The Student Room Group

Squats, Parallel or Ass to Grass?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
What's peoples opinions?

I am an ATG man and believe it's the best way to squat. Full ROM or go home.

Others like doing to parallel or near parellel since they can do more weight and if you ever wanted to compete in powerlifitng you only need to be parallel.

My opinion is that opinions on this are stupid.

People who compete in powerlifting squat to the depth prescribed by their sport. If someone who is going to compete in powerlifting is squatting high then this is wrong. Obvs.

As for anyone else it doesn't matter. Far too much energy is spent (as I am spending now) arguing/discussing this. It really doesn't matter. No type of squat is 'better'.

Squat in a manner that is comfortable for you, works with your biomechanics and produces the results that you desire. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant.
Reply 21
Not flexible enough for ATG.

Been experiencing some pain in left knee lately. At first I thought it was knees drifting inwards but it ain't that. May have to go past parallel.
Original post by silent ninja
Maximum knee pressure is at parallel. Simple moments. I have knee problems too. Go a bit lower and you'll probably find it a lot better. Depends exactly on your injury though, but regardless, parallel definitely places the most shear force on the knee joint.

It just feels different, like the minute I go past that point it feels like my knee is just about to dislocate again. It's probably in my head more than anything though, sort of traumatised me the last time haha.
Original post by llessur123
It just feels different, like the minute I go past that point it feels like my knee is just about to dislocate again. It's probably in my head more than anything though, sort of traumatised me the last time haha.

It could be your particular injury. You could always start super light and gradually add weight and see if it feels any better.
Original post by silent ninja
It could be your particular injury. You could always start super light and gradually add weight and see if it feels any better.

Yeah I've been trying at home without any weights and it doesn't seem to happen so I'm going to gradually build it up :smile:
Original post by Motorbiker
if you ever wanted to compete in powerlifitng you only need to be parallel.

No in powerlifting you need to go below parallel.
Reply 26
Original post by Smack

In the SPF you have to only be about 6 inches above parallel.... :wink:
If you get someone who squats with average depth to squat ATG with the same weight, they'll likely find themselves stuck trying to squat back up. That's pretty obvious though. I can squat considerably more if I only hit parallel.

Having said that, I don't think there is a better, worse, wrong or right way. It depends on what sport you practise. Sprinters/jumpers require extreme strength in the end part of the ROM, so it's not at all uncommon for them to do partial squats. Powerlifters obviously have to meet certain depths, and going any lower isn't necessary for them. Olympic lifters are going to benefit from ATG. Etc.
Reply 28
Below parallel, but I wouldn't class myself as ATG...I used to be able to do great form ATG but it doesn't happen now with my ankle flexibility...both are pretty screwed. I will sort it one day.
Original post by Smack

It depends on the federation, but in general it's usually parallel i.e. the crease of the hip in line with the knee.
I front squat deep and I back squat an inch or two below parallel.

Most people can't squat ass to heels due to mobility/possibly structural issues. I don't think it is necessarily something to be concerned about.
Original post by TooEasy123

Having said that, I don't think there is a better, worse, wrong or right way. It depends on what sport you practise. Sprinters/jumpers require extreme strength in the end part of the ROM, so it's not at all uncommon for them to do partial squats. Powerlifters obviously have to meet certain depths, and going any lower isn't necessary for them. Olympic lifters are going to benefit from ATG. Etc.

This, pretty much. Whichever suits your goals.

I personally squat high-bar as deep as I can every rep, which is significantly below parallel but not ATG. Stretching to reach that :biggrin: I'm considering starting o-lifting but I'm not 100% sure, and I hear there is much more carry over from deep HB squats to parallel LB than vice versa. Makes sense, too: if you train full ROM then chances are you'll be decent at all parts of the ROM; if you only train partial ROM then there's no reason you should be strong at the part you don't train.

One thing about ATG squats is that they are horrible for your knees IF you let them track inwards (your knees are a very strong joint when they're in line with your foot; not if not); if not then I'm fairly sure they're better for knee health than above parallel, contrary to popular opinion.
Original post by Foghorn Leghorn
It depends on the federation, but in general it's usually parallel i.e. the crease of the hip in line with the knee.

No, if you look at the rule books every federation will define a correctly performed squat as having the top of the knee above the crease of the hip, or words to those effect, i.e. a below parallel squat.
Original post by Smack
No, if you look at the rule books every federation will define a correctly performed squat as having the top of the knee above the crease of the hip, or words to those effect, i.e. a below parallel squat.

Lol I'm not going to argue with you about what constitutes as parallel and bellow.

Quick Reply

Latest