The Student Room Group

KAPLAN UKCAT Course - Worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did the KAPLAN course in Manchester and overall if money isn't a problem then go for it :smile: It isn't the best value for money but I think it did help me quite a bit. The course days aren't really special but they do open your eyes to the fact that the questions are much easier than you might think - personally I believe the 600 questions book to be ridiculously difficult, especially QR and I wouldn't recommend it at all (I don't understand how it got high reviews??). What makes the course worthwhile is the 5 online practice papers! They are very realistic and they definitely helped me get used to the style of questions, layout and time management etc. I can't stress enough how useful they were and they easily give you an edge. This is just my experience but if the course gives you that edge ahead of everybody else then it's worth it in the end! Good luck!!
Reply 41
It was a while ago I made this thread. Having done the course myself now, I would say that the course is good. The lady we had in Birmingham was brilliant. And it is about the experience of questions under timed conditions, getting used to as many times of questions as possible, and being told the technique to use. Essentially, yes, you are paying nearly 300 quid for a huge book with all the information in it, but that's not to say the woman that ran the course wasn't a massive help.

I do think however, I then began to rely on the course completely. Assuming that just doing that and a few questions from the 600 Q book was all I needed. This wasn't the case hence my 627.5 average.

Is it necessary? No.
Would it help? Yes - especially, if your feeling unconfident, new to the whole thing, and generally, don't even know where to get started.
Reply 42
Original post by eduardopescado
I did the KAPLAN course in Manchester and overall if money isn't a problem then go for it :smile: It isn't the best value for money but I think it did help me quite a bit. The course days aren't really special but they do open your eyes to the fact that the questions are much easier than you might think - personally I believe the 600 questions book to be ridiculously difficult, especially QR and I wouldn't recommend it at all (I don't understand how it got high reviews??). What makes the course worthwhile is the 5 online practice papers! They are very realistic and they definitely helped me get used to the style of questions, layout and time management etc. I can't stress enough how useful they were and they easily give you an edge. This is just my experience but if the course gives you that edge ahead of everybody else then it's worth it in the end! Good luck!!

Tbf the 600 book got me a ridiculously high score in QR when I did the UKCAT so tbh it made up for it's ridiculous hardness.
Reply 43
When I applied, 4 years ago - I didn't go to the Kaplan courses but I went to the Coma and Blackstone tutors courses - ended up getting 725 in the UKCAT and 4 medicine offers, which with hindsight is partly due to the UKCAT and BMAT courses that I attended.

They seem extortionate at the time, but a few years down the line - you'll really appreciate this small investment.

My personal favorite were the blackstone tutors courses - capped at 10/12 students + not as pricey as the others.
Reply 44
Original post by jam277
Tbf the 600 book got me a ridiculously high score in QR when I did the UKCAT so tbh it made up for it's ridiculous hardness.

No doubt the practice will make you faster but the problem for me was that I didn't think the questions were representative of the actual test. I got 830 and maybe the book made me faster but I feel like the practice tests gave me chance to go through very realistic questions which I think helped me most. Maybe you're just naturally good! :tongue:
Abstract Reasoning, though... Just why haha!!!?? I did fine but it seems so random!
The money shouldn't be a factor considering this is for your future.

However, the course itself doesn't teach you anything radical and I would be willing to sell my course booklet to anyone, which contains all the 'theory'.
Reply 46
@OP: Seriously, don't waste your cash - it won't improve your score.
Reply 47
Original post by oli_G
@OP: Seriously, don't waste your cash - it won't improve your score.

Dude, its way too late for that... :tongue:

Original post by ameelia22
It was a while ago I made this thread. Having done the course myself now, I would say that the course is good. The lady we had in Birmingham was brilliant. And it is about the experience of questions under timed conditions, getting used to as many times of questions as possible, and being told the technique to use. Essentially, yes, you are paying nearly 300 quid for a huge book with all the information in it, but that's not to say the woman that ran the course wasn't a massive help.

I do think however, I then began to rely on the course completely. Assuming that just doing that and a few questions from the 600 Q book was all I needed. This wasn't the case hence my 627.5 average.

Is it necessary? No.
Would it help? Yes - especially, if your feeling unconfident, new to the whole thing, and generally, don't even know where to get started.
Reply 48
I bought the kaplan materials last year from someone who attended the course the previous year. My average score improved by quite a substantial amount.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ameelia22

Is it necessary? No.

Did you get into any unis in the end? I was seriously contemplating on going to the Kaplan course this summer since all my UKCAT practice simply just doesn't click with me.
Reply 50
I would really recommend the website medify, I did all the questions available and the mock and I got 695. It cost me £15, which is nothing compared to the Kaplan course
Reply 51
Original post by HighwayUnicorn
Did you get into any unis in the end? I was seriously contemplating on going to the Kaplan course this summer since all my UKCAT practice simply just doesn't click with me.

Nope, and the only one that interviewed me was Liverpool, and since 4 rejections. Planning on reapplying should the grades come through.

I would still recommend the course.
Reply 52
I did the Kaplan course and got 710, 710, 700, 580, or something like that (damn you abstract) averaging out at 675. The 2 day Kaplan course is good but NOT worth the money AT ALL. You'd be much better off buying some practice papers as I think they're what helped me. That's my advice!
I got 707 and spent about a week doing the free online papers and using the 600 ukcat questions book. You really don't need to spend a lot of money.
Reply 54
Original post by awilson008
I got 707 and spent about a week doing the free online papers and using the 600 ukcat questions book. You really don't need to spend a lot of money.

Same here, sort of... About 2-3 weeks before the exam, I read all the advice and did every free paper I could find online, the official online mocks, and the questions (didn't have time to do the mock) in 600Q. Got 802.5 somehow :lol: I'm just cheap though - if you have the money to spend then buying Medify and going on courses obviously won't hurt.
Original post by suncake
Same here, sort of... About 2-3 weeks before the exam, I read all the advice and did every free paper I could find online, the official online mocks, and the questions (didn't have time to do the mock) in 600Q. Got 802.5 somehow :lol: I'm just cheap though - if you have the money to spend then buying Medify and going on courses obviously won't hurt.

Wow that's an impressive score! My best section was decision analysis by far (got 830) but verbal and abstract reasoning are my downfall. :P

Of course going on those courses will never hurt, but money was definitely an issue for me. I know a few people who spent hundreds of pounds and struggled to hit 600!
Reply 56
Original post by awilson008
Wow that's an impressive score! My best section was decision analysis by far (got 830) but verbal and abstract reasoning are my downfall. :P

Of course going on those courses will never hurt, but money was definitely an issue for me. I know a few people who spent hundreds of pounds and struggled to hit 600!

Thanks :tongue: Snap with the DA score... I actually found that section quite fun :colone:

Ouch... I've always wondered why the courses are so expensive. There's so many tips and questions on the internet about it, and there's nothing stopping anyone from sitting and doing the mocks in test conditions themselves. How much extra do the courses really provide? :s-smilie:
Original post by suncake
Thanks :tongue: Snap with the DA score... I actually found that section quite fun :colone:

Ouch... I've always wondered why the courses are so expensive. There's so many tips and questions on the internet about it, and there's nothing stopping anyone from sitting and doing the mocks in test conditions themselves. How much extra do the courses really provide? :s-smilie:

Well I know one person who went on a two-day Kaplan course where they spent an intensive period of time going over the theory behind a good score, then practicing questions. They then received a load of extra notes, and exam papers (five if I recall)
Reply 58
Original post by rd1709
When I applied, 4 years ago - I didn't go to the Kaplan courses but I went to the Coma and Blackstone tutors courses - ended up getting 725 in the UKCAT and 4 medicine offers, which with hindsight is partly due to the UKCAT and BMAT courses that I attended.

They seem extortionate at the time, but a few years down the line - you'll really appreciate this small investment.

My personal favorite were the blackstone tutors courses - capped at 10/12 students + not as pricey as the others.

I went to the Blackstone courses as well (both UKCAT and BMAT) and was very impressed - they seem less intent on taking your money and more focussed on getting you into medicine. Did you have Riz (from Imperial) as one of your teachers?
Reply 59
When can we actually 'buy' medify? I keep trying to find out how to make an account but I'm getting nowhere.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending