The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's a dictator, hundreds of thousands have died under him, he is using chemical weapons and is an absolute lunatic - definitely the best leader.

They need to take the guy out already
Reply 2
Original post by Bluffroom
He's a dictator, hundreds of thousands have died under him, he is using chemical weapons and is an absolute lunatic - definitely the best leader.

THIS. Anyone thinking he's a good man must be deluded.

Which, of course, doesn't go to say all or even any of the 'rebels' are just pure good people.
Reply 3
First of all, its not as simple as some here may think...

Its not a conflict, its a genocide been committed in syria, and "some" still call it conflict or civil war. When one side is been slaughtered and wiped out from existence you call that conflict?

Thus syria is complex matter and there are many misconceptions about the war in syria.
I think its digusting in this day and age we allow such a thing to happen and blind ourselves from the truth. Its not like a day or 2 of killing, its been going on for 2 years now and EVERYDAY there are hundereds that die in a horrific way, one man was buried alive infornt of his daughter because he didnt say Bashar was god! I could go on and on about the ways they torture peole in syria but I dont see the point. You have to see it yourself.

The only difference here is that the whole world is in silence no matter what we try to tell ourselves. When such crimes happen normally countries intervene in some way or send charities, the red cross doesnt even exist in syria, there is no medical aid (national) which what happens in war zones you send charities which are allowed to enter the country under national law. However, in syria the people are left to die a painful death, young or old. Its a disaster! It just goes to show how evil and twisted some arab leaders are. They are happy as long as they stay in power, whether for 40 years or some 50 years they will do anything to stay in power.

Bashar al-assad stated earlier on when the revolution started: He is prepared to kill the 23 million people if he has to...if thats what it takes to stay in power, he shall do it"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ama2007
When one side is been slaughtered and wiped out from existence you call that conflict?

Oh, so that's why the rebels attacked Damascus with rockets and mortars yesterday like never before? Because 'one side is being wiped out'? Certainly doesn't look like it. Looks much more like a civil war.

Don't fall for that cheesy bull****, this IS more complicated than you think and it's not just the poor defenceless population against a cruel dictator.
Reply 5
Put yourself in the civillians shoes and then state your opinion.
This world is so blind.

For instance, i have friends who are Syrian, who have family in syria, who are dead, lost and in hiding and have no clue about where they are. How would you feel if you were in this position where you can't do anything about it whilst the rest of world, are silent, slowly watching this genocide occur.

We learn in school, that we should learn from Hitlers actions and prevent them from occuring in the future. I guess this has happend. Bashar is equivelent to Hitler, this is a genocide.
Reply 6
Original post by Elcano
Oh, so that's why the rebels attacked Damascus with rockets and mortars yesterday like never before? Because 'one side is being wiped out'? Certainly doesn't look like it. Looks much more like a civil war.

Don't fall for that cheesy bull****, this IS more complicated than you think and it's not just the poor defenceless population against a cruel dictator.

I think i did state that it was a commplicated issue thus you will see load of rubbish been said here as some think they know about it when they dont, I myself is well informed about this topic and have many friend journalist who have actually lost their life due to this disaster, bashar wants people to beleive its civil war because that way he has an excuse to kill his own peopple, use weapons which have never been used before,, cluster bombs, phophorus gas all sorts, anyway as I said there will be people on here that havent the sllightest idea about syria, they read one paper, or even listen to the friend or whatever rubbish and think they know evrything about the syrians.

Thus if you are not well informed and make things up as you go along...you will sound silly...yeah

for the sake of other users I will look at your argument:
How many civilans killed so far (exculding FSA) if you have done your homework you wil find its around 100,000 or so
How many made refugees in their own homeland: 5million
How many left their land because they didnt have a place to stry: 1million in surrounding countries
How many missing?
How many imprisoned that we dont even know?
How many raped?

How many killed from the regime: few hundreds,

Its no longer a secret most people now know its not a civil war...

This is a repeat of the bosnian war!

Wipe out a specific sector of people in syria...look closely at who is dying and why?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Ama2007
This is a repeat of the bosnian war!

Wipe out a specific sector of people in syria...look closely at who is dying and why?

And thus we can conclude that you haven't the foggiest what you are talking about.
If our government actually cared about Syrians as people it would stop trying to escalate the violence, and stop arming the militias fighting him creating this civil war. The war against Assad is war by proxy against the Iranian regime, they waste their money supporting him, he goes and Iran is primed and ready to be bombed.
Reply 9
I am 100% with Bashar Al-Assad, the true leader of the Syrian Arab Republic and not those FSA scums.
Syria was so beautiful when I used to visit it, and look at it now.
Bashar Al-Assad is loved by his people and had done very well with Syria´s limited natural resources, making a beautiful country. If the people did not love him he wouldn´t still be the leader today.
The so-called "FSA" is a terrorist organisation predominantly composed of radical islamists from foreign arab countries, funded by the USA and Israel and their "puppet-states" Qatar, Turkey and Saudi Arabia.

You guys should check out liveleak once in a while to see what the FSA scums are doing to the syrian people.

May God help the Syrian people and long live its leader Bashar Al-Assad!
Reply 10
People familiar with arab culture would most certainly agree that in the middle east only power is respected. Consider Egypt as an example - Mubarak managed to hold on to power for decades through violence and oppression which eventually resulted in his downfall. Now a new leader is in place, but it appears that Egypt just traded one evil master for another, Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood are already en route to imposing draconian Islamic laws that are widely rejected in the country and a new wave civil unrest is already brewing. Moreover, people familiar with Egypt noted increasing corruption among the police and government officials which now even target tourists, forcing them to pay bribes for offences that never took place - a thing unheard of under Mubarak.
The truth is, these people will always need to have an oppressive leader dominating them because power, oppression and violence are the only things that they respect and it is in the interests of the West to plant dictators that would be sympathetic to it.
Reply 11
Original post by CEKTOP
People familiar with arab culture would most certainly agree that in the middle east only power is respected. Consider Egypt as an example - Mubarak managed to hold on to power for decades through violence and oppression which eventually resulted in his downfall. Now a new leader is in place, but it appears that Egypt just traded one evil master for another, Morsi and his Muslim Brotherhood are already en route to imposing draconian Islamic laws that are widely rejected in the country and a new wave civil unrest is already brewing. Moreover, people familiar with Egypt noted increasing corruption among the police and government officials which now even target tourists, forcing them to pay bribes for offences that never took place - a thing unheard of under Mubarak.
The truth is, these people will always need to have an oppressive leader dominating them because power, oppression and violence are the only things that they respect and it is in the interests of the West to plant dictators that would be sympathetic to it.

I agree with you regarding the arab leaders wanting power and thats how they gain respect..abs true. However, Morsi is not one bit like Mubarak who ruled for years and years with corruption that no one knew about until now. Any revolution when it starts has its problems, he has been in power for how many years now? 1 or 2 years?...you expect unrest because for decades the egyptian have been used to oppression as you said so now they are not used to the freedom given by Morsi, since when were people allowed to express their views freely without gettinh shot? Certain TV channels have been paid a 24 million ruba so they can ruin the reputation of the new regime. Its normal we always expect it at the beggining it may take years to settle down. But its nothing like whats happening in syria, no comparision.

Anyway this topic is about syria so lets not get side tracked here...
The rebels in Libya were animals. The outside world should be helping Assad defeat these Islamic extremists.
Reply 13
I'm not saying that bashar all Assad is a saint and it is true that his regime is corrupt and they do have a lot of blood on their hands. However he is the best person for Syria now until the opposition find a strong ruler who can control all the factions in Syria. If all the people really hated Assad then he would have been gone time ago like Mubarak. He still has the support of at least half the country who don't want Syria to become another iraq
I'm no fan of Assad but I also don't want our government to arm Al Qaeda splinter groups like Al Nusra. The championing of the rebels cause by our government and media is shocking, people need to realise conflicts rarely if ever have good and bad sides. It comes down to vested interests, in this case our government has decided that ousting Assad and therefore isolating Iran is important enough to warrant the arming of extremists. Personally I'm not too sure, the thought of our tax money paying for weapons which could potentially be used against British forces in the future is a step too far for me. Anybody who thinks Syria is a conflict based on humanity is very naive.
Reply 15
Original post by yg95
I'm not saying that bashar all Assad is a saint and it is true that his regime is corrupt and they do have a lot of blood on their hands. However he is the best person for Syria now until the opposition find a strong ruler who can control all the factions in Syria. If all the people really hated Assad then he would have been gone time ago like Mubarak. He still has the support of at least half the country who don't want Syria to become another iraq

How can th best person to rule a country be a mass killer? Its like saying Hitler was the best person to rule germany and he was right to kill the jews because they deserved it? is that it? I dont think so.

Anyway he is still here because of power not because of support, 99% of his people want him gone the other 1% is his mafia which he created 40 years ago when his father ruled the country by killing the previous president. Bashar will not stand a chance and would have been gone by now if the world had decided to help the syrians. The libyans had help from the NATO and we all know without their military expertise and information they (the rebels) would have never found Gaddafi.

Anyone who says a mass killer is the best person to rule syria is either deluded and has no idea about whats happeing or just inhumane.

If you have done your homework about syria you would have known the syrian regime is nothing like the libyan or the egyptian. Its a strong sectarian lead regime who have strict rules for all the members. One is that you have to be an alwee (which i doubt you have heard of)...Its has been formed more than 40 years ago so if you think about it...its going to take sometime to remove this stain.

In egypt the army knew whats right and wrong, they were not chosen purely on their religion and political view thus when they saw the truth and the revolution, most of them deflected really early on. Where as the syrian regime is more like a mafia...if you are fimilar with syrian regime then you would know...
Original post by Ama2007
How can th best person to rule a country be a mass killer? Its like saying Hitler was the best person to rule germany and he was right to kill the jews because they deserved it? is that it? I dont think so.

Anyway he is still here because of power not because of support, 99% of his people want him gone the other 1% is his mafia which he created 40 years ago when his father ruled the country by killing the previous president. Bashar will not stand a chance and would have been gone by now if the world had decided to help the syrians. The libyans had help from the NATO and we all know without their military expertise and information they (the rebels) would have never found Gaddafi.

Anyone who says a mass killer is the best person to rule syria is either deluded and has no idea about whats happeing or just inhumane.

If you have done your homework about syria you would have known the syrian regime is nothing like the libyan or the egyptian. Its a strong sectarian lead regime who have strict rules for all the members. One is that you have to be an alwee (which i doubt you have heard of)...Its has been formed more than 40 years ago so if you think about it...its going to take sometime to remove this stain.

In egypt the army knew whats right and wrong, they were not chosen purely on their religion and political view thus when they saw the truth and the revolution, most of them deflected really early on. Where as the syrian regime is more like a mafia...if you are fimilar with syrian regime then you would know...

1. 99% of Syrians want Assad out? How could you possibly know that? The only polls done indicate that the majority of Syrians (55%) prefer the government over the opposition.

2. This is not a case of Syrian civilians fighting against an oppressive government. This is a case of various militias many of them with ideologies just as bad as Assad's fighting against a government. The largest fighting group opposing Assad is Al Nusra they were formed by Al Qaeda leaders in Iraq and are mostly made up of foreign Jihadists not Syrian citizens.

This is not a revolution by the Syrian people it is a war between an oppressive government and a group of terrorists, there is no just cause in this conflict. If Assad is ousted the government that takes over will be just as bad if not worse. It reveals a lot about our intentions towards Iran though when we're willing to risk creating a state which, at best will be formed on extremism and at worst will be directly influenced by Al Qaeda. All just to nullify their only real ally.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by QuentinMids
The rebels in Libya were animals. The outside world should be helping Assad defeat these Islamic extremists.

You, Sir, just called my best friend an animal. A duel shall settle this. I challenge you to a fight.
Reply 18
Assad isn't a nice man. The FSA isn't a nice group.

Which ever comes out of this conflict in power will be as bad as the other. It's a sad situation, but it's the truth.
Reply 19
Original post by Bluffroom

They need to take the guy out already

But the majority of the Syrian people are supporters of Assad, its not just for the west to decide who should govern far flung countries. Also most sources say the chemical weapons attacks were done by the rebels against Syrian soldiers.

Latest

Trending

Trending