The Student Room Group

QUESTION- Do you think unis will let a 16 year old live in the halls of residence??

Do you think they will let a sixteen year old live in halls of residence with students who are 18+?
This isn't for right now, its for my future.
I'm about to start A levels, and i'm nervous about when i apply for university, i know at sixteen i'll be allowed to live in my own flat but thats going to be expensive!

I don't want to have to email different universities yet as i think i'd be getting ahead of myself.

Is there any sixteen year olds who are in university now and living in halls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ibeatu
Do you think they will let a sixteen year old live in halls of residence with students who are 18+?
This isn't for right now, its for my future.
I'm about to start A levels, and i'm nervous about when i apply for university, i know at sixteen i'll be allowed to live in my own flat but thats going to be expensive!

I don't want to have to email different universities yet as i think i'd be getting ahead of myself.

Is there any sixteen year olds who are in university now and living in halls?

16 year olds are able to go to university at that age but they must still have the relevant qualifications to do so. GCSEs will not suffice and you will need to have gained your 3 A2 grades or equivalent to be accepted. So although the answer is yes 16 year olds can, the likelihood of it happening is rare!
Reply 2
Original post by gman10
16 year olds are able to go to university at that age but they must still have the relevant qualifications to do so. GCSEs will not suffice and you will need to have gained your 3 A2 grades or equivalent to be accepted. So although the answer is yes 16 year olds can, the likelihood of it happening is rare!

That wasn't quite what I was asking, but thanks. I will have all the relevant qualifications :smile:
Reply 3
Halls are generally more expensive than student housing.
Reply 4
Original post by lascelles
Halls are generally more expensive than student housing.

I've noticed that, but only in a few places. At most universities it's almost equal.
It's also for the safety aspect as well. A halls of residence will have quite a few people living there, which in my opinion is much better than living on my own in a small flat.
Reply 5
Original post by Ibeatu
I've noticed that, but only in a few places. At most universities it's almost equal.
It's also for the safety aspect as well. A halls of residence will have quite a few people living there, which in my opinion is much better than living on my own in a small flat.

Oh yeah, I understand that feeling! I'd want to get to know people. There's always house-shares outside of uni accommodation too. But I'm moving into halls this September, at the age of 23, just to get to meet and get to know like-minded people :smile:
Regardless of accommodation issues you will find that most Unis wont even give you a place at 16 as you are legally still a child.

See : http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/applications/policy/under18/

Take two years off, earn some money, see life a bit. You dont *have* to go to Uni straight after A levels - life isnt a race.
Original post by returnmigrant
Regardless of accommodation issues you will find that most Unis wont even give you a place at 16 as you are legally still a child.

Take two years off, earn some money, see life a bit. You dont *have* to go to Uni straight after A levels - life isnt a race.

Although Unis don't really like to see a big gap between the application and end of a-levels because then people might have gone a bit rusty on the content. However as long as you do something productive and related to the subject in your gap year it is fine.

Although finishing A-levels 2 years early? :eek: OP, What subjects are you taking?
Reply 8
Original post by returnmigrant

It is possible to get into university at sixteen, when the time comes i will apply and if i don't get accepted then i have a whole year to do all that ^

The amount of times i've been told 'life isn't a race' haha! I'm not rushing towards university in a hurry to grow up or anything similar, it is genuinely something i would love to do, and have already researched into under 18s being accepted.
Reply 9
Original post by ThatPerson
Although Unis don't really like to see a big gap between the application and end of a-levels because then people might have gone a bit rusty on the content. However as long as you do something productive and related to the subject in your gap year it is fine.

Although finishing A-levels 2 years early? :eek: OP, What subjects are you taking?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and Psychology at A level :smile:
You already know that you can live in halls at 16 but do you really want to I mean yeah you want a degree i get that I really do but think just for a second you'll be at uni hearing about how great carnage was or how brilliant kaos is etc etc and not being able to experience it until 3rd year when you will be so busy that you probably won't really have much time, no best wait until your 18 so you can have as much fun as everyone else.
Reply 11
Original post by jonathanemptage
You already know that you can live in halls at 16 but do you really want to I mean yeah you want a degree i get that I really do but think just for a second you'll be at uni hearing about how great carnage was or how brilliant kaos is etc etc and not being able to experience it until 3rd year when you will be so busy that you probably won't really have much time, no best wait until your 18 so you can have as much fun as everyone else.

I don't know, that's why I started this thread. I know that I can go to university, but not whether i'd be allowed in halls of residence.
University is for studying and learning, not for getting sh*t-faced and having your face drawn on and contracting STIs. I'd be going there to learn and gain experience, there is plenty things I could do without drinking or taking drugs. But i'm sure if i did choose to drink I could.
It's my personal choice, should universities allow it I will be going once i'm sixteen.

*Also, boost because i still haven't got an answer*
Reply 12
They should. I was 17 when I moved to university. Bare in mind I also moved country age 17 from Ireland to Scotland. People are exaggerating about you missing all the fun. The student unions rarely ID anyone so provided you don't look like a complete child when you're 16 you'll get away with hanging around with other students. Enjoy it and have plenty of fun and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being ahead of everyone! Plus, you should definitely not take a year out- you'll lose the study skills and dedication you've worked hard on clearly. Trust me, I've seen even the most studious struggle to get back into study after a gap year. Good luck and I hope things work out for you! :smile:
Original post by Ibeatu
That wasn't quite what I was asking, but thanks. I will have all the relevant qualifications :smile:

Yes, my year had a 16 year old French student doing first year on campus as a normal student, there's no issue to it.
Reply 14
Thank you! It's great to get an answer :biggrin:
Original post by Ibeatu
Thank you! It's great to get an answer :biggrin:

There was a 16 year old and about 4 17 year olds (at the start of the year) in my block this year, it's perfectly possible.
Recently a 15 year old started at Cambridge for the first time since William Pitt the Younger, so you wouldn't even be the youngest person ever to go to uni. In Scotland you can start uni at 16 easily if you're at the younger end of the year and apply to uni in the year when you do your highers. If I hadn't stayed to do Advanced Highers I could have started at 16 but I knew I wasn't mature enough and I needed Advanced Highers to get into some English universities. I'm sure they'd let you stay in halls, they let me at 17, just made my parents sign something saying that the uni weren't my legal guardians. So yes, they should let you stay in halls, they're not allowed to discriminate on the basis of age :biggrin:

Edit: Re-reading that it looks like I'm trying to downplay the fact you're going to uni at 16, I am honestly in awe of you. Enjoy it :biggrin: What do you want to study?

Edit of Edit: Why am I being negged? I didn't mean to offend anyone.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Recently a 15 year old started at Cambridge for the first time since William Pitt the Younger, so you wouldn't even be the youngest person ever to go to uni. In Scotland you can start uni at 16 easily if you're at the younger end of the year and apply to uni in the year when you do your highers. If I hadn't stayed to do Advanced Highers I could have started at 16 but I knew I wasn't mature enough and I needed Advanced Highers to get into some English universities. I'm sure they'd let you stay in halls, they let me at 17, just made my parents sign something saying that the uni weren't my legal guardians. So yes, they should let you stay in halls, they're not allowed to discriminate on the basis of age :biggrin:

Edit: Re-reading that it looks like I'm trying to downplay the fact you're going to uni at 16, I am honestly in awe of you. Enjoy it :biggrin: What do you want to study?

Thank you everyone for your replies, you've been so so helpful!

& I didn't see it that way, don't worry haha. Thank you! I'm hoping to study Medicine :smile:
Original post by Ibeatu

& I didn't see it that way, don't worry haha. Thank you! I'm hoping to study Medicine :smile:

This is where you are likely to get stuck - some universities have a lower age limit for Medicine. I know, for example, that Imperial require you to be 18, Cambridge require you to turn 18 in the first term etc.

You'll be relatively limited in terms of where you'll be allowed to apply aged 16.
Original post by Ibeatu

Ah, awesome. :biggrin: Where do you want to go? But yeah, apart from the social side I wouldn't worry, and there are going to be plenty of medics (and other students too) who don't drink/go out. If you want to have a social life at university you'll have one, it's as simple as that. :smile: And medicine's a long degree that's busy anyway so it shouldn't make a large amount of difference. I know a third year medic here who still has a social life.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending