The Student Room Group

would private award affect my maintenance grant?

I may possibly get a private financial award of 10K for the next academic year. Can someone tell me whether this will affect my position with Student Finance England? I'm a UK citizen attending a UK university.

I currently get a maximum maintenance grant from SFE, but haven't applied for any loans, either for tuition fees or maintenance.

As I understand it, I automatically get the maximum maintenance grant, because my 'household income' is less than £25K. But what does 'household income' mean? Is it my parents' combined income, or does it include my income? My income is currently zero, but next year it will be 10K if I get the award. Even when this is added to my parents' combined income, the total will be less than 25K.

So my question is - will I still get the maximum grant?

I think this turns on whether my 'income' of 10K from the award will count as part of 'household income' or as something else.
Reply 1
Your income is only counted if you're classed as independent. If you apply with your parents income, yours is ignored.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
Your income is only counted if you're classed as independent. If you apply with your parents income, yours is ignored.

Are you sure? SFE say here that:

Your household income is the total amount your family earns each year before tax and National Insurance.

Whose income is assessed depends on whether you are classified as a dependent or independent student.

Dependent students

If you're a dependent student your income and your parents' income is assessed.

Do they assess my income and then ignore it? Also why do they ask for unearned income I will receive in 2013-14? Does the household income include my parents' for 2011-12, but mine for 2013-14?
I refer you to OU student's post
the 10k isn't an "income" it is a special case and there is a bit for that, for stuff from wills, the lottery, 'gifts' etc
Reply 5
Original post by balotelli12
I refer you to OU student's post

Thanks. I can read. I refer you to my reply to it, and in particular what I linked to from SFE, who clearly say that they assess dependent students' income. Assessing isn't ignoring.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending