The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Textbooks all the way, my teachers explanations are also so vague, especially for history... and the only way I get top marks is by doing my own reading. This is true in state-schools mostly where the teaching is sub-standard for some subjects (especially history)
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
Textbooks all the way, my teachers explanations are also so vague, especially for history... and the only way I get top marks is by doing my own reading. This is true in state-schools mostly where the teaching is sub-standard for some subjects (especially history)

I completely agree. Whenever I try to use notes I always get paranoid the content simply doesn't cover everything.
Depends entirely on the subject. In Maths, for example, I self teach entirely from textbooks. However, for Physics this is impossible to do because the textbooks are absolutely appalling for OCR B.

(I also think this will vary from person to person - some people can't stomach the idea of self-teaching and for them the textbook will never be anything more than supplementary questions.)
Reply 4
When you have a textbook that has mistakes on nearly every page like Further Pure 2 etc by aqa you will feel teachers and better than textbooks but i think that textbooks are good as well but need to be used with teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by astrojg
When you have a textbook that has mistakes on nearly every page like Further Pure 2 etc by aqa you will feel teachers and better than textbooks but i think that textbooks are good as well but need to be used with teaching

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the only time I integrate the two, is when I'm looking at exam technique.
Reply 6
Also does anyone notice how at alevel sometimes teachers just directly use the textbook for everything, I swear there's supposed to be teaching not copying. Like my maths teacher he often gets stuff wrong yet hes looking directly at the book. Sometimes I think having a teacher is good for easing you into a subject, but then when depth comes along then the textbook is more effective
Reply 7
Original post by Robbie242
Also does anyone notice how at alevel sometimes teachers just directly use the textbook for everything, I swear there's supposed to be teaching not copying. Like my maths teacher he often gets stuff wrong yet hes looking directly at the book. Sometimes I think having a teacher is good for easing you into a subject, but then when depth comes along then the textbook is more effective

This. My business teacher literally just reads out the book. In school I noticed this a lot more, I genuinely thought "What is the point in being here?"
Original post by xxm
I personally have always revised from textbooks and was wondering how many people did this and what grade they got. My courses are History, business and Law.

Out of interest, who believes teachers notes are more useful than a textbook? Or do you, like me, believe textbooks are more than enough to gain good grades?

This is a really good question tbh.

When you say "revise" it depends on what you mean. For example for my GCSE Biology we used to make notes every lesson however I never once used these notes for revision. In terms of A-levels I do use my notes a lot for my subjects. However for Philosophy I use the little notes I made from the teacher talking and apply them to what's written in the textbook. I do this because I find my teachers notes extremely confusing and the textbook is a lot more clear at explaining things.

I do think textbooks are useful within reason. I think teachers notes combined with textbook are good. However I do think teachers notes can be extremely hard to understand at times.

In terms of what you asked:

I never revise solely from a textbook without referring to my notes. (Apart from GCSEs).
However I do think if I would have had the Philosophy textbook before my January exam I would have gotten a better grade. The teacher cannot cover everything in depth when there is such little time, in which case the textbook is amazing... Because it picks up on links and goes into depth.

If a teacher is good, and I mean really good I don't think a textbook is needed. However a textbook always provides that something more with extra tips and what not that a teacher doesn't provide.

For me personally I read people on TSR self teach themselves subjects and I find this extraordinary. I don't think I could ever do such a thing. For me a teacher is needed to explain the core basics then I think I could manage to pass with the help of a textbook. But for me to rely just on the textbook without a teacher... I would find this virtually impossible.

Overall I'd say a mixture of the both is best. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by xxm
This. My business teacher literally just reads out the book. In school I noticed this a lot more, I genuinely thought "What is the point in being here?"
Same with my History teacher... sometimes they would just read the book, other times they would make us write the book in class, as if people were not capable of doing it at home... I think some teachers are only good for exam technique (in some cases) apart from my econ teacher who told me to ignore negative PES costing me my A haha. But yeah loads of my teachers do this, and I get loads more done at home then at school...
Maths: I find my teacher most helpful.
Biology: I find the textbook most helpful.
Chemistry: I find the textbook most helpful.
English lit: I find my teacher most helpful.

Yeah, depends entirely on the subject/teacher, really. :smile:
Reply 11
I find textbooks so much better.
I think teachers are so vague because they already know the stuff, in their head everything makes sense!
I love the Edexcel textbooks, they're brilliant.
I think that it depends on the teacher and the subject. Also on it depends on the person, like I know some people who can just pick up the textbook, read it once or twice then get an A in the exam for that subject whereas I can't do that and even though the textbook is useful sometimes, I generally use it more for reference rather than teaching myself. Some teachers are good at the 'teaching' side of things and if you get one of those types of people then you don't need to rely on the textbook so much as long as you understand what is going on, but too many teachers just rely on the textbooks to practically do the lesson for them which is not only boring most of the time, but unhelpful. It all depends
Reply 13
Original post by >Username<
This is a really good question tbh.

When you say "revise" it depends on what you mean. For example for my GCSE Biology we used to make notes every lesson however I never once used these notes for revision. In terms of A-levels I do use my notes a lot for my subjects. However for Philosophy I use the little notes I made from the teacher talking and apply them to what's written in the textbook. I do this because I find my teachers notes extremely confusing and the textbook is a lot more clear at explaining things.

I do think textbooks are useful within reason. I think teachers notes combined with textbook are good. However I do think teachers notes can be extremely hard to understand at times.

In terms of what you asked:

I never revise solely from a textbook without referring to my notes. (Apart from GCSEs).
However I do think if I would have had the Philosophy textbook before my January exam I would have gotten a better grade. The teacher cannot cover everything in depth when there is such little time, in which case the textbook is amazing... Because it picks up on links and goes into depth.

If a teacher is good, and I mean really good I don't think a textbook is needed. However a textbook always provides that something more with extra tips and what not that a teacher doesn't provide.

For me personally I read people on TSR self teach themselves subjects and I find this extraordinary. I don't think I could ever do such a thing. For me a teacher is needed to explain the core basics then I think I could manage to pass with the help of a textbook. But for me to rely just on the textbook without a teacher... I would find this virtually impossible.

Overall I'd say a mixture of the both is best. :smile:

I agree to a certain point I need my teacher to help me organise and structure my essay, but that's about it for me. In terms of content the textbook hands down. I find more useful! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
Textbooks, my teachers teach a lot of unstructured irrelevant crap
my Sociology textbook is written by the actual examiners so it's far more trustworthy tbh
(edited 11 years ago)
I absolutely agree with you. I understand more by reading books.

Original post by xxm
I personally have always revised from textbooks and was wondering how many people did this and what grade they got. My courses are History, business and Law.

Out of interest, who believes teachers notes are more useful than a textbook? Or do you, like me, believe textbooks are more than enough to gain good grades?

Latest

Trending

Trending