The Student Room Group

African Representative to the UN Security Council

The African Union welcomes the inclusion of India in the Security Council. However, the African Union strongly advocates for a UN Security Council that is globally representative. To this end, we request that the UN urgently reviews its membership of the Security Council, and take steps to ensure that every continent is represented, and has a permanent seat. This will ensure fairness and equality which the UN is obliged to be a leader and promoter of, particularly in matters of international importance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OOC: The problem here is that there are 2 elected until they quit, no term limit. I have studied RL and there is a whole debate on which states should get Seats etc. I agree there should be representation but there are problems like which States? I think there should be term limits of 6 months or 12 months. There should be a debate on the issue of MUNSC representation.

My personal view is that there should be an EU Seat and a Seat for an African state. My advice as your mentor/buddy is to persuade numerous African nations to run in elections
(edited 11 years ago)
Once the charter is sorted out in the next few weeks, I'll be running elections for non-permanent SC members.
Reply 3
Thanks for sharing your views on this issue.

Failing a system of fixed term rotation, I would like to see a system whereby international organisations like the EU and the African Union can represent respective blocs in the Security Council with veto powers to ensure a more balanced decisions on issues of global importance.

This should enable smaller states to feel that their views are taken into considerations, and are not solely dictated to by the 'big six'. Perception is also crucial to this debate.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Birchington
Once the charter is sorted out in the next few weeks, I'll be running elections for non-permanent SC members.

Sounds encouraging, but is this a consensus view on this issue? Or is there an opportunity to advocate an alternative option which member states could debate upon?
Reply 5
Original post by Morgsie
OOC: The problem here is that there are 2 elected until they quit, no term limit. I have studied RL and there is a whole debate on which states should get Seats etc. I agree there should be representation but there are problems like which States? I think there should be term limits of 6 months or 12 months. There should be a debate on the issue of MUNSC representation.

My personal view is that there should be an EU Seat and a Seat for an African state. My advice as your mentor/buddy is to persuade numerous African nations to run in elections

Failing a system of fixed term rotation, I would like to see a system whereby international organisations like the EU and the African Union can represent respective blocs in the Security Council with veto powers to ensure a more balanced decisions on issues of global importance.

This should enable smaller states to feel that their views are taken into considerations, and are not solely dictated to by the 'big six'. Perception is also crucial to this debate.
Reply 6
Can any of the African states really be trusted on the sc though? Whilst we're all for equality fairness blah blah blah their track records are appalling!
Reply 7
Original post by cl_steele
Can any of the African states really be trusted on the sc though? Whilst we're all for equality fairness blah blah blah their track records are appalling!

Track record in what? I don't recall any of them being a permanent member of the SC. Anyway, can you imagine a world where people are told that they cannot vote to elect their government because their 'track record' is appalling, their decision making is poor, they vote for the wrong party, they are alcoholics, suffering from depression, etc.

That is a parallel to your line of reasoning. The point is that all UN members should have equal representation and opportunities. There's always an argument that can be advanced to demonstrate why any country should not be allowed anywhere near the security council. But one must remember that each member has a veto power.

Finally, the African Union is a representative of African States, and as regional representative has good track record in dealing with global issues like combating terrorism via ECOWAS and France in Mali, securing peaceful resolution in Sudan, and peace-keeping in Libraria.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dj_macky

Although we agree that there needs to be an African state in the SC, we disagree about having the EU in there. There are already 2 EU states with permanent seats, and those states have an obligation to consider the EU's prospective in all international relations. Adding the EU as a whole would just add more Western states to the SC, without any real need for it.
Reply 9
Original post by zaliack
Although we agree that there needs to be an African state in the SC, we disagree about having the EU in there. There are already 2 EU states with permanent seats, and those states have an obligation to consider the EU's prospective in all international relations. Adding the EU as a whole would just add more Western states to the SC, without any real need for it.

I believe most member states would agree with your view on this issue. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would heavily encourage all African representatives (as well as everyone else!) to run for a non-permanent Security Council seat in the elections to be held shortly.
I would heavily encourage all African representatives (as well as everyone else!) to run for a non-permanent Security Council seat in the elections to be held shortly.

Just out of interest who are the current non permanent members of the security council?
Original post by Superunknown17
Just out of interest who are the current non permanent members of the security council?
I'm not sure, there have been irregular elections in the past but currently there's no non-permanent members. I introduced the idea of regular elections as the SC is a bit dormant right now.
I'm not sure, there have been irregular elections in the past but currently there's no non-permanent members. I introduced the idea of regular elections as the SC is a bit dormant right now.

Ohh I see, fair enough. Yeah I think it's a great idea, hope some people will take part.
Reply 14
OOC: only just noticed this now, not quite sure what to make of it.
Original post by Superunknown17
Ohh I see, fair enough. Yeah I think it's a great idea, hope some people will take part.

so do I, I guess we could start something then have elections for non-permanent members?
Original post by jakemittle
so do I, I guess we could start something then have elections for non-permanent members?

Yeah, Birchington mentioned it so I guess if there's enough interest then elections will be held with maifestos and everything, might boost activity as well, though I think that the Security Council needs to play a greater role otherwise there's no incentive to join it really :tongue:
Reply 17

Sounds good. Would be interesting to see if our African brothers could agree on one or two candidates to contest these elections for the bloc.
I agree that it would bolster democratic representation and proportionality. I advocate an African seat with veto powers. It should be put to a vote in the MUNSC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think our term may be over, but Tunisia was on the SC as a non-perm!
As has been suggested maybe we should have a seat permanently held by an african nation, but with regular elections to choose who holds it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending