The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough?

I was just wondering are my GCSE's good enough for me to get into a good university? LSE, Durham, UCL ? I'm currently doing AS.

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Maths - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Economics/Business - A
Geography - A*
ICT - A
Spanish - B
Citizenship - A*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pheoa101
I was just wondering are my GCSE's good enough for me to get into a good university? LSE, Durham, UCL ? I'm currently doing AS.

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Maths - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Economics/Business - A
Geography - A*
ICT - A
Spanish - B
Citizenship - A*

No, you need A* in every subject. You can always try the less prestigious Universities which only require As.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by TaylorGang_4
No, you need A* in every subject. You can always try the less prestigious Universities which only require As.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would you class as prestigious?
Reply 3
I'm pretty sure they will look more closely at your A Levels so make sure they are amazing for those unis - check their individual requirements for your chosen course
Reply 4
Your gcses are ok, they're just not "good"
It all depends upon other things, your as levels / subject you want to take at uni, gcses in comparison to your school/year
Your gcses are not going to stop you from going to university, it's just that they won't get you into university either
Reply 5

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Maths - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Economics/Business - A
Geography - A*
ICT - A
Spanish - B
Citizenship - A*

You must be joking! Their bloody fantastic

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Maths - A
Biology - A*
Chemistry - B
Physics - B
Economics/Business - A
Geography - A*
ICT - A
Spanish - B
Citizenship - A*

They're absolutely fine. Whilst some Universities do take into account your performance at GCSE, others (including Cambridge) more or less completely disregard your GCSE performance.

Whilst it is probably true that most applicants would have better GCSE grades, it definitely will not put you at a big disadvantage. Just make sure you do well in your A Levels.
What would you class as prestigious?

I was joking. Your results are very good. It's your.A.Levels that matter most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They are actually good just get good grades in A/AS levels as well and you should be able to get into a good university :smile:.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Thread obviously made to show off...
Original post by ConsiderScience
They are actually fairly good but A/AS levels will matter a lot more so perhaps try and get a good grade with them to and you should be fine :smile:

Fairly good?!?! You must be one of them people who cries if they get As at A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fairly good?!?! You must be one of them people who cries if they get As at A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No i am just not good at wording things i know they are brilliant but i did not word it well after i edited it originally lol i would not cry over that :smile: ill edit the post thanks for pointing it out i would have missed that otherwise.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by CodeJack
Thread obviously made to show off...

Nope, not really.I thought I could post genuine questions on here without the need for such immaturity, but alas here you are.
Reply 13
I was joking. Your results are very good. It's your.A.Levels that matter most.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha okay :smile:
Reply 14
Email an admissions tutor :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Chlorophile
They're absolutely fine. Whilst some Universities do take into account your performance at GCSE, others (including Cambridge) more or less completely disregard your GCSE performance.

Whilst it is probably true that most applicants would have better GCSE grades, it definitely will not put you at a big disadvantage. Just make sure you do well in your A Levels.

Ah okay, its just people have been telling me LSE are huge on your GCSE's and all my peers who are thinking of applying have got all A* and A's, so you can understand my worry/confusion.
Reply 16
Original post by madfish
Email an admissions tutor :smile:

Thanks, I'll look into that.:smile:
Reply 17
Ah okay, its just people have been telling me LSE are huge on your GCSE's and all my peers who are thinking of applying have got all A* and A's, so you can understand my worry/confusion.

I used to worry that my grades were not good enough for a top uni

then I just kind of realized that it's all over hyped nonsense

as long as you get into university you are within the lucky 1% population of the earth who can afford it
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi :smile:. Or of the teachers at my school recently told me my GCSE's weren't good enough for me to get into Oxbridge... Would you agree?

Maths - A*
Maths (IGCSE) - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Geography - A*
ICT (x2) - A*
Biology - A
English lit - A
English Lang - A
History - A
R.E (short) - A

(7A* and 5A grades, is this really gonna stop me from getting into Oxbridge!?!?)
Thanks x
Reply 19
Original post by sophiekutie
Hi :smile:. Or of the teachers at my school recently told me my GCSE's weren't good enough for me to get into Oxbridge... Would you agree?

Maths - A*
Maths (IGCSE) - A*
Chemistry - A*
Physics - A*
Geography - A*
ICT (x2) - A*
Biology - A
English lit - A
English Lang - A
History - A
R.E (short) - A

(7A* and 5A grades, is this really gonna stop me from getting into Oxbridge!?!?)
Thanks x

They're amazing, did you get in?

Quick Reply

Latest