The Student Room Group

Ridiculous reason to get sacked from a job

Has anyone experienced seeing/experiencing someone (or even you) getting sacked from a job for the most ridiculous reason?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, my friend got fired from her job because her boss didn't 'like her' even though she had been working there for about 3 years. He then basically said, you either leave voluntarily or I sack you, without any real reason behind it.
Reply 2
Original post by danielaandrea
Yeah, my friend got fired from her job because her boss didn't 'like her' even though she had been working there for about 3 years. He then basically said, you either leave voluntarily or I sack you, without any real reason behind it.

:frown:

I'd **** on his desk. He sounds like a repulsive person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Moving this to careers and employment

Surely your friend could have appealed it. My colleague was sacked because my boss claimed he wasn't pulling his weight at work, he appealed and got his job back. I personally wouldn't for the job I have lol but hey
My friends store had a new boss and he dismissed her due to her till being £12 down,which was clearly an excuse! She said he didn't like her from the beginning. I don't get why these managers get away with this
Original post by phunky_fresh
Surely your friend could have appealed it. My colleague was sacked because my boss claimed he wasn't pulling his weight at work, he appealed and got his job back. I personally wouldn't for the job I have lol but hey

She threatened to take him to a employment tribunal and he gave her a cheque for a very large amount of money and told her to leave (he paid her cash in hand and didn't want to get caught!)
Reply 8
She threatened to take him to a employment tribunal and he gave her a cheque for a very large amount of money and told her to leave (he paid her cash in hand and didn't want to get caught!)

I wonder what would happen to the manager if she did bring him to the tribunal.
Reply 9
I was working as an au pair (basically a live in babysitter for foreign kids) and the mum was a bit mental. Sweet as pie one minute, a complete bitch the next.

She would have fired me (had I not quit), because I didn't share a bed with her two dogs (after they'd weed on it) while she was on holiday. Never really understood that (sleeping with dogs on wee was defo not part of my job description! :p:), and quit as I couldn't deal with the drama :dontknow:
Reply 10
Original post by xmarilynx

She would have fired me (had I not quit), because I didn't share a bed with her two dogs (after they'd weed on it) while she was on holiday. Never really understood that (sleeping with dogs on wee was defo not part of my job description! :p:)

:eek:

That's really odd : /
Reply 11
Original post by kka25

Take the money then screw him anyway, I like it :colone:
Original post by kka25

There is a good chance they were avoiding paying NI contributions. Essentially if you are working a normal job and being paid cash in hand it is illegal.

Going to an employment tribunal would have resulted in the employer getting into a lot of hot water.

I worked a temp job like this only for about 4 weeks part time and was suddenly let go. I found out a year later that my employment situation had been illegal.
Original post by cl_steele
Take the money then screw him anyway, I like it :colone:

This is what should be done in the future if it ever happens again.
My boss didn't want to fire me but his wife made him because I was not "suitable" for the job.

A.K.A Because I didn't look like the back end of a bus, I couldn't work with him (His exact words)

Although I did get a nice cheque in the post for unfair dismissal.
Reply 15
Original post by Politics Student

I worked a temp job like this only for about 4 weeks part time and was suddenly let go. I found out a year later that my employment situation had been illegal.

:console:

can you tell me why it's illegal? I'm not sure the rules here.
Original post by kka25
:console:

can you tell me why it's illegal? I'm not sure the rules here.

There is a good chance that the employer is avoiding paying NI contribution and any other tax...

You are also avoiding NI and tax (Presuming you earn over the threshold) so all earnings need to be declared to HMRC ASAP.

If your employer is reported then there would be a fine and he would face disciplinary action from the company.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Got to be honest, some of these 'reasons' sound awfully untrue.

Under the table cheques for unfair dismissal etc.

i'd take the money and still take him to the tribunal and pretend he didn't give me it. A- there's no way he could prove it and B- im sure he'd lose his job if he made it public knowledge he'd paid her off so he's hardly going to admit to it.
Common practice these days is for businesses to try to sack their workers before the year's probationary period is up so they don't have to give a reason. This impacts mostly on the young and is the same reason we get ****ty one-year contracts which mean we can never get a mortgage or any kind of stability. What is frightening is that the government in this country is champing at the bit to abolish the minimum wage, increase probationary periods, remove us from civilised European agreements on workers' rights, and replace real jobs with workfare so they can pay a £53 or £68 minimum wage per week rather than £200.

If you are young and do not have any concrete career prospects, I advise you to learn a language, go and work in Europe, and give the UK the labour market drain it deserves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending