The Student Room Group

Medical school over 40

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ronove
Well I'm pretty sure you can apply to any undergraduate course with an Arts degree as long as you have the required A-levels like everyone else applying. I assumed the OP was wanting to apply to GEM.

To be honest, at this stage I would consider 5 year if it fits geographically and if they only require A2 Chem and AS (maybe A2 but would be a pain) Bio in terms of sciences.
Reply 21
Original post by Ronove
Well I'm pretty sure you can apply to any undergraduate course with an Arts degree as long as you have the required A-levels like everyone else applying. I assumed the OP was wanting to apply to GEM.

Original post by TDL70
To be honest, at this stage I would consider 5 year if it fits geographically and if they only require A2 Chem and AS (maybe A2 but would be a pain) Bio in terms of sciences.

When you apply as a graduate to an undergraduate course at Barts, they don't look at your A-Levels. They'll only consider your degree, they have separate requirements.
Reply 22
Original post by Legit
When you apply as a graduate to an undergraduate course at Barts, they don't look at your A-Levels. They'll only consider your degree, they have separate requirements.

According to info on their website they need minimum B grade in both AS Chem and Biology, assuming these are taken after degree. If taken prior to degree they require full A2. No AS/A2 science is required if your degree has an acceptable science component.
Reply 23
Original post by TDL70
According to info on their website they need minimum B grade in both AS Chem and Biology, assuming these are taken after degree. If taken prior to degree they require full A2. No AS/A2 science is required if your degree has an acceptable science component.

Tbh I am not 100% sure on this so i wont comment, call them up and ask! They'll be glad to give you all the info.

I know of this one girl in my year is 35 i think, and she had a Graphics degree or something, so she had to do her A levels in one year and then apply for medicine.
Reply 24
Original post by Legit
Mind you, around 60-70% of our year is graduates (on the undergrad course) so your bound to meet people your age!

Seriously? Jeez... why so many? We don't have a single one in my year. Last year, of 1468 applicants, just 19 were grads.
Reply 25
Original post by nexttime
Seriously? Jeez... why so many? We don't have a single one in my year. Last year, of 1468 applicants, just 19 were grads.

Basically they say Graduates generally pass exams better than undergrads and have more experience and make better grads etc.

There theory is that soon medicine will become graduate-entry only like America.
Reply 26
:smile: I know of someone aged 45 when she graduated from SGUL and while we are at it...she was made a wonderful Grandma on her graduation day!!! Okay now I'm just rambling nonsense- Point: Go for it!
Reply 27

Hi, where are you studying?
Reply 28
Original post by TDL70
Hi, where are you studying?

At Oxford.
Over 40's will generally not have much to put back into the NHS/country after the government has subsidized the majority of the cost of putting that person through med school (around £250k per person). By the time you graduate and get into employment you will probably be nearing retirement age, hence them favoring younger people...
Reply 30
Original post by yorkshire.lad
Over 40's will generally not have much to put back into the NHS/country after the government has subsidized the majority of the cost of putting that person through med school (around £250k per person). By the time you graduate and get into employment you will probably be nearing retirement age, hence them favoring younger people...

It's a valid point. However, we may be more likely to spend the remainder of our time before retirement (at least 15 years in my case) doing the same job that we sacrificed quite a lot to retrain for - a fair proportion of doctors do change careers and drop out of he NHS, some may emigrate, some may jack it in to have kids etc. And people are not all interchangeable - you might get a mediocre 18 year old and an excellent 42 year old.
But you do totally have a point. On paper, a 20 year old is a better, more economical bet than a 40 year old, all other things being equal.
At Oxford.

It doesn't matter what you study, being able to say that just sounds awesome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending