The Student Room Group

HTC won't start up!

All day my phone was being weird, it wouldn't let me send a text because apparently my memory was too full, but it wouldn't let me into anything to delete stuff and make space.

Decided to try turning it off and on again but now I've turned it off it won't start back up :frown: It just keeps constantly playing the start-up screen and the little tune over and over again, what do I do?
Reply 1
I've seen something about holding down the volume and power button mentioned on the internet but it doesn't do anything for me and I don't want to make it worse :frown:
Reply 2
Got the volume button thing to work and got to a white menu and chose 'recovery' and now the screen is just black with a picture of a phone and a red triangle. :frown:
Reply 3
From what I've learned from googling I'm going to have to reboot, does that mean I'll lose all my photos? So pissed off right now!
Original post by Harley
From what I've learned from googling I'm going to have to reboot, does that mean I'll lose all my photos? So pissed off right now!

Can't help much with technology stuff but if your photos are on a memory card you could take it out and back them up :smile: or see if your pc picks it up when you connect USB to get stuff off.
Couldn't read and run with those sad faces!
I have a HTC too and they can be temperamental!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by WeirdLittleO
Can't help much with technology stuff but if your photos are on a memory card you could take it out and back them up :smile: or see if your pc picks it up when you connect USB to get stuff off.
Couldn't read and run with those sad faces!
I have a HTC too and they can be temperamental!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha thanks :smile:

I'd assume my photos were on the memory card but I'm not sure... I don't know if I'll be able to get things off the phone since it won't turn on though.

Yeah, wish I had an iphone, this one's been really funny lately!
Reply 6
Tried the 'Reboot' option but the same thing as before just happened.
Original post by Harley
All day my phone was being weird, it wouldn't let me send a text because apparently my memory was too full, but it wouldn't let me into anything to delete stuff and make space.

Decided to try turning it off and on again but now I've turned it off it won't start back up :frown: It just keeps constantly playing the start-up screen and the little tune over and over again, what do I do?

Hmm, that sounds bad. Is it under warranty? It sounds like you might have to send it away for repair.

Just to confirm, the phone is not booting up at all?
First take out the memory card and see if that makes a difference. All your photos and music etc... should be on there so you won't lose them.

If that doesn't work then as a last resort you can try a factory reset. to do this go back to that white screen menu you got to before and scroll down with the volume button and press the power button when on factory reset. This will try and reset the software and might work BUT! It will delete everything on your phone (contacts, texts etc...)

Like i said, if your contacts are on the Sim, or pictures and videos on the memory card then you won't lose much. But only try this as a last resort.

If it doesn't work then you have to send it back to HTC/your network to repair it under warranty.
Reply 8
Original post by Sum Gai
Hmm, that sounds bad. Is it under warranty? It sounds like you might have to send it away for repair.

Just to confirm, the phone is not booting up at all?
First take out the memory card and see if that makes a difference. All your photos and music etc... should be on there so you won't lose them.

If that doesn't work then as a last resort you can try a factory reset. to do this go back to that white screen menu you got to before and scroll down with the volume button and press the power button when on factory reset. This will try and reset the software and might work BUT! It will delete everything on your phone (contacts, texts etc...)

Like i said, if your contacts are on the Sim, or pictures and videos on the memory card then you won't lose much. But only try this as a last resort.

If it doesn't work then you have to send it back to HTC/your network to repair it under warranty.

Nope, I can only get the white HTC screen or, if I try recovery, I get the black screen with a red triangle.

I'm not sure whether all my pictures are on the memory card so I'm a bit gutted that I might lose them! The annoying thing was that only yesterday I thought that I should probably back them up somewhere! And I know not all of my contacts are on the sim but they're not quite as important.

I'm not sure if my warranty will count, my phone got wet ages ago and it was fine afterwards and from what I can see the water-damage panels haven't changed colour but the internal one might have...
Original post by Harley
Nope, I can only get the white HTC screen or, if I try recovery, I get the black screen with a red triangle.

I'm not sure whether all my pictures are on the memory card so I'm a bit gutted that I might lose them! The annoying thing was that only yesterday I thought that I should probably back them up somewhere! And I know not all of my contacts are on the sim but they're not quite as important.

I'm not sure if my warranty will count, my phone got wet ages ago and it was fine afterwards and from what I can see the water-damage panels haven't changed colour but the internal one might have...

If your memory card has always been in the phone then it is very likely that pictures/videos/music will be saved there. The only thing things that you might lose are contacts (which may be on the sim card) and texts and other stuff like app data.

Which phone is it by the way? Is it still in contract or are you Payg/sim only?
Do you have insurance for the phone?

It is worth trying the factory reset to see if that works. (but like i said, as a last resort)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Sum Gai
If your memory card has always been in the phone then it is very likely that pictures/videos/music will be saved there. The only thing things that you might lose are contacts (which may be on the sim card) and texts and other stuff like app data.

Which phone is it by the way? Is it still in contract or are you Payg/sim only?
Do you have insurance for the phone?

It's an HTC Desire, and my dad got it when he upgraded his contract. He gave it to me and I got a sim-only contract and put it in the phone. I have no idea whether he got insurance for it, but knowing him he probably didn't!
Original post by Harley
It's an HTC Desire, and my dad got it when he upgraded his contract. He gave it to me and I got a sim-only contract and put it in the phone. I have no idea whether he got insurance for it, but knowing him he probably didn't!

Ah right, so because the phone is out of contract and stuff you can pretty much do what you want with it. A repair will probably cost a lot more than a new phone does. (depending on the phone). So it might be worth looking into that option and then selling the phone as spares and repairs on ebay. (can get around £20-£30)

Try the factory reset option now. If it doesn't work then it's up to you really.
Reply 12
Did a reboot and it's started up now, going to put back in my sd card and then start it again and see what I've got left :smile:
Reply 13
My photos are ok!
Thats good to know. When you said you did a reboot did you mean factory reset? or did you just turn the phone and on and off like you'd done before. Because that's weird that it'd just start working like that.
Reply 15
Original post by Sum Gai
Thats good to know. When you said you did a reboot did you mean factory reset? or did you just turn the phone and on and off like you'd done before. Because that's weird that it'd just start working like that.

No a factory reset, so annoying having to get all my settings and stuff back to normal but at least it's working now! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Harley
No a factory reset, so annoying having to get all my settings and stuff back to normal but at least it's working now! :smile:

It can be annoying but the reason i suggested it was because if the phone was not working that was a last resort to get it working.

At least now everythings fine and you have all your pictures and stuff. It's just getting the settings back to normal.

one less thing to worry about haha
Reply 17
Use Free Mobile Helper to manage your mobile phone. Move some apps to SD card and make room.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending