The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick or reapply next year?

Hi guys,
currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Giveme45
Hi guys,

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

For investment banking, you'd be in a good position at Warwick. They are heavily targeted by big banks.

But I do understand what you mean by the prestige, so just don't worry about careers here, as you will be at no disadvantage coming from Warwick, but think of it as where you would like to be. If the answer is Oxford/LSE, then go for them again.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Alimbo95
For investment banking, you'd be in a good position at Warwick. They are heavily targeted by big banks.

But I do understand what you mean by the prestige, so just don't worry about careers here, as you will be at no disadvantage coming from Warwick, but think of it as where you would like to be. If the answer is Oxford/LSE, then go for them again.

Hmm, well Warwick campus and sports facilities seem nice, but really I would prefer LSE. I just don't know whether it would be worth the 1 year off, you know? And also LSE might reject me again?
Hi guys,

I'm not going to say whether you should apply again next year or not, but just remind you of one thing you need to consider.

Just because you have an offer from Warwick this year doesn't mean you would get one again next year, so if you do apply again, and you miss out on Oxford/LSE/other top Universities again then you may end up in a worse position than you are now.

While Warwick may not be as prestigious as you would have wanted it is at least a very, very good University that have offered you the chance to study there, and if you turn down an offer now you could end up without any decent offers in 12 months time.
Reply 4
Original post by officelinebacker
I'm not going to say whether you should apply again next year or not, but just remind you of one thing you need to consider.

Just because you have an offer from Warwick this year doesn't mean you would get one again next year, so if you do apply again, and you miss out on Oxford/LSE/other top Universities again then you may end up in a worse position than you are now.

While Warwick may not be as prestigious as you would have wanted it is at least a very, very good University that have offered you the chance to study there, and if you turn down an offer now you could end up without any decent offers in 12 months time.

Hmm yeah thats true.. I guess I could ask Warwick for a deferred entry or something? It's such a hard decision and I dont know whether the 1 year off would be worth it anyway... Thanks a lot!
You'd definitely be able to do a postgrad at any top UK uni with a degree from Warwick, providing you have the grades. Not sure about the US unis, though I understand they do like their uni reputation (this could false, I'm not completely sure).
Reply 6
Well, it really makes little difference. What matters most is how well you do in your degree. Take it from someone who went to a "top" uni and had the rude awakening that having a low 2:1 meant no job prospects, no matter whichever university you go to.

Besides, Warwick's Economics programme is nothing to shuck about with.

However, if you want to take another chance at it by reapplying in the next cycle, think about what you can do in the year off to better your chances and profile. If you take a year off and do not add something vital or interesting to your application in that time, that would actually hurt you more.
Hmm yeah thats true.. I guess I could ask Warwick for a deferred entry or something? It's such a hard decision and I dont know whether the 1 year off would be worth it anyway... Thanks a lot!

But if you do ask Warwick for a deferred entry then you would be unable to apply to any other Universities as your UCAS account would show that you are committed to a place at Warwick.
Reply 8
Firm Warwick, wait until you get your IB results then re-evaluate the situation. If you get 45, and you feel you really want to reapply, then go for it - there's a high chance you'll get at least a Warwick offer again.

Although to be fair, Warwick is indeed a target university - it will get you interviews. I guess you could make up for it through extra curricular, etc.
Also you should note that LSE is meant to have a pretty poor social life.
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
Also you should note that LSE is meant to have a pretty poor social life.

Not strictly true. I've had a pretty good social life with a large group of friends in my three years at the LSE. It's very subjective and comes down to what you make of it.
Original post by arrowhead
Not strictly true. I've had a pretty good social life with a large group of friends in my three years at the LSE. It's very subjective and comes down to what you make of it.

I know, which is why I had in italics. I'm just saying the stereotype is that a lot of LSE students aren't as social as your usual uni student.
Reply 12
Original post by ThatRandomGuy
I know, which is why I had in italics. I'm just saying the stereotype is that a lot of LSE students aren't as social as your usual uni student.

Intercollegiate halls and you're sorted, I've been told :tongue:
Reply 13
Hmm alright guys thanks for your responses!

I guess I will be fine with Warwick for a start, give my best to get a First, then either work for a few yeras or apply for a master at a top uni! Thanks a lot!
All these people here implying that LSE is somehow a top uni while Warwick isn't... :confused:
Warwick is in the same league as LSE. Maybe for that one course (economics), LSE has a slightly better reputation overseas, but I would not say that it is significant.
If you want to go into Investment banking, don't worry about going to Warwick even a little bit. It's solidly in one of the target unis; there are loads of banks coming here for talks, presentations, networking meetings, etc.
Although someone on the street might not have heard of Warwick outside the UK, it has a very good reputation in academia. I'm pretty sure admissions officers at top unis in the USA have heard of Warwick and know how good it is. Once again, not worth retaking over something like that.
Reply 15
Original post by crunchychips
All these people here implying that LSE is somehow a top uni while Warwick isn't... :confused:
Warwick is in the same league as LSE. Maybe for that one course (economics), LSE has a slightly better reputation overseas, but I would not say that it is significant.
If you want to go into Investment banking, don't worry about going to Warwick even a little bit. It's solidly in one of the target unis; there are loads of banks coming here for talks, presentations, networking meetings, etc.
Although someone on the street might not have heard of Warwick outside the UK, it has a very good reputation in academia. I'm pretty sure admissions officers at top unis in the USA have heard of Warwick and know how good it is. Once again, not worth retaking over something like that.

Hmm you'er probably right. Even though I still think that LSE has the edge over Warwick, the differencei s probablyn ot as significant as 1 whole year of waiting.
Reply 16
Hmm you'er probably right. Even though I still think that LSE has the edge over Warwick, the differencei s probablyn ot as significant as 1 whole year of waiting.

Have you looked into gap years? It could be a very good experience and, depending what you use it for, you can really be a different person at the end of it. I would say that you shouldn't rule it out, because they can be very beneficial, especially if you don't completely have your heart set on Warwick.

And to all the people saying LSE has a poor social life, yes, it is known to have quite a dull scene, but remember that you would be in London, so it'd very truly be what you make of it.

Has the edge in what way? Academically? I highly doubt it.
Socially? Definitely not. You will not meet the same range of people as at Warwick, only people studying economics and related subjects.
Chance of getting into Investment banking? Once again, companies don't care what uni you come from, as long as they are part of the target group (and warwick is solidly in there).
Reputation? Maybe LSE has a slightly better reputation for economics in Asia, but that's about it. If you ever plan to go into any other sector, Warwick wins out.
Reply 18
Original post by Alimbo95
Have you looked into gap years? It could be a very good experience and, depending what you use it for, you can really be a different person at the end of it. I would say that you shouldn't rule it out, because they can be very beneficial, especially if you don't completely have your heart set on Warwick.

And to all the people saying LSE has a poor social life, yes, it is known to have quite a dull scene, but remember that you would be in London, so it'd very truly be what you make of it.

Well, yeah I have thought of it, but my parents would not really support me on that :/ Or I just don't find the necessary arguments to convince them.
Reply 19
I wouldn't be worried if I was you. As to support you with an example I can mention my friend who graduated from Warwick, landed a job at Morgan Stanley and he's currently doing his MBA at Harvard. He wasn't in a worse position than people from oxbridge/lse.

Quick Reply

Latest