The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2015 hopefuls!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Lots of offers today over on the 2013 thread! :biggrin: Hopefully that will be us in a couple of years :redface: ...

You think that's exciting, you should see the facebook page! It's been craaaaazy over there the last few hours! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BeHappy
You think that's exciting, you should see the facebook page! It's been craaaaazy over there the last few hours! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did try to poke my nose in, but it's a closed group you see :tongue: . Glad to hear that so many people are receiving good news though! :biggrin:
Reply 262
Original post by CanineVet

Hiya Hjames welcome to the thread how much work experience do you have ?:smile:

Hiya, I only have one week at a stables at the moment as I don't turn 16 until the end of July so finding places has been more difficult, but i do have 4 weeks of clinical work booked for the summer and october half term and i'm hoping to do more farm-y, 'hands-on' stuff next year :smile:,

Has anyone got any favourite Unis yet or been to have a look at any?
Reply 263
Original post by HJames
Hiya, I only have one week at a stables at the moment as I don't turn 16 until the end of July so finding places has been more difficult, but i do have 4 weeks of clinical work booked for the summer and october half term and i'm hoping to do more farm-y, 'hands-on' stuff next year :smile:,

Has anyone got any favourite Unis yet or been to have a look at any?

I turn 16 then too :smile: Yeah I know what you mean it can be a great nuisance :tongue: but that's good you've got that lined up. I personally like Glasgow most because it is close to me, has a great reputation and its small animal hospital looks great! I haven't been inside it yet but from the pictures and info I have heard about it - it's sounds amazing :smile: I do like Edinburgh and the RVC but still unsure between Liverpool and Notts (have I feeling I may have stirred something in saying that lol :tongue:) what about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A two week placement I had at an animal shelter for summer just fell through. :frown: Back to the drawing board! :tongue:
Reply 265
A two week placement I had at an animal shelter for summer just fell through. :frown: Back to the drawing board! :tongue:

Awww that's a shame :frown: what happened?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww that's a shame :frown: what happened?

They could no longer take me on the original days that were planned, and they were busy on all the other dates that I suggested. They said I can come in 2014 though, so that's something to look forward too! :tongue:

So, for summer, I'm thinking:
- 2 Weeks Exotics Vet (SA)
- 2 Weeks LA Vet
- 2 Weeks Dairy Farm
- 2 Weeks Stable
- Any spare days urban farm ( ~15 days/3 weeks)

I'm hoping for 20 weeks by the end of summer, which is still way behind you. :s-smilie: I so wish I'd started earlier now! :tongue:
They could no longer take me on the original days that were planned, and they were busy on all the other dates that I suggested. They said I can come in 2014 though, so that's something to look forward too! :tongue:

- 2 Weeks LA Vet
- 2 Weeks Dairy Farm
- 2 Weeks Stable

I'm hoping for 20 weeks by the end of summer, which is still way behind you. :s-smilie: I so wish I'd started earlier now! :tongue:

You lot are still taking GCSES right??? I had 13 weeks on my application, you're all doing great!
Reply 268

- 2 Weeks LA Vet
- 2 Weeks Dairy Farm
- 2 Weeks Stable

Aww that's too bad :frown: well something to look forward to next year as you said :wink: and that's excellent why you have lined up for the summer (tbh I have nothing for this summer yet been lazy :/), you've got a good range and that means you should have covered the basics not long after it! And it's not quantity it's quality - I'd say I have just over 30 weeks but that's because I have done some things for two years so tht doesn't really count :tongue: I'm jealous about the LA vet can't find any practices nearby and the call out vets only take vet students. Oh well I hopefully find one soon. I can't wait to drive next year it will make getting to placements at more easy and accessible :smile: I might get kennels sorted for July and see what else I can rustle up :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 269
Original post by skatealexia
You lot are still taking GCSES right??? I had 13 weeks on my application, you're all doing great!

Yeah standard grades for me :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Psst if anyone wants to follow, at the moment I'm blogging everyday :smile:
Lots of offers today over on the 2013 thread! :biggrin: Hopefully that will be us in a couple of years :redface: ...

I have faith. You lot get more prepared every year!
Aww that's too bad :frown: well something to look forward to next year as you said :wink: and that's excellent why you have lined up for the summer (tbh I have nothing for this summer yet been lazy :/), you've got a good range and that means you should have covered the basics not long after it! And it's not quantity it's quality - I'd say I have just over 30 weeks but that's because I have done some things for two years so tht doesn't really count :tongue: I'm jealous about the LA vet can't find any practices nearby and the call out vets only take vet students. Oh well I hopefully find one soon. I can't wait to drive next year it will make getting to placements at more easy and accessible :smile: I might get kennels sorted for July and see what else I can rustle up :tongue:

None of that apart from the stables and farm is booked yet haha. I've been waiting for the animal shelter to get back to me, but I'll probably write and send out letters during Easter. The fabulous Dizzeedollee gave me loads of LA contacts, they're all quite far from me, but still, I'll get there! :tongue: I really don't know where I'm going to find the time/money for driving lessons so I think I may have to rely on public transport for the next year or so sadly. :frown:

Psst if anyone wants to follow, at the moment I'm blogging everyday :smile:

I'll have a look. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 273
None of that apart from the stables and farm is booked yet haha. I've been waiting for the animal shelter to get back to me, but I'll probably write and send out letters during Easter. The fabulous Dizzeedollee gave me loads of LA contacts, they're all quite far from me, but still, I'll get there! :tongue: I really don't know where I'm going to find the time/money for driving lessons so I think I may have to rely on public transport for the next year or so sadly. :frown:

I'll have a look. :biggrin:

I'm sure you'll get the placements :smile: Ugh LA vets like to avoid me I swear haha. I know time would be pressed for driving lessons because my birthday is half way through the year (and my mum wants me to start then :tongue:) and no doubt it would take a few months to do so I would be doing it when I should be applying to uni and writing up my ps and all that fun :tongue: I think I have an account made when I was younger for things like this and university etc so I think the finances are covered :tongue:

Oh and ill have a week peek at your blog too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure you'll get the placements :smile: Ugh LA vets like to avoid me I swear haha. I know time would be pressed for driving lessons because my birthday is half way through the year (and my mum wants me to start then :tongue:) and no doubt it would take a few months to do so I would be doing it when I should be applying to uni and writing up my ps and all that fun :tongue: I think I have an account made when I was younger for things like this and university etc so I think the finances are covered :tongue:

Oh and ill have a week peek at your blog too :smile:

The closest LA vet is over an hour away on public transport... fab. :tongue: The stuff us vet hopefuls do, eh. :rolleyes:

Have you thought of emailing the vet school and asking if they know any LA places? You may well get a list of places that only accept veterinary students on EMS placements, but it might be worth a try? :smile:
Reply 275
The closest LA vet is over an hour away on public transport... fab. :tongue: The stuff us vet hopefuls do, eh. :rolleyes:

Have you thought of emailing the vet school and asking if they know any LA places? You may well get a list of places that only accept veterinary students on EMS placements, but it might be worth a try? :smile:

Hahaha I know, I've luckily not had to travel in excess of half an hour or so for wex but that could soon change... Well I have contacted the equine hospital attached to the vet school but they said you had to be 18 so that's a no no but that could be a good idea :smile: That's hoping they don't tell me to bugger off and keep looking haha :tongue: ko but thanks that's a great idea! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If anyone fancies following me on twitter you'd be more than welcome... I'm on my lambing placement atm so expect lots of tweets about that, most of the time I just tweet about life at vet school, so it may give you a good idea about what life at vet school is like (in addition to all the blogs you read!)

I'll follow anyone from here back as I'm just as interested to see how you are all getting on with your applications!

https://twitter.com/jamsie555
Hahaha I know, I've luckily not had to travel in excess of half an hour or so for wex but that could soon change... Well I have contacted the equine hospital attached to the vet school but they said you had to be 18 so that's a no no but that could be a good idea :smile: That's hoping they don't tell me to bugger off and keep looking haha :tongue: ko but thanks that's a great idea! :biggrin:

You're lucky, I don't think I've done anything under half an hour away! :lol: In fairness, my SA placement was at a mahoosive hospital that was a bus journey away, rather that at any of the smaller placements that are within walking distance. My furthest placement has been 70 miles away from my home but I stayed with relatives for that.

The RVC occasionally post about farms on their Facebook page, which I keep an eye on. :h: The only problem is that most of them are closer to the Hawkshead campus, which is a little bit far to travel each day. :frown:

Original post by jamsie555
If anyone fancies following me on twitter you'd be more than welcome... I'm on my lambing placement atm so expect lots of tweets about that, most of the time I just tweet about life at vet school, so it may give you a good idea about what life at vet school is like (in addition to all the blogs you read!)

I'll follow anyone from here back as I'm just as interested to see how you are all getting on with your applications!

I don't have Twitter so can't follow you, but I'll check back from time to time to see what's going on. :smile:
You're lucky, I don't think I've done anything under half an hour away! :lol: In fairness, my SA placement was at a mahoosive hospital that was a bus journey away, rather that at any of the smaller placements that are within walking distance. My furthest placement has been 70 miles away from my home but I stayed with relatives for that.

The RVC occasionally post about farms on their Facebook page, which I keep an eye on. :h: The only problem is that most of them are closer to the Hawkshead campus, which is a little bit far to travel each day. :frown:

I don't have Twitter so can't follow you, but I'll check back from time to time to see what's going on. :smile:

All my placements for PCEMS were generally under half an hour :wink:
All my placements for PCEMS were generally under half an hour :wink:

Forgive me, but PCEMS? :colondollar:

I know EMS is Extra Mural Studies, not sure about the PC part and Google didn't help. :tongue: I'm guessing it's preclinical or something completely obvious like that, but I just wanna be sure :redface:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending