The Student Room Group

What social class do you consider yourself to be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehFrance
Yes? I would like to bash the poor but I have more important things to bash, like the Eurocrats, Russian language, Hollande etc... poor aren't on my list of bash :tongue:

Disappointing show there old bean...
The lowest class possible I guess. Neither of my parents can work, Dad's disabled so Mom is full time carer. Living on benefits. That said, we've been brought up with a solid work ethic, could all read and write before we started primary school, all determined to work hard in the future, all very well behaved and we definitely don't hold the people who appear on Jeremy Kyle as role models! :h: I'm the first in my immediate family to go to university (aunts, uncles and cousins have gone but parents haven't, nor have grandparents, and I'm the oldest sibling).
Upper class.

Sources: My new clothing line, 3 bedroom house in Richmond and my bank account details.

I guess being prettier than 99% of all women in Britain has its perks when you're making a 6 figure sum a year just for modelling clothes. xoxoxoxoxo
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by aptkoolaid
Upper class.

Sources: My new clothing line, 3 bedroom house in Richmond and my bank account details.

I guess being prettier than 99% of all women in Britain has its perks when you're making a 3 figure sum just for modelling clothes. xoxoxoxoxo

Being rich doesn't make you Upper Class :tongue:. Upper Class is like the only one with a fixed definition: you need to either be royalty, or aristocracy.
Original post by Qwertish
Being rich doesn't make you Upper Class :tongue:. Upper Class is like the only one with a fixed definition: you need to either be royalty, or aristocracy.

Hehe, I never said I wasn't, did I? ;D
Hehe, I never said I wasn't, did I? ;D

:tongue: I suppose not. So, are you Lady aptkoolaid? Or maybe Baroness? :rolleyes:
Reply 406
Well I was brought up in Newham/ Stratford however my fathers business became very successful and we moved to the suburbs. So I would say we went from low working class to Middle class, for example on average my dad makes £2000 in every branch each day (more around holidays, we made about 100,000 one night) we have 5 branches so every day we make about £10,000. So for a year that is £3,650,000 then take away wages, input costs and taxes we are probably left with 1.5 million, my Dad donates about 1/2 to charity, the rest is spent on school fees, mortgages, taxes, and buying property which we get rent back which is then spent to develop property. We are currently setting up an orphanage in a LEDC with land that we have bought so I would say we are very well off. I aspire to become an architect and plan to study at an elitist school such as UCL/ Bath/ Cam. I may seem spoilt but my parents do not let us have "luxuries" like my phone is a HTC Wildfire S which is free on a£10 contract and no I do not wear designer clothes and go on holiday every week as a matter of fact I last went on holiday May 2012 to Paris and I have only visited 2 continents. (Both being my continents where I am from- Europe and Asia)...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 407
Working-class hero.
Reply 408
Upper class.

I guess being prettier than 99% of all women in Britain has its perks when you're making a 6 figure sum a year just for modelling clothes. xoxoxoxoxo

Now tell me why would a model with a 6 figure salary be on such a thing as the student room?

Also why brag about a 3 bedroom house, mine is 6 bedrooms but then I also have the numerous apartments, houses, acres of land, the hotel and church to live in if I get tired of London's ways.
Reply 409
Upper middle. My parents have 3 houses and my two siblings have their own apartments. We each have our own car and the whole family has been through higher education for degrees such as medicine, law, accountancy. However, my dad came from a working class background. He was brought up in a large family and was the only one to go into higher education. He now has 7 degrees under his belt but still thinks like a working class man and prefers to have nice cars but not as ostentatious and the rest of the family and never buys expensive clothing etc. He would be happy even if he didn't have money but is comforted by the fact that his children can have a head start in life and not worry about money. My siblings and I always have had very nice things and the
Bank of dad is always open but we aren't spoilt brats as we appreciate where our dad came from and how hard he has worked to become successful! Each of us in turn are now either working in highly paid jobs or in higher education (well I'm about to start a law degree in sept).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Qwertish

Really? How about the Bransons then. Would you say they are middle class? :confused:
Original post by Lakesx
Now tell me why would a model with a 6 figure salary be on such a thing as the student room?

Also why brag about a 3 bedroom house, mine is 6 bedrooms but then I also have the numerous apartments, houses, acres of land, the hotel and church to live in if I get tired of London's ways.

You can live in a church? Do you sleep in the Vestry?
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Really? How about the Bransons then. Would you say they are middle class? :confused:

As I said before they are upper-middle class/elite/oligarchy (pick one but they are not upper class under this countries social structure, they are most certainly nouveau riche though), it does appear it is you that does not know classes as well as you think.
Original post by tehFrance
As I said before they are upper-middle class/elite/oligarchy (pick one but they are not upper class under this countries social structure, they are most certainly nouveau riche though), it does appear it is you that does not know classes as well as you think.

If you think "oligarchy" is roughly the same as "upper middle class" or in any way remotely similar, then it isn't me who has the problem with understanding social structures in Britain.

Also Branson is not exactly "nouveau", he went to Stowe and his parents were of the upper middling sort.

It's plain as a pikestaff that the upper class is wider than just the titled nobility and royalty, but some people struggle with the concept because we are all brought up with a particular 'Downton Abbey' view of the Uppers.
People keep saying on this thread that "Wikipedia says the upper class is the nobility". This is incorrect. Here is the relevant passage from Wikipedia. Note the second sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_class

In the United Kingdom, the "upper class" traditionally comprised the aristocracy of "noble" families with hereditary titles. The vast majority of aristocratic families originated in the merchant class, and were ennobled between the 14th and 19th century.[2] Since World War II, the term has come to encompass rich and powerful members of the managerial and professional classes as well.[3]
People keep saying on this thread that "Wikipedia says the upper class is the nobility". This is incorrect. Here is the relevant passage from Wikipedia. Note the second sentence.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_class

Well, I edited it and it now speaks truth:

In the United Kingdom, the "upper class" traditionally comprised the aristocracy of "noble" families with hereditary titles. The vast majority of aristocratic families originated in the merchant class, and were ennobled between the 14th and 19th century.[2] Since World War II, the term still primarily refers to the titled aristocracy.

Feel free to appeal to wikipedia, everybody

edit: the relevant part of the article on the class structure of the UK reads:

The British "upper class" is statistically very small and consists of the peerage, gentry, and hereditary landowners. The majority of aristocratic families originated in the merchant class, and were ennobled between the 14th and the late 19th century.[27] Those in possession of a hereditary peerage (but not a life peerage) for example a Dukedom, a Marquessate, an Earldom, a Viscounty or a Barony are typically members of the upper class.
(edited 11 years ago)
Looks like someone's been busy correcting you in Wikipedia already.
A full-blown Wiki-war is upon us, ladies and gentlemen. :catfight:

Yes. The class system has absolutely nothing to do with money. For example, many working class people are significantly better off than middle class families. The Rooneys are working class. They make several million pounds a year.

My mum was born and raised in a small "close knit" village, from a well known and extremely "straight down the middle" class family. She currently lives in the same village - in a council house, on disability benefits, and is an alcoholic. To those "in the know" about the village, though, she will never be anything other than middle class.

Likewise, I myself have started my own distinctly "middle class" family - my job would technically be considered lower-middle but we live in a very working class area, and I know for a fact that a lot of the tradesmen who live around here and work in areas such as construction and other manual labour (working class) make far more money than I do.
Just a suggestion: if there can be this much disagreement over who's above whom, it may be that, anywhere above the middle/ upper middle divide, class distinctions don't mean very much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending