The Student Room Group

stupid government

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Origami Bullets
Oh, to be young and naive. Low rates of HE participation in certain neighbourhoods has been going on for much longer than student loans have. It has much more to do with poor areas tending to have poor schools, a lack of culture of going into HE and a lack of awareness that university is not just something that other people do.

Well in some ways isn't it good that in certain places people don't go to university? There are already way too many people going to university and way too many people doing soft degrees, the last thing we need is even more people.

I don't mean that all of those people who don't go should be from one place but if we're are being totally realistic that's just the way it'll work; if you live in a poor area and want to change you'll work hard at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by LewisG123
Well in some ways isn't it good that in certain places people don't go to university? There are already way too many people going to university and way too many people doing soft degrees, the last thing we need is even more people.

I don't mean that all of those people who don't go should be from one place but if we're are being totally realistic that's just the way it'll work; if you live in a poor area and want to change you'll work hard at school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if you mean it in the way I have understood it, but you are basically insinuating that higher education should be for the rich and privileged, regardless if they choose to do a soft degree or not. If a person from a lesser background applies, they should not be allowed to do a soft degree as there are too many places being taken up already and should only go for a harder one?

The only other reasoning I got from your post is that you basically say anyone from a lesser background doesn't work hard in comparison to the upper parallel because of that background. I am not from a privileged area; in fact, I believe I live in one of the crappier areas in the country. There were only a select few at my school who did not work hard, and that's normal for any school. Around two-thirds of my year applied and went to university as well, and no, a lot of them were not soft degrees.

While I do not wholly agree with the funding system I will never agree that places for university should be harder to achieve for unprivileged applicants purely because of their background in order to 'keep numbers down'.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Take a gap year, get a job, save money, go uni.

Surely your parents can also make some cut-backs if its not too much to ask.
Reply 23
Original post by Alarae
I'm not sure if you mean it in the way I have understood it, but you are basically insinuating that higher education should be for the rich and privileged, regardless if they choose to do a soft degree or not. If a person from a lesser background applies, they should not be allowed to do a soft degree as there are too many places being taken up already and should only go for a harder one?

The only other reasoning I got from your post is that you basically say anyone from a lesser background doesn't work hard in comparison to the upper parallel because of that background. I am not from a privileged area; in fact, I believe I live in one of the crappier areas in the country. There were only a select few at my school who did not work hard, and that's normal for any school. Around two-thirds of my year applied and went to university as well, and no, a lot of them were not soft degrees.

While I do not wholly agree with the funding system I will never agree that places for university should be harder to achieve for unprivileged applicants purely because of their background in order to 'keep numbers down'.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'm not sure how you got that interpretation, maybe I articulated myself badly. I didn't say say only rich people should go and I also didn't say that all people from under privileged backgrounds do soft degrees.

I meant that usually you'll find that most of the soft degrees have students who are from under privileged backgrounds because of this culture that university means you'll get a great job. I think those degrees should be cut out and if that results in universities becoming more middle classed then so be it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I think the issue here is that there is a cut off. Those just below get huge grants while those just above get none or very little. But in effect, both sets of potential students have the same support from (similar) parents (anyone who actually thinks someone with 100 less than the threshold and someone 100 above are that different to merit the large differences in grants is kidding themselves).

That's at least how I understand it.
I'm not sure how you got that interpretation, maybe I articulated myself badly. I didn't say say only rich people should go and I also didn't say that all people from under privileged backgrounds do soft degrees.

I meant that usually you'll find that most of the soft degrees have students who are from under privileged backgrounds because of this culture that university means you'll get a great job. I think those degrees should be cut out and if that results in universities becoming more middle classed then so be it.

I interpreted it in exactly the same way as Alarae.

The issue of 'soft degrees' is one that is totally removed from the issue of who goes to university. I know people from underprivileged backgrounds who are doing subjects like medicine, physics and engineering. Hardly soft, but not one of them would be there if the level of financial support was not in place. If your parents can't afford to feed your siblings, then they're hardly going to be able to support you at university - but I don't believe for a moment that that is the situation the OP finds themselves in.

Two people with equal innate abilities should reach approximately the same place in life, regardless of their family background. I don't see how anyone can argue against that and still claim to be in favour of some level of social justice, but it's not the way things are at the moment.

Oh, and it isn't just a matter of working a bit harder at school. If your teacher is appalling, and the other pupils disruptive, then it's far harder to work at school. If you go home and your hands are so cold that you can't write properly because you can't afford to put the heating on, then it's far harder to work at home. If you have to struggle that much harder just to get the basic necessities in life - and you worry that you won't always be able to eat dinner on any given evening - then it's far harder to concentrate on schoolwork.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I interpreted it in the way you intended.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by blue n white army
The only reason they are less likely to go is cos they don't understand the student loans system.

No.

What I mean is that people from less well off backgrounds are less likely to go to a good school. Less likely to get top grades and less likely to get into "top" universities. In short, less likely to get the encouragement and support that is necessary.

If you aren't aware of this then you are clearly blind the the advantage that having an affluent upbringing has.

Last year my flatemate was just over the threshold and only got the basic amount, my other flat mate had divorced parents and lived with his mum who was on a low income and he got near enough 3 grand extra.

6 grand is more than enough to live off at uni, i don't understand where these significant financial challenges come from?

People from less well off backgrounds can be more likely to have chronic medical conditions or have relatives with chronic medical conditions (and they may be a carer to this relative). If a carer they therefore might not have the amount of spare time needed to get a part-time job and earn any extra money that is needed. If they have a chronic medical condition themselves they may also have care and mobility needs that bring added expense, or means they are unable to work and earn money.

Just one example.

Even six grand isn't necessarily "more than enough to live off", at least in first year, considering some university owned accommodation can be 4.5 to 5k.
Why do you expect to be given the money for free?

people from poor backgrounds have an aboslute easy ride in terms of getting student finance. They get more loan and huge grants, i get just over 4k and about £200 in grants. My flatmate gets £6k for the year.

Show me where I wrote I expect money for free. We don't have an easy ride. We get more money because our parents can't afford (through no fault of their own) to give us money to help us out.
Original post by OU Student
Show me where I wrote I expect money for free. We don't have an easy ride. We get more money because our parents can't afford (through no fault of their own) to give us money to help us out.

Someone posted saying that you shouldnt be able to get the full grant from student finance with out taking the full loan. You replied that you shouldnt force people to take on debt I.e. you should have the right to take just the grant. Grant = free money.

The whole idea of means checking our parents is stupid. At the end of the day we're over 18 and our parents dont have a legal responsibility over us and i know plenty of people from well off backgrounds whose parents give them next to nothing Secondly its not our parents who have to pay the loan back.
Poorer students get more money and have to pay back less how is that not an easier ride?
Original post by River85
No.

What I mean is that people from less well off backgrounds are less likely to go to a good school. Less likely to get top grades and less likely to get into "top" universities. In short, less likely to get the encouragement and support that is necessary.

If you aren't aware of this then you are clearly blind the the advantage that having an affluent upbringing has.

People from less well off backgrounds can be more likely to have chronic medical conditions or have relatives with chronic medical conditions (and they may be a carer to this relative). If a carer they therefore might not have the amount of spare time needed to get a part-time job and earn any extra money that is needed. If they have a chronic medical condition themselves they may also have care and mobility needs that bring added expense, or means they are unable to work and earn money.

Just one example.

Even six grand isn't necessarily "more than enough to live off", at least in first year, considering some university owned accommodation can be 4.5 to 5k.

Fair enough. I was assuming you were talking about people who wanted to and could get into uni not going because they think they cant afford it

The whole idea of means checking our parents is stupid. At the end of the day we're over 18 and our parents dont have a legal responsibility over us and i know plenty of people from well off backgrounds whose parents give them next to nothing Secondly its not our parents who have to pay the loan back.
Poorer students get more money and have to pay back less how is that not an easier ride?

Where would the money come from to give people more money, if it was done on their income and not their parents?

Poorer students sometimes have to pay back more.

It's not an easy ride when you're having to lend your parents money because they're on such a low income. :frown:
Get married or civil partnered. Then your household income will be based on you and your spouse and not on your parents.
Reply 33
Original post by River85
No.

Just one example.

well said, it seems to be frequently assumed on tsr that growing up poor is just like growing up rich but with fewer treats.

In addition overcrowding is a growing problem in this country. underpriviledged kids may be sharing a small bedroom with a sibling leaving them nowhere to study.
Original post by OU Student
Where would the money come from to give people more money, if it was done on their income and not their parents?

Poorer students sometimes have to pay back more.

It's not an easy ride when you're having to lend your parents money because they're on such a low income. :frown:

I've always thought it should be based on the course you are doing by using average employment figures and salaries so effectively you're basing the loan amount on future ability to payback the loan.
I've always thought it should be based on the course you are doing by using average employment figures and salaries so effectively you're basing the loan amount on future ability to payback the loan.

Why should nursing students receive less money than medicine students? Without either our NHS would collapse, and it's not as though their living costs are any different during any given year of their studies.
Original post by Origami Bullets
Why should nursing students receive less money than medicine students? Without either our NHS would collapse, and it's not as though their living costs are any different during any given year of their studies.

nurses always expose flaws in my arguments :P. I actually think their are major flaws in how some medical/ health care courses are currently funded (they need more money).

However my main argument was to discourage people from doing degrees which are essentially worthless.
nurses always expose flaws in my arguments :P. I actually think their are major flaws in how some medical/ health care courses are currently funded (they need more money).

However my main argument was to discourage people from doing degrees which are essentially worthless.

That is a ridiculous idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can't measure the worth of a degree by a person's earnings. That's the problem.

I'm sure you think golf course management is a worthless course, but in reality it has a very high graduate employment rate. Nurses and social workers don't earn much, but we do need them. Many maths and physics graduates go into investment banking - and look where that's got us.

How illogical. So, are you seriously suggesting that someone who wants to be a nurse, gets the same amount of money regardless of where they live? And why should an art student who attends the same uni as a computing student get less?

It makes no sense at all.

Some degrees offer quite a few employment options. How would you decide from the hundreds of options how much someone would get, based on that? Some people also go into completely different careers based on what they studied.

Very flawed imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending