The Student Room Group

Sick of lad culture

Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse but this is really getting to me and I need to rant.
I don't understand why lad culture defines manhood by how much beer you can knock back. You honestly get homophobic abuse for ordering a half from some people and God forbid you get a coke.
This isn't me attacking people for drinking. Although I think binge drinking is a massive problem in the UK and lad culture is partly responsible for it, I enjoy a couple of pints now and then and it's not like I've never been off my face.
But this is me attacking people who judge you for not drinking or look down on you for what/how much you're drinking. It's a whole different kettle of fish if someone chooses not to take part for their own reasons and they're pressured into doing something against their will.

And I'm not even going to start on the hideous misogyny which has been discussed many times before.

Why are even some of my friends like this? Is it just I can't take a joke, I need to grow some balls or something? Because that's what it's being made out to be and I half believe them.
I can't believe people still have this playground mentality as adults.

What kind of stupid logic and bigotry says if you're not a big drinker you're either gay or a woman? And are you saying that being either gay or a woman makes you less than the macho man who regularly downs 10 pints? What the hell are they proving? So so stupid.
How do we escape these basic gender stereotypes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey Riku, we're gonna need you to go ahead and derustle those jimmies, it aint that serious...
Reply 2
Original post by Mangaka
Hey Riku, we're gonna need you to go ahead and derustle those jimmies, it aint that serious...

Except for the fact that every male aged between 16 and 30 is stereotyped as being 'just another lad' now.
ANGRYLad.
Reply 4
This wally sums up the dude culture

Reply 5
Original post by Mangaka

I think one of the best ways to make something acceptable is to trivialise it. It may be a joke to you and lots of other guys, but I also think many guys who make lots of sexist/homophobic comments (the sort you see on truelad.com or wherever else) genuinely have that mindset now...and trivialising the issue simply encourages it.

It's not even actually funny/witty either.

Spoiler

what self respecting human being orders a half pint.

The two worst type of people

1) those who order a half pint
2) those that defend the half pint.
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
I think one of the best ways to make something acceptable is to trivialise it. It may be a joke to you and lots of other guys, but I also think many guys who make lots of sexist/homophobic comments (the sort you see on truelad.com or wherever else) genuinely have that mindset now...and trivialising the issue simply encourages it.

It's not even actually funny/witty either.

Spoiler

Couldn't have put it better! I think the jokes made at the pub too often extend outside into the real world of friendship, in which case it's not a joke anymore. It's bullying.
Reply 8
Original post by ihatebrownbread
ANGRYLad.

Fail.

Should be angryLAD
Reply 9
One of my favourite things to say when I'm drunk and surrounded by other drunk guys -

"Let's be completely honest guys, alcopops do taste nicer than beer."

The subsequent cognitive dissonance between their drunken desire to be truthful/straight-forward and the social pressure to give the "manly" answer is always amusing to watch.
"LAD culture" has always been there and always will. The only reason it is getting as much negative attention is because the pub culture has been given a new term. This, combined with the fact that most youngsters are now going to university, means that the lad culture is broadening its horizons to our universities and then to the job sectors that typically employ students.

The ability to drink heavily, pull lots of girls and be as funny as can be as been prevalent in British society for decades. You are only noticing it more now because of the things listed above and the use of the internet.
Reply 11
Tbf there's nothing masculine/manly about drinking beer and talking about football. I think it's supposed to be funny because they know this, but say so anyway.

Although you get quite alot of try hard ejits who try too hard, take it too seriously and take the jokes too far. Probably because they drank too much.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Riku

Why are even some of my friends like this? Is it just I can't take a joke, I need to grow some balls or something? Because that's what it's being made out to be and I half believe them.

You are partially right. You need to grow some balls, stand up for yourself and show that you are happy to order a half pint if that is what you want.

Show them they are a pack of feckless halfwits since by the end of the night you will be sober and they'll be the ones needing carried home.
Reply 13
Original post by Riku
Sorry if I'm flogging a dead horse but this is really getting to me and I need to rant.
I don't understand why lad culture defines manhood by how much beer you can knock back. You honestly get homophobic abuse for ordering a half from some people and God forbid you get a coke.
This isn't me attacking people for drinking. Although I think binge drinking is a massive problem in the UK and lad culture is partly responsible for it, I enjoy a couple of pints now and then and it's not like I've never been off my face.
But this is me attacking people who judge you for not drinking or look down on you for what/how much you're drinking. It's a whole different kettle of fish if someone chooses not to take part for their own reasons and they're pressured into doing something against their will.

And I'm not even going to start on the hideous misogyny which has been discussed many times before.

I can't believe people still have this playground mentality as adults.

What kind of stupid logic and bigotry says if you're not a big drinker you're either gay or a woman? And are you saying that being either gay or a woman makes you less than the macho man who regularly downs 10 pints? What the hell are they proving? So so stupid.
How do we escape these basic gender stereotypes?

In fairness you don't really have any right to drink a half pint, I'm not actually sure why pubs serve them; if you don't want a pint you buy a bottle of beer or a whiskey.

The logic that drinking excessively is masculine, therefore a void of a masculine behaviour makes you more womanly

Posted from TSR Mobile
#LADbanter
Original post by Redolent
One of my favourite things to say when I'm drunk and surrounded by other drunk guys -

"Let's be completely honest guys, alcopops do taste nicer than beer."

The subsequent cognitive dissonance between their drunken desire to be truthful/straight-forward and the social pressure to give the "manly" answer is always amusing to watch.

Of course they are, that's why when you make it out you strawpedo alcopops and leave the beer at pre-drinks!
Reply 16
You need new friends
Reply 17
Maybe you should consider changing friendship groups - I doubt you'll change them. I just know I wouldn't be able to stand constantly being around 'the banter'.
This fellow LAD needs the #TheLADBible
I actually wrote a status on Facebook about this yesterday.. "How long before TrueLad realise that 'lad' culture is becoming massively unpopular and retire their domain? Used to be some decent banter a while back, until chavs, pikeys, and general *******s tried to jump on the bandwagon, using 'being a lad' as an excuse for disgraceful behaviour."

If you look on Facebook they post a lot of statuses which are largely ignored. TrueLad seem to be struggling for ideas of how to grow now. They post statuses on Facebook with 'lad' stories but they're trying too hard to be noticed, the stories are often absolutely terrible. When it started, a 'lad' was a bit of a cheeky chappy with a few interesting stories and a sense of humour. Then other people started intentionally trying to create their own stories by doing stupid things and brandishing it with the word 'lad'. I used to enjoy the site but it's deviated so far from its original identity that it's lost all its appeal. I think a lot of people feel the same and it won't be too long before it disappears. I predict the demise of TrueLad by the end of 2014, if not much sooner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending