The Student Room Group

Chemistry AS Units 1 and 2 Organic

Which organic mechanisms do we need to know (for Edexcel AS Chemistry, Units 1 and 2)?

I know the electrophilic addition mechanism is needed, as are both (SN1 and SN2) nucleophilic substitution mechanisms. Do we need the elimination mechanism(s)? Esterification? Oxidation of alcohol to aldehyde/ketone/carboxylic acid?

For each reaction, we need rates (is it fastest with a primary, secondary, tertiary, longer alkyl chain, shorter alkyl chain, etc.) and conditions. Anything else?

And do we need physical trends in the organic groups (e.g. alcohols have higher boiling points than aldehydes, etc; primary alcohols have higher boiling points than tertiary alcohols, etc.)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Big-Daddy
Which organic mechanisms do we need to know?

I know the electrophilic addition mechanism is needed, as are both (SN1 and SN2) nucleophilic substitution mechanisms. Do we need the elimination mechanism(s)? Esterification? Oxidation of alcohol to aldehyde/ketone/carboxylic acid?

For each reaction, we need rates (is it fastest with a primary, secondary, tertiary, longer alkyl chain, shorter alkyl chain, etc.) and conditions. Anything else?

And do we need physical trends in the organic groups (e.g. alcohols have higher boiling points than aldehydes, etc; primary alcohols have higher boiling points than tertiary alcohols, etc.)?

Which board?
Reply 2
Original post by joostan
Which board?

Oh sorry, I should have specified - Edexcel.
Reply 3
Oh sorry, I should have specified - Edexcel.

Ahh I do AQA and need to know all of the above :s-smilie:
As for you its very long and i don't want to read it all so here you go:
Learn all on this :tongue: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024832%20GCE%20in%20Chemistry%20Issue%204%20250510.pdf
Reply 4
Original post by joostan
Ahh I do AQA and need to know all of the above :s-smilie:
As for you its very long and i don't want to read it all so here you go:
Learn all on this :tongue: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024832%20GCE%20in%20Chemistry%20Issue%204%20250510.pdf

What are all the mechanisms you need for AQA?

The Edexcel has some weird stuff I doubt you'll find anywhere else ... ever heard of the "O2 and O3 free radical substitution mechanism" or "discuss and explain, including mechanisms and the reactions involved, reasons CFCs are no longer used due to their damaging effect on the O3 layer"?
Reply 5
What are all the mechanisms you need for AQA?

The Edexcel has some weird stuff I doubt you'll find anywhere else ... ever heard of the "O2 and O3 free radical substitution mechanism" or "discuss and explain, including mechanisms and the reactions involved, reasons CFCs are no longer used due to their damaging effect on the O3 layer"?

Yeah we got that.
Mechanisms:
Free radical substitution.
Elimination.
Nucleophillic substitution.
Electrophillic addition
Dehydration of alcohols using H2SO4
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by joostan
Yeah we got that.
Mechanisms:
Free radical substitution.
Elimination.
Nucleophillic substitution.
Electrophillic addition
Dehydration of alcohols using H2SO4

Dehydration of alcohols is just leaving-group elimination isn't it?

What is my syllabus really asking for when it says "O2 and O3 free radical substitution mechanism" or "discuss and explain, including mechanisms and the reactions involved, reasons CFCs are no longer used due to their damaging effect on the O3 layer"? Anywhere I can find these online (because they aren't in my textbook)?
Reply 7
Dehydration of alcohols is just leaving-group elimination isn't it?

What is my syllabus really asking for when it says "O2 and O3 free radical substitution mechanism" or "discuss and explain, including mechanisms and the reactions involved, reasons CFCs are no longer used due to their damaging effect on the O3 layer"? Anywhere I can find these online (because they aren't in my textbook)?

Yes but its a slightly different mechanism.
As for the rest provided you know the mechanisms the rest is common sense.
O3 absorbs UV radiation, without it the radiation can get through to the earth.
Reply 8
Original post by joostan
Yes but its a slightly different mechanism.
As for the rest provided you know the mechanisms the rest is common sense.
O3 absorbs UV radiation, without it the radiation can get through to the earth.

So what bond is being broken in the case of O3/O2 free radical substitution, and what are the radicals then substituting onto?
Reply 9
So what bond is being broken in the case of O3/O2 free radical substitution, and what are the radicals then substituting onto?

Cl.for example attacks O3 creating O2 and OCl.
Reply 10
Original post by joostan
Cl.for example attacks O3 creating O2 and OCl.

OK, and the destruction of O3 is "depletion of the ozone layer" with all these bad environmental effects that we keep hearing about, etc.

What is the relevance of CFCs? Just that they contain F and Cl which can then be made into radicals to make this process happen?
Reply 11
OK, and the destruction of O3 is "depletion of the ozone layer" with all these bad environmental effects that we keep hearing about, etc.

What is the relevance of CFCs? Just that they contain F and Cl which can then be made into radicals to make this process happen?

Exactly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending