The Student Room Group

Appealing a wrong decision?

I applied for a customer-facing role and in the latter stage of the recruitment process I did a role play. I discussed it with other people after the role play and some people who said more or less everything I did got through! But I didn't? Should/Can I appeal?

I mean it is somewhat subjective but I believe I did everything to demonstrate good customer service skills. I do feel really hard done by to be honest.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
It could be that lots of people handled the role play well so they had to pick out the best candidates based on other factors. Or perhaps they were looking for very subtle things that you didn't discuss such as maybe body language.
Reply 2
Original post by ttoby
It could be that lots of people handled the role play well so they had to pick out the best candidates based on other factors. Or perhaps they were looking for very subtle things that you didn't discuss such as maybe body language.

I was one of the first applicants to do this- it was a pre-9am interview

Surely what you say and do trumps body language!
If a customer demands a refund they will be most interested in getting the refund not my body language lol!
Original post by ttoby

I agree.
It could be that a lot of you where good, so they had to choose based on other factors etc. Or there might have been little things that other people did that you didnt.
If you are really bothered about it, get in touch with the company and ask for feedback to find out what you did wrong.
Reply 4
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
It could be that a lot of you where good, so they had to choose based on other factors etc. Or there might have been little things that other people did that you didnt.
If you are really bothered about it, get in touch with the company and ask for feedback to find out what you did wrong.

Hmm but they employ some people who are less competent than me lol!

But I feel they could have given me a chance!
I asked for feedback and I was told I had a 8 week wait!
Original post by a729

If a customer demands a refund they will be most interested in getting the refund not my body language lol!

Body language is very important.

Maybe they also 'looked the part' a bit more. Maybe they were dressed better.

Maybe you have bad breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
Body language is very important.

Maybe they also 'looked the part' a bit more. Maybe they were dressed better.

Maybe you have bad breath.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was the best dressed there lol! And my breath was fresh!

I was hoping for some moral support lol not a justification for the wrong decision lol!
Original post by a729
I was the best dressed there lol! And my breath was fresh!

I was hoping for some moral support lol not a justification for the wrong decision lol!

Well you have approached this thread completely wrong.

You sound like you have an unhealthy ego and also very whiny.

They did not give you the job? Get over it. Easy unless you have reason to believe that discrimination laws have been broken.

Lots of people might have done well, had better experience etc, or you came across badly in some aspects of the interview.

The interview process was good experience and that is what you have to come away from the interview remembering.
Reply 8
Original post by Politics Student
Well you have approached this thread completely wrong.

You sound like you have an unhealthy ego and also very whiny.

They did not give you the job? Get over it. Easy unless you have reason to believe that discrimination laws have been broken.

Lots of people might have done well, had better experience etc, or you came across badly in some aspects of the interview.

The interview process was good experience and that is what you have to come away from the interview remembering.

I don't have a unhealthy ego- it's just I felt this job was perfect for me and vice versa- I didn't mean to be whiny

It was a role play so didn't take into account any previous experience

I will try to learn from it
Original post by a729
I don't have a unhealthy ego- it's just I felt this job was perfect for me and vice versa- I didn't mean to be whiny

It was a role play so didn't take into account any previous experience

I will try to learn from it

The job might have been a perfect match for the others being interviewed as well.

Simply put if it comes down to role play they may have liked others more or a good amount of people did very well so they selected those that had 'the right look' etc.

Presuming the same people did the rest of the interview process I would expect other factors to be considered particularly if there was a few very strong role plays.
It's up to them who they employ. Somewhere along the recruitment stage you impressed them less than another candidate. Once your feedback comes through work on improving for future applications.
Original post by a729

Well, seeing as around 70% of communication is non verbal, body language is actually very important in a customer service role. Imagine if you were asking for a refund and the member of staff stood slumped over the desk- it'd make you feel like a burden, right? So it is important.

Ultimately, whatever the "next stage" is that you didn't get through to, they'll only have a certain number of places. There aren't enough available, so they have to make a decision somehow. If you were as good as everyone else, they may have even picked at random, who knows. You didn't get through, take any feedback you get, and keep applying for more jobs. Even getting through to the interview stage is good, so don't be too down by getting turned away. If you're as good as you think you are, you may get a phone call if people drop out.
Reply 12
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well, seeing as around 70% of communication is non verbal, body language is actually very important in a customer service role. Imagine if you were asking for a refund and the member of staff stood slumped over the desk- it'd make you feel like a burden, right? So it is important.

Ultimately, whatever the "next stage" is that you didn't get through to, they'll only have a certain number of places. There aren't enough available, so they have to make a decision somehow. If you were as good as everyone else, they may have even picked at random, who knows. You didn't get through, take any feedback you get, and keep applying for more jobs. Even getting through to the interview stage is good, so don't be too down by getting turned away. If you're as good as you think you are, you may get a phone call if people drop out.

Ok that's a good response!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending