The Student Room Group

Didn't do well in January, freaking out about summer, JUST STARTED REVISION!

--------------
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for making this thread! I only did one exam in January and was a couple of marks off a C. Wasn't happy at all. Haven't really started, I finish school tomorrow so I'm starting revision then.
Best thing to do is to about 20/30 mins of revision and then take a break for 10/15 mins and start again.
Reply 2
If you work hard now and get a fantastic exam paper, you can claw things back. Don't give up!
Reply 3
Original post by Safiya122
Thanks for making this thread! I only did one exam in January and was a couple of marks off a C. Wasn't happy at all. Haven't really started, I finish school tomorrow so I'm starting revision then.
Best thing to do is to about 20/30 mins of revision and then take a break for 10/15 mins and start again.

I know how you feel! I was 1 mark off a C, and the grade boundaries were really tight surprisingly, which meant I was 4 marks off a B (stupid UMS makes people feel crap)
Reply 4
Original post by iLoveMyCatsx
I know how you feel! I was 1 mark off a C, and the grade boundaries were really tight surprisingly, which meant I was 4 marks off a B (stupid UMS makes people feel crap)

:frown:
Best thing to do is revise 1000% harder.
If I'm perfectly honest I hardly did any revision in my free periods. I tend to spend them just chilling out with friends and often I feel too distracted to get on with revision in school.

Are you getting a study leave?
Reply 5
Original post by Safiya122
:frown:
Best thing to do is revise 1000% harder.
If I'm perfectly honest I hardly did any revision in my free periods. I tend to spend them just chilling out with friends and often I feel too distracted to get on with revision in school.

Are you getting a study leave?

Sorry about the quoting, I don't know how to reply properly yet xD

Yeah I hardly did any revision during Christmas holiday >.< I did 10 days revision *face palm* and then I got A's and B's in past papers
Then I did 10 days chem revision, got D's in my past papers, panicked days before my biology and chem exams, managed to postpone chem exam and moved it to the summer the day before my biology exam and I guess I lost my mojo, or I was a generous self-marker.
Yeah I get study leave! 2 weeks after school starts again, but I have chemistry EMPA to do in the second week >.<
Hi I am new to this - literally just signed up now - and I am FREAKING. OUT.

I didn't do well AT ALL in my January module for biology (the only module I did) - I got a D, I was Devastated (lol) and now that I have found out I have 8 exams in the summer (2 chem, 2 bio, 2 psychol, 2 class civ) I AM FREAKING OUT

So I only just started revision today, I got home at 3:15 since I had a free last and I went straight away (well 15 mins after I got home) onto my laptop made notes on 2 topics on microsoft word using my text book and on-line websites and I stopped doing this around 40 mins ago, so I think that's 6 and a bit hours (I think)
- The topics were DNA, meiosis, mitosis, cell cycle ummm and genetic variation....jeeeeez 6 hours sounds like I am some tortoise when it comes to revision omg lol (also I wrote down past exam questions and their answers in a book from each past paper there have ever been (I swear one whole hour must have been me looking through the past papers to find the relevant questions)

Do you think if I keep at it like this for the rest of the week and then do like 10 hours everyday during easter that I will be able to get on top of things and WONT FAIL?

I swear I must have had some adrenalin rush because when I was revising January exams, I couldn't even manage 3 hours without it getting tedious and as if it's a chore...

I am freeaking out to the point that I cannot even sleep at night...HELP:frown::frown::frown::confused::confused::confused::eek4::eek4::eek4::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

I got a D in bio too :frown: and im freaking out as well!!!do you do AQA??
I do classic civ too...and i know im going to do so badly in that one- do you do the town planning and architecture module?
Hi I am new to this - literally just signed up now - and I am FREAKING. OUT.

I didn't do well AT ALL in my January module for biology (the only module I did) - I got a D, I was Devastated (lol) and now that I have found out I have 8 exams in the summer (2 chem, 2 bio, 2 psychol, 2 class civ) I AM FREAKING OUT

So I only just started revision today, I got home at 3:15 since I had a free last and I went straight away (well 15 mins after I got home) onto my laptop made notes on 2 topics on microsoft word using my text book and on-line websites and I stopped doing this around 40 mins ago, so I think that's 6 and a bit hours (I think)
- The topics were DNA, meiosis, mitosis, cell cycle ummm and genetic variation....jeeeeez 6 hours sounds like I am some tortoise when it comes to revision omg lol (also I wrote down past exam questions and their answers in a book from each past paper there have ever been (I swear one whole hour must have been me looking through the past papers to find the relevant questions)

Do you think if I keep at it like this for the rest of the week and then do like 10 hours everyday during easter that I will be able to get on top of things and WONT FAIL?

I swear I must have had some adrenalin rush because when I was revising January exams, I couldn't even manage 3 hours without it getting tedious and as if it's a chore...

I am freeaking out to the point that I cannot even sleep at night...HELP:frown::frown::frown::confused::confused::confused::eek4::eek4::eek4::afraid::afraid::afraid::afraid:

I understand that you're panicking but 10 hours sounds a bit much.
Maybe try and think of it like a school day? Start at 9 then have a morning break, a lunch hour then finish at 4/5. The evening off will give you something to look forward to.
Also try and make sure you structure your revision really well so you're not wasting loads of time one one topic.

I did chemistry A-level which I think is similar in revision techniques. I would really recommend getting a revision guide which focuses on your exam board, because they have only the important information unlike a textbook. For each section I underlined things in my revision guide and then answered the questions at the end of the chapter. Then made sure I did at least 5 past papers.
Don't forget about past papers because you'll miss out on learning exam technique!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ***OpenSky***
I got a D in bio too :frown: and im freaking out as well!!!do you do AQA??
I do classic civ too...and i know im going to do so badly in that one- do you do the town planning and architecture module?

Yeah I do AQA! omg the art and architecture module is my first exam and the hardest >.< how are we meant to remember the dates of all those temples and statues!!!! The odyssey module is way better for me, since I did it in GCSE too :smile: how are you feeling for class civ?
Reply 9
Original post by therisenmitten
I understand that you're panicking but 10 hours sounds a bit much.
Maybe try and think of it like a school day? Start at 9 then have a morning break, a lunch hour then finish at 4/5. The evening off will give you something to look forward to.
Also try and make sure you structure your revision really well so you're not wasting loads of time one one topic.

I did chemistry A-level which I think is similar in revision techniques. I would really recommend getting a revision guide which focuses on your exam board, because they have only the important information unlike a textbook. For each section I underlined things in my revision guide and then answered the questions at the end of the chapter. Then made sure I did at least 5 past papers.
Don't forget about past papers because you'll miss out on learning exam technique!

Good luck :smile:

Thanks! This helped, and I have so far been doing up to 5 hours of revision a day BUT I have been real busy lately with appointments for myself and my cats..... :^_^: but I make sure I finish my objectives for the day...
So I have lost quite a few hours a day for the past week :s-smilie:
What's annoying me now is that I have had to teach myself 3 topics for chemistry but we have finished everything in biology... Jeeeez I am meant to be going to a private school and they're wasting so many hours with freaking EPQ and cultural studies!!

What's weird is I am more motivated after school. like a couple days before the holiday I spent hours after school starting my revision for biology... in the holiday I haven't done as many hours (like 5 hours approx) ... so I hope I become motivated when I get back to school... I think it's the constant reminder of exams importance and being around really clever people that stresses me out to get my ass up to study xD
Reply 11
I still haven't started revision yet and I have 2 exams for biology, one being a retake for the D I got :frown: I'm not even focusing or taking it seriously....since I got my grades I haven't even put effort to achieve better :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do AQA and I had my Chemistry unit 1 exam in January, I'm having my B1 and P1 this summer. I'm quite nervous, does anyone want to share a few tips with me for B1 and P1? That'd be great! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got a D in a bio module in the summer and resit in January. I had the same problem revising over Easter and tried to go through all of the material but ran out of time towards the end. So I did lots of past papers. And came out with an A. Make a table or graph to see you're improving and it will motivate you, trust me. Also keep past papers you've done in the same place so you can see how much you've done and how close you are! Remember, especially for sciences, it's difficult coming up with good questions so they will repeat in some variation. If you can master past papers you will do much better than someone who has spent their time learning the spec back to front. But that's personal experience (went from BCC to ABB)
Original post by minthumbugs
I got a D in a bio module in the summer and resit in January. I had the same problem revising over Easter and tried to go through all of the material but ran out of time towards the end. So I did lots of past papers. And came out with an A. Make a table or graph to see you're improving and it will motivate you, trust me. Also keep past papers you've done in the same place so you can see how much you've done and how close you are! Remember, especially for sciences, it's difficult coming up with good questions so they will repeat in some variation. If you can master past papers you will do much better than someone who has spent their time learning the spec back to front. But that's personal experience (went from BCC to ABB)

Wow! That's pretty impressive! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentHLe
Wow! That's pretty impressive! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha afterwards my family said they knew I could do it and I proved everybody else wrong (I'm looking at teachers who predicted me a C!)

Please please don't panic because it doesn't help one iota. I was practically crying before AS exams and for my jan resits I went in with the mindset of "I like these subjects, I'm good at them, I've revised, I'm going to enjoy doing well!" Hey presto 86% from 52% :biggrin:
Haha afterwards my family said they knew I could do it and I proved everybody else wrong (I'm looking at teachers who predicted me a C!)

Please please don't panic because it doesn't help one iota. I was practically crying before AS exams and for my jan resits I went in with the mindset of "I like these subjects, I'm good at them, I've revised, I'm going to enjoy doing well!" Hey presto 86% from 52% :biggrin:

WOW! That's fab! Yeah, I've always try to prepare myself with the positive comments in my mind too. It does help, also I don't think having a lot of negative thoughts get you anywhere really /: and I'm predicted Ds for all my GCSEs because I'm a foreign student however at the moment I'm achieving As and A*s in all my subjects and I'm trying to aim as high as possible despite being a foreign student who has a low FFT target :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentHLe
WOW! That's fab! Yeah, I've always try to prepare myself with the positive comments in my mind too. It does help, also I don't think having a lot of negative thoughts get you anywhere really /: and I'm predicted Ds for all my GCSEs because I'm a foreign student however at the moment I'm achieving As and A*s in all my subjects and I'm trying to aim as high as possible despite being a foreign student who has a low FFT target :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great! keep telling yourself how well you're doing and you can't go wrong! sounds really bad but I loved my text for GCSE English lit so I actually really enjoyed the exam and came out with one of my only A* when I was predicted a B:smile:
Use the aqa nelson thornes textbook and cgp book to make notes for biol, then use model answers / common answers and learn them. I have biol1,2 as well if you wanna test each other.
I have 12 exams in summer-7AS... I know people who have resat all their exams and a2 ones, had 18 exams and come out with As. Never too late to start, believe to achieve!
That's great! keep telling yourself how well you're doing and you can't go wrong! sounds really bad but I loved my text for GCSE English lit so I actually really enjoyed the exam and came out with one of my only A* when I was predicted a B:smile:

Aw congrats! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending