The Student Room Group

Why is anime so popular nowadays?

I have noticed an incline in the amount of people who watch this type of Japanese cartoon. Until 2011 I had never heard of it (I realised later that this was programmes similar to pokemon) until one person began to watch it and since then the numbers of people who watch it have escalated and I began to notice that it was creeping up in tv genres which until then I had not noticed.

It was not long after that people were dressing up as their favourite characters (with many young teenagers dressed rather inappropriately) and going to anime conventions and it was astonishing by how many people had become obsessed with it all. From what I've heard the storylines are quite confusing and there is some very disturbing sexual content.

Why do you think it has suddenly become so popular? It's always been about but when did it begin to get recognised on a larger scale?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sheldorbaggins
I have noticed an incline in the amount of people who watch this type of Japanese cartoon. Until 2011 I had never heard of it (I realised later that this was programmes similar to pokemon) until one person began to watch it and since then the numbers of people who watch it have escalated and I began to notice that it was creeping up in tv genres which until then I had not noticed.

It was not long after that people were dressing up as their favourite characters (with many young teenagers dressed rather inappropriately) and going to anime conventions and it was astonishing by how many people had become obsessed with it all. From what I've heard the storylines are quite confusing and there is some very disturbing sexual content.

Why do you think it has suddenly become so popular? It's always been about but when did it begin to get recognised on a larger scale?

Dbz set the trend back in the day and Naruto made it appeal to other people. I love my anime, hoping that more awesome anime comes out and when I start universities this year. The first thing that I am going to do is join the anime society like a boss.

There are interesting variety, like different genre. Ranging from battles, drama, thriller to slice of life. There is something for everybody. Watch Death Note. Its a very good thriller anime that will make you excitied. Good luck.

Edited: Anime became popular because of wider attraction to mainsteam auidences. Just like videogames, its was just bound to happen. Yes, storyline can be confusing but that depends on what you watch and sexual content can be found but thats like any entertainment meduim like games and films. Its just natural that people have different taste in what they enjoy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
My ex girlfriend was into all that stuff and had an obsession with japanese culture.

I learnt that people that like it are sort of similar to the type that play video games all day, they have to find a way of escaping reality, believing in a fantasy world and relating their lives to this fantasy.

Also, I found her and all her friends extremely immature, to the point where it was quite scary how immature they really were.

No offence but they're freaks.
Original post by rj1990
My ex girlfriend was into all that stuff and had an obsession with japanese culture.

I learnt that people that like it are sort of similar to the type that play video games all day, they have to find a way of escaping reality, believing in a fantasy world and relating their lives to this fantasy.

Also, I found her and all her friends extremely immature, to the point where it was quite scary how immature they really were.

A lot of these people are like a new breed of emo kids. They think having a Pikachu backpack and using phrases such as "omfg it's so kawaii!! xD xD ^_^" makes them honorary Japanese people. God, some of them are so annoying.
Reply 4
Are you 17 by any chance? I would have said it was declining, when of course it's just my own interest that's declined.

Subsequent to the anime boom in Japan in the 1980s, fansub distribution on VHS tapes never became commercially viable, however it became feasible on a non-profit basis in the early 1990s. The Internet, and then torrents, helped to make fansubs astronomically more available as time went on. Recently we have seen a greater recognition of the potential market for subtitles by the faceless people who license this stuff, resulting in more popular titles being free to stream in high quality.

Distribution channels are therefore coming close to supplying the demand that exists. I suspect this corporatisation of output is likely to kill its popularity in the medium term since subbing very much sustained online anime communities. This is a very recent development, it's only three years ago I was scouring the corners of the net for .srt files and having to recalibrate the subtitle timings myself half the time.
Some people can be annoying with the anime tread but apart from that, its enjoyable just like videogames. Some people do beg it though, but you can ignore them so watever.
(I realised later that this was programmes similar to pokemon)
there is also some very disturbing sexual content.

lol at the generic opinion of anime

There are lot's of anime for mature audiences; they're just not as popular.
http://www.mania.com/10-underrated-anime-series_article_116958.html
Reply 7
Some of the greatest stories I have ever read/watched ever!
No limitations due to it being an animation.
Internet allows people to pirate it easily, so increases how much people can watch. Even now I can barely by any anime DVDs so everything I watch is online.
Also Fansubs.
Reply 8
Original post by Four Queue
A lot of these people are like a new breed of emo kids. They think having a Pikachu backpack and using phrases such as "omfg it's so kawaii!! xD xD ^_^" makes them honorary Japanese people. God, some of them are so annoying.

I know what you mean, I know many people who behave that way online and in person. I cannot begin to count how many times I have heard the kawaii phrases. I knew this one girl who was so obesessed with Japanese culture that she made her parents drive her 50 miles there and back each week just for the purpose of her buying Japanese food from a proper Japanese store and constantly insisted that she was japanese because some far out relation was apparantly half Japanese. This girl actually was an emo before. Honestly come to think of it most people I know who are obsessed with the whole thing used to be emo.

Of course these are just local people. It is probably a different story concerning the rest of the world.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Rarrgh
Some of the greatest stories I have ever read/watched ever!
No limitations due to it being an animation.

Totally agree with this, when I started watching it I thought it better than real TV shows because it takes away the limitations from acting. When I saw Death Note I thought it was the most awesome show ever, and I still recommend it to anyone, even though most of my mates have the same generic opinion of anime as people on this thread.

Watch Death Note, then tell me anime is rubbish and for losers.
Original post by Eloades11
Totally agree with this, when I started watching it I thought it better than real TV shows because it takes away the limitations from acting. When I saw Death Note I thought it was the most awesome show ever, and I still recommend it to anyone, even though most of my mates have the same generic opinion of anime as people on this thread.

Upon reading the plot summary I would be inclined give this film a miss. Honestly it sounds dark, dreary and depressing. Watching any film about a person who finds a book that when you write someones name in it they die and having the main character die at the end is enough to unsettle anyone. Even the title is off putting. I'm sorry but I don't seem to share your taste in film, be it in anime or anything else.
Reply 11

To be honest, I don't get the "Death Note" craze, not when things like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" exist and are by far the better stories, but that is just me.

Animé has been popular in the west since about the 90s; although one could argue "Thundercats" is an animé. Shows like "DBZ" and "Sailormoon" and "Pokémon" introduced kids to it. Then stations like Fox Kids/Jetix and Cartoon Network brought out even more, such as "Gundam wing", "Digimon", "Tenchi Muyo" and others, which only increased the interest. Around the same time the Sci-fi Channel, as it was known then, started airing the more adult animé movies like "Appleseed" and "Akira". It was in the late 90s and early 2000s when manga became big though.

I love manga and animé. Beautiful artwork and wonderful stories. What more could you ask for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by rj1990

To an extent I agree. Those who watch anime tend to be social rejects.

The only anime I've watched is Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Captors and to be honest I never considered them as anything other than just cartoons.

The only anime I would watch again is Digimon Adventures, so much nostalgia
I'm sorry but I don't seem to share your taste in film, be it in anime or anything else.

So then what's the point of this thread?

To label anime based on the behavior and taste of the younger fanbase, all the while imagining yourself to be superior to everyone here?
Reply 14
Original post by Miracle Day
To an extent I agree. Those who watch anime tend to be social rejects.

The only anime I've watched is Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Card Captors and to be honest I never considered them as anything other than just cartoons.

The only anime I would watch again is Digimon Adventures, so much nostalgia

Those... are anime for children.
Original post by eterna

Yes.. and I watched them when I was a child.
Reply 16

Started with Death Note, now watched around 200 different anime series, caught up with all the major one's and got around 50 on the to watch list.
Death Note is a great break in anime, but having watched so many, I can certainly say they are some really amazing anime's which are on par if not better than Death Note.
Reply 17
Original post by eterna

Card Captors isn't for children it's amazing!! :biggrin: Pokemon sucks ass, and the rest are pretty shoddy but I would agree all but card captors are for kids.
Reply 18
Original post by Hylean
To be honest, I don't get the "Death Note" craze, not when things like "Neon Genesis Evangelion" exist and are by far the better stories, but that is just me.

"Death Note" is much more known hence why there is a craze for it, plus it is usually a break in anime for most people.

Not only that but due to the story anyone can like it. It's a modern setting and has no real genre apart from thriller really. Which means it can appeal to a wider audience

"NGE" however is an older anime so some will be put off by animation and aspect ratio, and it seems that it would also be another mech anime. And as an avid watcher of anime, Mech really isn't my thing, so even though it probably has an amazing story. It's something that people will discover and go into after being broken into anime.
Reply 19
Original post by Miracle Day
Yes.. and I watched them when I was a child.

But you're using them as the basis for your impression of anime, when most anime fans would laugh at you if you said you watched those.

To the rest of the thread, it's extremely ignorant of you to disparage something you know nothing about. The majority of the best and most popular anime doesn't contain disturbing or sexual content, nor are all fans the terrifying die-hards you spot once in a while. The story lines can actually be engaging and interesting, with well-developed plots and characters that couldn't be further from the generic "cartoon" term under which the likes of Spongebob and Pokemon are lumped. Most of the fans are regular, well-adjusted individuals who just enjoy it for what it is without going mad over it. Just going off the 15 year olds who do nothing but watch and talk obsessively over it is like judging all of Sherlock's fans by the creepy teen girl fanbase that write Sherlock and John smut fanfiction.

My family - who are certainly not into anything even remotely Japan or animation related, let alone anime, or even foreign films in general - absolutely love Studio Ghibli's work and thought the Death Note films were great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending