The Student Room Group

English Literature- how do I revise?

I'm doing English Literature GCSE and this will be my second and final English Literature exam (I'm in Year 11). We're currently studying Of Mice and Men and The Crucible, if that's of any interest. Last year, I did loads of past questions for another English Literature exam which my teacher marked and thought were all A*s but in the real exam, I managed to achieve a low B, so I'm now trying to find different ways of revising (although it may have just been exam stress).

However, I'm not sure on how I could revise for this because I have bought a revision guide for the Crucible and so I thought I might make around 8 mind maps which summarises all the information from the entire book. However, I find this to be extremely tedious and it takes me about 2 to 3 hours to create one mind map and I am not even sure if it is "working" for me.

So, are there any other possible methods I could employ when revising? For instance, would be better if I just read through The Crucible and Of Mice and Men books several times so I become more familiar with it? Or should I just continue creating more mind maps and begin memorising quotes?
Reply 1
Well I got an A* in of mice and men and unseen poetry. What I did was a lot of exam practise. I also revised a certain amount of quotes for each character. PM me and I'll send you them.
You could identify some key scenes, key quotes etc, and look at past papers like you've been doing. What I find useful is to read examiners' reports, which show what they're looking for and what high-scoring pupils did to get the grades and why other students didn't do so well, then try and apply that to your own essay writing.
if mind maps don't work for you, don't use them as they won't be effective revision. When you look at past papers, look at the type of questions they ask as they are often quite similar year on year, and see what the question asks you as well.
Good luck with your exams:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ginger_comedian
You could identify some key scenes, key quotes etc, and look at past papers like you've been doing. What I find useful is to read examiners' reports, which show what they're looking for and what high-scoring pupils did to get the grades and why other students didn't do so well, then try and apply that to your own essay writing.
if mind maps don't work for you, don't use them as they won't be effective revision. When you look at past papers, look at the type of questions they ask as they are often quite similar year on year, and see what the question asks you as well.
Good luck with your exams:smile:

Do you know how I could test whether my revision technique is effective or not (e.g. mind maps)? :smile:
Original post by bobbricks
Do you know how I could test whether my revision technique is effective or not (e.g. mind maps)? :smile:

There isn't really a set test! But what you found out with mind maps was good, you realised they didn't work for you. Just test different techniques, e.g. making notes (not writing out class ones but little summaries), using revision guides to help identify key themes. Something which some people find useful is revising with someone- possibly talk to a friend about the texts. This will work for some as you can learn from each other.
Don't be disheartened, try some more past papers! You can always post them on here for some feedback this time too, they're really the best way to revise. It's almost like cheating if you've already done an exam in revision that comes up for the test.
Reply 6
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Don't be disheartened, try some more past papers! You can always post them on here for some feedback this time too, they're really the best way to revise. It's almost like cheating if you've already done an exam in revision that comes up for the test.

The thing is though, I'm doing the newer English Literature syllabus (from 2010) so I only have 6 past papers in total :frown:
The thing is though, I'm doing the newer English Literature syllabus (from 2010) so I only have 6 past papers in total :frown:

That's loads! Do all 6, and get your answers at A* standard for them all, and you won't need to do any more revision :h:
Reply 8
However, I find this to be extremely tedious and it takes me about 2 to 3 hours to create one mind map and I am not even sure if it is "working" for me.

You could try using a computer-based mind mapping app, which I find much faster and easier than drawing them out on paper. FWIW I use Coggle (http://coggle.it), which works for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending