The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I would respect them, just as I would if they were straight :smile:

It's not my life, it's theirs, and if they're happy with it...then so be it :smile:
Nothing. :dontknow:
I would be happy that, if any gay child had to be born, it was born to me and not to some homophobic bastard.
Reply 23
Point out to them that even if they're gay that they have a duty to carry on the family name and that I'll be expecting grandchildren. By hook or by crook. Then ride outta there on a tiger.
Reply 24
Wouldn't bother me, someone's sexuality is their own business, I'd just want my kids to be happy. At least if you had a girl you wouldn't have to worry about her getting pregnant, or your son getting someone else pregnant :tongue:
Original post by Wick3d
What's the problem though? :s-smilie:

Edit: Looks like we have a homophobe about...

Looks like we have another loser who likes shooting the term "homophobe" around for no apparent reason.
If I am honest - and I don't believe this is homophobic - I would be quietly disappointed. Not in my child, obviously, just in general. I like the idea of parenting a child that I know I can fully relate to and that we'd have very similar interests. I look forward to chatting to my son about girl problems or to my daughter about being cautious! I think I'm just set on a 'traditional'/'normal' family and I would be concerned that we wouldn't be as close as I'd hope.
I would be happy for them, but then be an awkward parent like Regina George's on Mean girls - offering condoms and lube whenever they are in the presence of another person they like. :mmm:
Original post by ipoop
Parent in denial over here!! :pierre:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really, my kids won't be in the kind of environment that tends to play a huge part in determining this unusual orientation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Perseveranze
Not really, my kids won't be in the kind of environment that tends to play a huge part in determining this unusual orientation.

I think your children would be closeted homosexuals.
I would make sure they know that homophobic bullying is not acceptable and that I will help to make sure it doesn't happen if they talk to me. Make sure they know the charities available to talk to if they're not comfortable talking to me. Direct female children to my lesbian friends as well for advice or male children to my gay men friends - again in case there's something they don't want to talk to me about. I'd also make sure they know they still have to use protection for sex because the schools don't really cover it in sex ed (or they don't now, at the age where I would have children they might) and start saving in case they want IVF.
I think my response would be... and?

If my Son grew up to be straight/gay/likes purple hair and blue shoes. That is fine by me, as long as he is happy..however, it will be drilled into him from an early age to respect his partners, male or female!
What would I do? Absolutely nothing. Why should it matter? As long as I could still embarrass them with baby photos and family dinners then the gender of them or their partner is no matter to me...
Original post by maskofsanity
If I am honest - and I don't believe this is homophobic - I would be quietly disappointed. Not in my child, obviously, just in general. I like the idea of parenting a child that I know I can fully relate to and that we'd have very similar interests. I look forward to chatting to my son about girl problems or to my daughter about being cautious! I think I'm just set on a 'traditional'/'normal' family and I would be concerned that we wouldn't be as close as I'd hope.

I'm not sure this works. It anyway doesn't for me. You'd surely be at least as far 'removed' from a daughter, even a straight daughter, as from a gay son. I mean, sexuality doesn't seem as importantly defining as gender. And if you could chat to a straight son about girl problems, why couldn't you do the same with a gay daughter?

To be perfectly honest, and while sex is certainly one of my interests, it isn't one I'm at all keen to discuss with either parent. We have bonded, heterosexual parents and heterosexual son, but not over this. Heterosexual sex isn't explicitly a shared interest of ours and I'd actually be mortified if my parents started to broach relationship issues in a way that required reference to sexual mechanics. To the limited extent that we've had talks about my romantic life, they've been exclusively about issues such as trust and loyalty, getting over loss and so on, topics need make no reference to the gender of the other party.
Reply 34
Homosexuality is not inherited, nor is it genetic, so there is absolutely no chance of me - being control of their nurture- having to go through this. I would have regular conversations with them from an early age of what they biologically are(a man) or my partner if we had a daughter (a woman!). We'd obviously educate them about biology, about nature, about how society works, and such. My son or daughter would be biologically designed for the opposite sex. Thus, homosexuality is a deviance from this natural design. I do not hate gay people. From a clinical point of view, I believe men are designed biologically for women, and vice versa. Thus, homosexuality -or any non heterosexuality- is a deviance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Is it that time of the month when all the gay threads start to pop up...
Reply 36
Original post by Perseveranze

And you are spot on. The leader of the Human Genome project has said that homosexuality is not hardwired - nurture plays a massive role. We human beings are sentient, have consciousness, and people have had sex with the same gender, children, animals, members of the opposite sex, and all other forms of sexuality. If there is a desire, there will be people going through different routes to fulfil it. One can choose what they are attracted to, by virtue of the kind of experience they expose themselves to, and the reinforcing of experiences.
But not to worry :wink: I want my child -if I have any- to understand they are male or female, understand what they are biologically adapted for, ect. If I had a leg which did not work, would I embrace that leg and say ' anyone who is disappointed is wrong' ? Or would I say 'let us try to get treatment for it, to ensure as best as we can, we can allow the leg to fulfil it's original use. Homosexuality is not genetic or predetermined, but the analogy holds.
Reply 37
I'm quite naive I think... I didnt think that many people would care in this day and age, but this thread has shown me the error of my ways, which saddens me :s-smilie:

I would congratulate him for having the strength to come out, as its not an easy thing to do... and I'd support him as fully as I would a straight child :P
I'd accept them.

Jesus, it's not that difficult.
Reply 39
Original post by maskofsanity

And why wouldn't you be disappointed? If your son or daughter are biologically designed for something, to be in a position where by virtue of nurture they do not obey natural laws? If we look at this in terms of pure biology, we have 'sex' as a desire to allow our genes to survive. A son or daughter who is gay by default won't have kids, thus nullifying our natural desire.

Latest