Membrane permeability (Beetroot) 12%
Enzyme concentration 8%
Mitosis (Onion root cell) 38%
Tissue culture 5%
Tensile strength of plant fibres 5%
Mineral deficiencies 5%
Antimicrobial properties of plants11%
Total votes: 74
This thread is for the practical paper for International students. Discuss techniques/practical notes/revision...

Helpful Material

http://www.scribd.com/doc/139390374/As-Biology-Core-Practical-Summary
(Thanks to NilFBosh)

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=212989&d=1367659707
(Thanks to thextractor007)

2013 Jan past papers

http://www.freeexampapers.com/#A%20Level/Biology/Edexcel/2013%20Jan

Tips to answer bibliography questions

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42489623&highlight=
(Thanks to NilFBosh)
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would do you guys reckon will be on this exam?
I really hope it's not Vitamin C
Reply 2
Original post by kevsamuel
Would do you guys reckon will be on this exam?
I really hope it's not Vitamin C

Vitamin C came in Jan 2012, Daphnia in May 2012 and in Jan 2013, tissue culture. These will be less likely to come up in our exam, but that does not rule out the possibility of getting any one of them in May 2013. I think we might be getting one of the Unit 2 practicals...
Reply 3
Original post by Relaxedexams
Vitamin C came in Jan 2012, Daphnia in May 2012 and in Jan 2013, tissue culture. These will be less likely to come up in our exam, but that does not rule out the possibility of getting any one of them in May 2013. I think we might be getting one of the Unit 2 practicals...

Man I'm alright with everything except the one with enzymes and all. So boring. Daphnia and totipotency is perfect

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi
Is the final date for biology unit 3b?
Do u know the date for chemistry unit 3b?
Reply 5
Original post by Zuhairie
Hi
Is the final date for biology unit 3b?
Do u know the date for chemistry unit 3b?

Yes, it is. Chemistry unit 3B is on the 8th or 9th May. You can check the final timetable on the Edexcel website.
Reply 6
Which practical do you guys think will come up for question 1? I'm thinking maybe membrane permeability. And what topic do you expect in question 2?
Reply 7
Which practical do you guys think will come up for question 1? I'm thinking maybe membrane permeability. And what topic do you expect in question 2?
I'd say I'm about 75% sure it'll be observing mitosis. I say this because in total there are 9 practicals and there has been 8 past papers (they have never repeated a practical yet) and the only practical left is observing mitosis - that's not to say not to study the other practicals just in case though :P And I don't have a clue about the topic in question 2 hah
Reply 8
I'd say I'm about 75% sure it'll be observing mitosis. I say this because in total there are 9 practicals and there has been 8 past papers (they have never repeated a practical yet) and the only practical left is observing mitosis - that's not to say not to study the other practicals just in case though :P And I don't have a clue about the topic in question 2 hah

Maybe something on Unit 1 in Q2, like the heart or CVDs. The mitosis practical is about the onion root cells right? That should be ok...:biggrin:
Reply 9
Maybe something on Unit 1 in Q2, like the heart or CVDs. The mitosis practical is about the onion root cells right? That should be ok...:biggrin:

Yerp, it's about the onion root cells. I hope Q2 will be on something in Unit 1! and nothing too difficult..
Reply 11
I think that question 1 is relatively easily than q2. Well not so much easier...I think that they are on par with each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by NilFBosh
I think that question 1 is relatively easily than q2. Well not so much easier...I think that they are on par with each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, Q1 should be relatively easy because it is easier to predict the type of questions asked in Q1. For eg. There will definitely be a graph question, it will definitely be on one of the core practicals and there will definitely be a question regarding the graph.

Q2 is harder to predict because the topic can be anything on unit 1 or 2.

PS: Nice avatar :clap2:
Reply 14
When we're giving a set of results, with or without standard deviation, and have to plot it on a graph, when do you know you have to draw a bar chart or a line graph?
(And would we ever have to do a line of best fit?)
1 more question, which axis does the tempreture go?

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 15
When we're giving a set of results, with or without standard deviation, and have to plot it on a graph, when do you know you have to draw a bar chart or a line graph?

You have to draw a bar chart whenever you have to compare the results. For eg:- on some paper (can't quite remember the year) you had to draw a graph comparing the dry mass of roots and shoots. Comparisons always call for a bar graph.

Line graphs are drawn for almost any other scenario eg:- colour intensity/temperature, volume of Co2/temperature etc.
All line graphs have to be drawn as a line of best fit. (haven't seen any exceptions in the past papers).

Usually, in most (if not all) of the questions, temperature is an independent variable which means it is in the x axis.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Yea, Q1 should be relatively easy because it is easier to predict the type of questions asked in Q1. For eg. There will definitely be a graph question, it will definitely be on one of the core practicals and there will definitely be a question regarding the graph.

Q2 is harder to predict because the topic can be anything on unit 1 or 2.

PS: Nice avatar :clap2:

Thalaivaa!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

Remember the axis variables like this:

What the experimenter decides has to go on the x axis. Like temperature values (the experimenter decides which values to use) the x axis variable is the Independent variable meaning if the x axis variable changes, the y axis variable changes

Y axis variable is the dependent variable. What the experimenter wants to measure goes here.

Hope this helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
You have to draw a bar chart whenever you have to compare the results. For eg:- on some paper (can't quite remember the year) you had to draw a graph comparing the dry mass of roots and shoots. Comparisons always call for a bar graph.

Line graphs are drawn for almost any other scenario eg:- colour intensity/temperature, volume of Co2/temperature etc.
All line graphs have to be drawn as a line of best fit. (haven't seen any exceptions in the past papers).

Usually, in most (if not all) of the questions, temperature is an independent variable which means it is in the x axis.

Okay! Thankyou very much.
however, I was looking through the mark schemes of most of the papers and they accept "line joining points drawn with straight edge" and less of the papers accept the line of best fit..
Reply 19
Okay! Thankyou very much.
however, I was looking through the mark schemes of most of the papers and they accept "line joining points drawn with straight edge" and less of the papers accept the line of best fit..

I just checked all the mark schemes from Jan 2010 and they accept both 'line of best fit' and 'line joining points drawn with straight edge' for all line graphs.
My teacher taught me to draw only a line of best fit though...

A general rule to follow will be:-

If only one or two points are deviating away from a straight line which joins the other points then those should be ignored and a line of best fit should be drawn. Most graphs will have two lines of best fit, one which has an increasing gradient (/ shape) and then a line with a 0 gradient (- shape).

If a lot of points are deviating away from a straight line (eg: out of 6 points a straight line can be drawn using only 2 points) then it is better to draw lines joining each point.

But until now, there has never been a line graph where a line of best fit was incorrect.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending