The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

What do southerners think of Northerners?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Generally friendly, and, from personal experience, fascinated by the South accent because, and I quote, it "sounds exactly like the Queen". But mostly good fun.

Most of the girls at my school reckon all Northerners are like those in Geordie Shore...
I've got to say, every time the jeremy kyle show is on the only people I ever see on there are northerners, thats why lots of people in the south tend to think of northerners as scummy and uneducated.
I don't like the Liverpool and Newcastle accents, that's about it really.
Reply 143
Original post by idontkn0w
no, i'm saying thats the first impression i get when someone talks with that annoying northern accent. when i think of northern england i just think of chavs with pink skin, fat red lips, silk trackies and huge reebok trainers shouting things like "LAD!!!" "BANTER!!!!" "WOT THE FOCK MEEEEYYT"

london chavs are alright man, nowhere near as scummy as scousers/guys from manchester. i remember getting on a train from manchester station and a chav shouting "U ****IN PAKI" as soon as the doors close (i'm algerian, rofl).

dunno.. northeners just come across as typical english scum. i've never encountered such a dumb group of people in my life.. i'll kill em all (apart from karl pilkington). seriously, they're the reason the rest of the world think england are scum

I've lived in Bolton 18 years (literally round the corner from Manchester). I've never been abused by anyone, physically or verbally, in either Bolton or Manchester (used to go there every Saturday for years), and no one around me is racist.

Yet the first time I ever went to London, I had a few problems...

Firstly was how rude everyone was. I was a 16 year old girl on my own in the middle of a big city, and I had a (northern) accent so I obviously didn't know my way around. I was stood outside an underground station, and having never been to one before, I waited for people to walk in so I could ask what to do when I got in (I could see there was a guy selling tickets, but also machines, and turnstiles and I didn't know what to do), but everyone that walked past me looked at me and just ignored my "Excuse me"s. I was stood there for about 5-10 minutes (with tens of people having walked past) before I decided to venture in on my own.

So I get a ticket off the ticket guy, and walk down to the platform. What do I see? One platform. ONE. Meaning I'd waited outside for ten minutes for someone to just point. That's all they would have had to do. There was no different directions for different tubes, no other tracks, nothing. How hard is it to say "Down there" considering there was no other explanation needed. I won't even explain how hard it was to find someone to help me know which train (/tube, whatever you call them) I needed to get on.

Secondly, in the evening when I had met up with a friend I was meeting in London, we were sat outside a cafe at a table, and a guy comes up to us - as you would say, a "chav", who was drinking from a can of lager - and sits down on our table. He says hello, and explains to me how he thinks I'm "fit" (even though I was 16, and the guy must have been at least 20), and does this weird thing where he keeps biting his lip and looking at me. Then he asks me when I'm going home, because he'd like to take me somewhere (can't remember where) and have sex with me. He was going on for about 5 minutes about all this things he wants to do! I was horrified, disgusted, and obviously terrified. So I lied and said I was catching a train home soon.

To which he says is a shame, and tells me he was 'joking'. He says for around 2 more minutes about how he was joking (but not very convincingly), and then starts to walk away, saying, "I wouldn't mind though!" with some creepy stare!

This was just on my first night. However, unlike some, I actually remember the nice people I met in London as well. The friendly people; the people who helped me find me the tube, the people who told me directions, the people who were staying at the same place I was staying. If you actually thought about your trips you'd been on to the north, you'd remember these people as well.

Then you wouldn't start going around on forums badmouthing a place you evidently know little of. Despite all the horrible and terrifying people I met in London, I know that not everyone's like that, and I wouldn't say things like you just have. Because for all you know you could have met me in Manchester, and I'm none of the attributes you mentioned. So stop being so selective with your attention, and you'll remember all the good things about it as well. :smile:

PS: does stereotyping about 30 million people as 'scum', when you haven't even met 99.999999% of them, make you better than them?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 144
Original post by LewisG123
Chips and gravy, random words thrown in: "I'm going down the pub like with akid like" and rugby league

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my god, I only found out recently that London don't do gravy with chips! :eek:

What do you have on chips then?! Haha, I could never get anything from a chippy without gravy!
Original post by Turty
Oh my god, I only found out recently that London don't do gravy with chips! :eek:

What do you have on chips then?! Haha, I could never get anything from a chippy without gravy!

I was amazed when I got to university to find I'm the only person who hasn't had chips and gravy. You could just have ketchup? How do you eat a bag of chips with gravy, does it not leak?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just keep migrating further north tbh.. from Sheffield, moved up to the Lake District for sixth form and now I'm going to uni in Scotland!
So many people seem to think the whole of the UK revolves around London as this sort of 'Eldorado', actually, although London has plenty of things to offer, I'm not attracted by it in the slightest... it's dirty, loud and the people are too self-absorbed to have any time to show genuine altruism for anyone else. I know I'm generalising here, but it's hard not to when all my experiences of London seem to point to this one conclusion, for me it's just not worth the money (the prices are pretty much astronomical compared to up north) ..
I hope that people from down south, which I would class as being anywhere below Nottingham... actually take a chance to come up here and experience all the things we have to offer, which are mostly forgotten... friendly people, awesome nightlife, cheap food, amazing culture and an actual sense of community, which might startle those of you from London after hearing that northerners are just a load of idiots like those off Jeremy Kyle
and of course, not forgetting, our accents are the best by far!
Original post by teddypicker1
I just keep migrating further north tbh.. from Sheffield, moved up to the Lake District for sixth form and now I'm going to uni in Scotland!
So many people seem to think the whole of the UK revolves around London as this sort of 'Eldorado', actually, although London has plenty of things to offer, I'm not attracted by it in the slightest... it's dirty, loud and the people are too self-absorbed to have any time to show genuine altruism for anyone else. I know I'm generalising here, but it's hard not to when all my experiences of London seem to point to this one conclusion, for me it's just not worth the money (the prices are pretty much astronomical compared to up north) ..
I hope that people from down south, which I would class as being anywhere below Nottingham... actually take a chance to come up here and experience all the things we have to offer, which are mostly forgotten... friendly people, awesome nightlife, cheap food, amazing culture and an actual sense of community, which might startle those of you from London after hearing that northerners are just a load of idiots like those off Jeremy Kyle
and of course, not forgetting, our accents are the best by far!

Having experienced both I can safely say London is cleaner and has better nightlife. It is far more expensive but that's because salaries are generally higher and it's such a popular place to visit

Posted from TSR Mobile
So many northerners implying that southerners are unfriendly, not true at all!
I remember at school when I moved from Birmingham to Hertfordshire everyone would tell me to speak english or talk properly just because I said bath and grass and path without the r in it.
Reply 150
I was amazed when I got to university to find I'm the only person who hasn't had chips and gravy. You could just have ketchup? How do you eat a bag of chips with gravy, does it not leak?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! You must try it, and you'll see why! But proper gravy, not the watery crap you get from Chinese chippies. :wink:

Wait, you eat it in bags as well? We have them on a tray lol? Like, made of polystyrene?

Tell that to these guys! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXIIOozLXyU
The North is petty grim and feels like another country from a London perceptive. But Northerners are generally a good laugh and I always smile when I see a friendly Northerner in London sticking out in contrast to dour Londoners.

Geordies are a good laugh as well. Always look forward to seeing Newcastle play in London.
Reply 152
Original post by _SussexStudent
I've got to say, every time the jeremy kyle show is on the only people I ever see on there are northerners, thats why lots of people in the south tend to think of northerners as scummy and uneducated.

Well Jezza is filmed in Manchester, and these sort of people probably can't afford to travel haha.
Original post by Zürich
The North is petty grim and feels like another country from a London perceptive. But Northerners are generally a good laugh and I always smile when I see a friendly Northerner in London sticking out in contrast to dour Londoners.

Geordies are a good laugh as well. Always look forward to seeing Newcastle play in London.

How have you come to that conclusion? Apart from some ****e 90's tune?
Reply 154

Posted from TSR Mobile

Come to Canada, have chips with gravy and cheese curds. To my shame, I have yet to try some actual poutine. I'll eat basically anything else with meat/gravy, potatoes, and cheese, but every time I look at a box of poutine I can hear my arteries going "Nooooo, Godric, Don't dooo this to ussss!"

Seconded on the bag, though. I didn't know people ate chips in bags. I also just have a chip problem.

Anecdote:

I was in pizza pizza and saw their combos, and one was "add a bag of chips for only a dollar", and I was like "whaaaaat who the eff sells chips in bags" "but they don't even have a fryer" then the realization dawned "but wait...I'm Canadian! chips are thin deep-fried potato slices made elsewhere and transported in bags! Fries are deep-fried potato sticks! How ... ?!"

My brain wants everything made out of deep-fried potato to be chips. Though admittedly in Canada, fries are bought out of a chip truck. Nobody says fry truck.
Original post by 90pies an hour
How have you come to that conclusion? Apart from some ****e 90's tune?

Guess I'm spoiled living and growing up in London but tbh when I think about places like Grimsby, Carlisle, Hull I just think of high unemployment, old fellas drinking pints of bitter and tbh, a lot of chavs.

Then again I consider everywhere to be grim compared with London. Even somewhere like Birmingham which is a big city.
Original post by Zürich
Guess I'm spoiled living and growing up in London but tbh when I think about places like Grimsby, Carlisle, Hull I just think of high unemployment, old fellas drinking pints of bitter and tbh, a lot of chavs.

Then again I consider everywhere to be grim compared with London. Even somewhere like Birmingham which is a big city.

I'm sure people from Bermondsey, Hackney, Dagenham and the like feel the same...
Original post by 90pies an hour
I'm sure people from Bermondsey, Hackney, Dagenham and the like feel the same...

Hackney is culturally absolutely buzzing mate. Hipsters left right and center. Arguably the best bars etc in London.

Bermondsey, Dagenham* are pretty grim but at least you can be on Oxford Street in 30 minutes. What do you do if you're from Hull?

Although I quite like Dagenham tbh.
Original post by TobaccoSmoke
Southerners aren't one unified, homogenous group. I'm sure Southerners have a variety of different opinions on Northerners ranging from positive to negative.

ranging from negative to negative*
I come from an especially isolated area in the south. Here, the majority of the village has yet to hear that the Vikings have stopped raiding the north and that we can go there.

Those of us that do know this wouldn't go anyway, though. It's cold and (so I've heard) it's illegal to eat something that's not battered there.

Latest

Trending

Trending