a couple of cycles. When they've been persistently painful for about 4 months, it can be cause for concern as it can mean they are putting pressure on other organs - my auntie for example had an ovarian cyst that grew so big that by the time they removed it they had to remove her ovary too because it had damaged it too much, and she then got an ovarian cyst on the other side that caused a torsion, and she had to get that ovary removed.
It's not easy to relax when I'm in quite a bit of pain to the point it's causing problems with daily activities such as standing up for long amounts of time at work etc. If it was just a period pain then I wouldn't be complaining but it's a lot worse than that.
Ruptured ovarian cysts are normally painful but harmless, but some of them can cause serious complications. I know you are just trying to be reassuring and talking about 'best case scenario' but I think you've been misinformed by some of the things you've read.
Reply 12
Original post by AspiringMedic8
Go to the A&E and say you have excruciating pain. Then they'll examine you! It works! One of my friends was told she needed to be put on a drip, but there were no beds left, so they told her to go into the A&E department as they have to admit you.

[Also, say the pain is so so bad that you can't move and need to sit down, you can do a bit of acting. They're not exactly going to refer you for June if they're faced with that!]

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd feel too guilty going to A&E unless it was a genuine emergency, as I know they get a lot of people going there would should have really gone to their walk in centre or gp etc, plus I wouldn't want to get in the way of someone who was actually suffering excruciating pain at that moment.
If my excruciating pain comes back at any point then I'd consider A&E (my course leader actually wanted to call me an ambulance the other day when I got the extreme pain because I actually had to sit like a statue because the pain was so bad), at least they would have to do some sort of examination. Thanks :smile:
I would go back to your GP and ask if they can ring and move you up the list. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, had about 4 weeks wait between docs and my scan and it was by no means urgent. It was to check there was nothing causing my period pains that I've had for 4 years so I was probably put right at the bottom of the list.

When you do get your ultrasound you have to drink loads of water. Just warning you, I didn't drink enough and was told to go and drink 6 cups of water and wait. Had to wait 45 minutes before they would scan me because a full bladder gives a better picture :/
Reply 14
Original post by hrbrox
I would go back to your GP and ask if they can ring and move you up the list. I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, had about 4 weeks wait between docs and my scan and it was by no means urgent. It was to check there was nothing causing my period pains that I've had for 4 years so I was probably put right at the bottom of the list.

When you do get your ultrasound you have to drink loads of water. Just warning you, I didn't drink enough and was told to go and drink 6 cups of water and wait. Had to wait 45 minutes before they would scan me because a full bladder gives a better picture :/

Yeah I might try that, it can't hurt to try. I think the waiting list must just be unusually bad in my area, the closest hospital that could do the ultrasound didn't have an appointment till July, and the hospital I've agreed to go to only had an appointment a couple of weeks earlier and the appointments clerk said it was the only appointment they had open for ages.
Ahh yeah she advised me about having to drink a lot of water to have a full bladder, I will bear that in mind! :biggrin: thanks :smile:
Reply 15
PLEASE do not wait - go back to your GP as soon as possible and see if they can get you a scan earlier. BE SENSIBLE !
Reply 16

3 months does seem like a long time, but if the GP was to suspect cancer there would be a different referral pathway and then the wait would be much much shorter.

If you're worried go back to your GP - they will be able to explain/help you more.
Reply 17
Original post by AspiringMedic8

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they don't have beds, they can't admit you from A&E. They were told to go to A&E because that is how GPs refer you - through A&E, having contacted the department beforehand with your details.

If you go saying you have excrutiating pain you will a) get the wrong diagnosis, b) get unnecessary tests c) waste time and money d) get in the way of somebody else e) get unnecessary medication f) get a quick scan looking for different things, from a non-specialist, ruling out anything immediately life-threatening, then re-referred to your GP for them to refer you on again

Pointless, dangerous, waste of time. Don't do it, and don't lie about symptoms.
When I called the appointments clerk, the next appointment in their department (York Centre at Smithdown Health Park, Liverpool) wasn't till early July, so they've arranged me an appointment at a centre in Garston, I've googled it and I think its the 'South Liverpool NHS Treatment Centre'.
There are a few large hospitals in and around Liverpool, but I have no idea if I would be able to get an appointment at one of these hospitals, or how to go about it.
I will definitely consider going back to my GP about it as I am in a lot of pain plus 3 months seems a long time to go through the stress of being in pain and having no idea what's causing the pain. I'm not sure how the GP would be able to get it moved forward though, as it's not like they can move my appointment forward at the expense of another person who is also waiting.
Thanks for your reply :smile:

Hi, unless it's changed dramtically in the last few years the centre in Garston is big but it isn't a hospital.

You may find that the waiting times are less if you ask to be referred to a gyne consultant (I suspect they will refer you to Liverpool Womens) which can then refer you for the scans you need.

My waiting times at the Womens was relatively quick. A couple of weeks to see the consultant, 2-3 weeks for a scan and again 2-3 weeks for the follow up appointment. Also, remember the consultant will be used to seeing all sorts of different conditions and are generally specialists so will probably know more about these sorts of conditions then the GP.

If your experience is anything like mine, you will find that even if you wait a couple of months, a GP can't tell you anything from an ultrasound and will probably refer you for a gyne appointment anyway after you get your results through the GP anyway.

These sorts of things need sorting ASAP as, like you said it could be anything but also it will likely take a long time to sort out. I have been suffering from similar problems as described for years, and it still isn't sorted. So, as soon as you start the process the better.
Reply 19
Original post by hslt
3 months does seem like a long time, but if the GP was to suspect cancer there would be a different referral pathway and then the wait would be much much shorter.

If you're worried go back to your GP - they will be able to explain/help you more.

It's not just cancer that's the worry, although on reading about it, many women don't get diagnosed with ovarian cancer till it's in a later stage because GPs haven't suspected it because they associate the symptoms with other illnesses - apparently ovarian cancer has been referred to as 'the silent killer' because GPs haven't considered cancer until it's too late.Though that could go the other way, and my symptoms might actually be from a completely different health problem.
It's just the general fact of being in pain and possibly having to put up with it/have the pain get more severe for another 3 months before they might be able to find out what is causing the pain and get treated for it - for example my auntie having to wait so long for tests and treatments that her ovaries had to be removed along with her ovarian cysts.
I'm going to go back to my GP next week if my pains haven't gotten any better, he did say himself we wanted me to have an ultrasound as soon as possible and he said it would be 3 weeks wait at the most, so a 3 month wait does seem a bit extreme.

Quick Reply

Latest