The Student Room Group

Year off then LSE or Oxbridge?

Hi guys,
currently I hold an offer for Warwick for straight Economics.

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Should I take a year off, then reapply?

Please tell me your opinions and advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well if you reapply you have no guarantee of getting offers from lse or Oxford and you might well get rejected by Warwick...
Reply 2
Original post by cl_steele
Well if you reapply you have no guarantee of getting offers from lse or Oxford and you might well get rejected by Warwick...

Perhaps I could ask warwick for a deffered entry?

I think that with a 44 or 45 IB i would have high chances of getting in this time or not?
Original post by Giveme45
Perhaps I could ask warwick for a deffered entry?

I think that with a 44 or 45 IB i would have high chances of getting in this time or not?

You can't reapply while holding an offer for deferred entry.

You said the reason you weren't successful was your MSA results, but these aren't going to change even if you reapply for next year, so you'd be at risk of being rejected again for exactly the same reason.
Reply 4
Original post by Potally_Tissed

You said the reason you weren't successful was your MSA results, but these aren't going to change even if you reapply for next year, so you'd be at risk of being rejected again for exactly the same reason.

Oh okay. Well i thinkthe reason the MSA results had such a huge weight is because my IB grades were just predicted. So perhaps it will be different once I hold the acutal grades.
Reply 5
Original post by Potally_Tissed

Remember though that they're probably more important for pre-results IB students as it's (unlike A Levels) a linear examination system, meaning there's no equivalent to AS Levels for them to go on. It's likely that as a post-results applicant there'd be much less emphasis on the GCSE equivalents.
Reply 6
Hi guys,

Warwick is my firm since I have been rejected by both Oxford and LSE due to bad MSA results (the german equivalent of GCSEs, i did not take them seriously back then).

I currently do the International Baccalaureate and I am confident of achieving a score of 44 or even 45 including a 7 in HL Mathematics and HL economics.

I know that Warwick is a great school and has nice reputation but I always wanted to attend a "top" university and I do not feel particularly well with being in a upper second tier one.

I believe that the course in Warwick is probably of equal standard as in Oxbridge and LSE, but I want to get into investment banking, and reputation is very important in this section.
I also want to do a Master in a top Uni (LSE, Oxford, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, Princeton), and I do not know if Warwick gives me the best opportunities to pursue this dream (even with a First?).

Go to Warwick. There is no guarantee that you'll get into the mentioned universities and the disadvantage you face in terms of IB is not worth a year out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Somehow I feel that no matter how much advice you get here to go to Warwick, your mind is quite set on reapplying!

As has been stated, if you do reapply, there's no guaranteeing you'd get an offer from Warwick the 2nd time round. This has actually happened to someone I know (who was an exceptional student).

Warwick has an incredibly well established reputation in the IB sector, and a 1st from the uni would certainly put you in good stead for Masters courses at other top unis.

I think most people will tell you it's not worth the risk to reapply for the sake of a slight difference in reputation. You stand to lose a lot more than what you could gain. But it's your decision of course!:dontknow:
Reply 8
Can I ask what subjects you are taking? What's the other higher?
Reply 9
Original post by Mathaddict
Somehow I feel that no matter how much advice you get here to go to Warwick, your mind is quite set on reapplying!

As has been stated, if you do reapply, there's no guaranteeing you'd get an offer from Warwick the 2nd time round. This has actually happened to someone I know (who was an exceptional student).

Warwick has an incredibly well established reputation in the IB sector, and a 1st from the uni would certainly put you in good stead for Masters courses at other top unis.

I think most people will tell you it's not worth the risk to reapply for the sake of a slight difference in reputation. You stand to lose a lot more than what you could gain. But it's your decision of course!:dontknow:

Haha well tbh I feel slightly more set towards going to warwick then to reapplying :P But thanks anyway! I guess I will take the chance instead of risking it!

Original post by All-in
Can I ask what subjects you are taking? What's the other higher?

I am taking HL: Maths, Econs, German B SL: Physics, English A Lang and Lit, French B
Haha well tbh I feel slightly more set towards going to warwick then to reapplying :P But thanks anyway! I guess I will take the chance instead of risking it!

Ah awesome! :borat:
Reply 11

I think that it depends how confident you are that you can manage 44 or 45. Especially HL Maths is pretty unpredictable, and I knew some people who were expecting 7's and ended up getting 5's.

However, if you ARE confident, then I reckon you should have a reasonable chance of getting into at least LSE, Oxbridge for Economics is just so unpredictable, the competition is ridiculous, so if your heart's set on there then you'll really need a 45. Also, if you end up getting something a bit lower, like 40 or 41, then that should still be good enough to get you into Warwick again next year, or into another equally good uni (Durham, UCL, Bristol).

So your call really - how sure are you about your IB score?
Never understood the obsession on here about what university you attend. Do you really think LSE is that much better than Warwick?
Original post by toast565
I think that it depends how confident you are that you can manage 44 or 45. Especially HL Maths is pretty unpredictable, and I knew some people who were expecting 7's and ended up getting 5's.

However, if you ARE confident, then I reckon you should have a reasonable chance of getting into at least LSE, Oxbridge for Economics is just so unpredictable, the competition is ridiculous, so if your heart's set on there then you'll really need a 45. Also, if you end up getting something a bit lower, like 40 or 41, then that should still be good enough to get you into Warwick again next year, or into another equally good uni (Durham, UCL, Bristol).

It shouldn't matter as IB results are in July - so he could wait, see what he gets, and then decide whether to go to Warwick or re-apply.
Reply 14

I am taking HL: Maths, Econs, German B SL: Physics, English A Lang and Lit, French B

Could be HL German B that hurt you, especially if you are fluent in German. Any HL B language is seen as weak, let alone one you are actually fluent in! LSE are very picky with subject combinations. I'm sure they would have preferred HL History, HL Physics or HL English A1 as the third higher. I don't know about Oxford.

Reapplying next year won't change much imho, even if you do get 44 or 45. I believe the problem is the subject combinations. As others have said, I think you should go with Warwick, it's an excellent university and is one of the 6 UK target universities for IB.
Reply 15
Original post by toast565

I am very very sure that I will achieve 44 atleast. Also in HL maths I am definetly sure about a 7. I am practicing pastpapers under exam conditions and averaging 90-95% results, and got 90% in the mocks as well. But I guess that even then its not a sure thing? And perhaps the year off isnt worth the extra bit of prestige.

Original post by All-in
Could be HL German B that hurt you, especially if you are fluent in German. Any HL B language is seen as weak, let alone one you are actually fluent in! LSE are very picky with subject combinations. I'm sure they would have preferred HL History, HL Physics or HL English A1 as the third higher. I don't know about Oxford.

Reapplying next year won't change much imho, even if you do get 44 or 45. I believe the problem is the subject combinations. As others have said, I think you should go with Warwick, it's an excellent university and is one of the 6 UK target universities for IB.

Hmm that might actually be a reason. Never thought about that. Would they have mentioned it in the feedback? Because they said it was due to weak GCSE's.
Yeah I am just wondering whether or not this difference between Warwick and LSE/Oxford would be worht the year off.
Reply 16
you know warwick is considered a top 5 uni by most firms? :K: and so is definitely a top tier university?
Reply 17
Original post by KAB1010101
you know warwick is considered a top 5 uni by most firms? :K: and so is definitely a top tier university?

I think its more accurately considered a really good uni (upper 2ndtier), but top tier would be reffering to LSE and Oxford. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I think its more accurately considered a really good uni (upper 2ndtier), but top tier would be reffering to LSE and Oxford. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There is no "right" or "accurate", it's a matter of opinion. Some people will consider only Oxford and Cambridge to be "top tier", some would add LSE as well, some would also include Imperial and UCL, some would include Warwick.
Reply 19
Hi guys,

Sorry, but I have to tell you this straight out. You are really ungrateful. Warwick is a top 6 uni for IB.

Second of all, there is no guarantee that you may recieve an offer from LSE, Oxford or Cambridge.

Furthermore, if you did badly at what's equal to GCSE's, then LSE is going to slaughter you because they are very picky at that.

Moreover, it's "scary" how a smart person like you have not taken time to actually research you career path you say you are interested in.

Look at this quote right here; Warwick is top 6.

banks also have an elite group of ‘target’ universities to which they’ll actively sell a career within investment banking. At undergraduate level in the UK (in no particular order) these are Oxford, Cambridge, London School of Economics (LSE), UCL, Imperial College London and Warwick.

The likes of Kings College London, Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester, Bath and Edinburgh are also well-regarded.

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/53928/which-university-is-best-for-breaking-into-banking/

Second of all, let me comment on your Master's plan which is excellent, however once again it is not based in reality.

What I mean by this is:

1) You mean that Warwick won't give you chance to attend LSE, Oxford and Cambridge at Master's level? You are so wrong. Warwick will definitely give you a massive chance to attend LSE, Oxford and Cambridge at Master's level.

2) Harvard, Stanford, MIT and Princeton does NOT have pre-experience Master's degrees so in order to apply for some kind of Master's degree at these unis, you will need considerable professional experience which basically qualify you already by that time for MBA programs in Europe which are as good as those in the U.S. Once again, for these kind of Master's degrees, they will look a lot more on the quality of your work experience and GMAT score.

So the only place you can take prestigious pre-experience Master's degree is mainly in the UK and rest of the Europe, such as in France, Spain, Switzerland, etc.

There is only one pre-experience Master's degree in the U.S. which you might be interested in, and that's MMS at Duke University.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending