The Student Room Group

Economics Work Experience - HELP :D

Hi, I'm a year 12 student and I'm thinking of applying for Economics and Management or a PPE course next year at Uni and I was wondering what sort of work experience I can do this summer. I've already got about 2 weeks at UBS but I feel that if I have some more, it will help me out.

So what sort of places are there to apply for because I can't find anything at the moment :frown:

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Original post by miladghodsi
Hi, I'm a year 12 student and I'm thinking of applying for Economics and Management or a PPE course next year at Uni and I was wondering what sort of work experience I can do this summer. I've already got about 2 weeks at UBS but I feel that if I have some more, it will help me out.

So what sort of places are there to apply for because I can't find anything at the moment :frown:

You really don't need work experience for those courses; extra reading/lectures/taster days are all good though :smile:
Reply 2
Work experience isn't necessary at all. Do plenty of reading, maybe attend lectures/taster days as above. Perhaps join things like debating/politics/economics societies, but even that's not necessary.

Your 2 weeks at UBS are more than enough :yes: Now show Oxford that you want to study the theory of economics, and don't just want to be another suited up LSE student out to make a buck.

How did u manage to get the placement at UBS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It was last year. Our school's work experience adviser's daughter works at UBS and I got in through her. She organised it
It was last year. Our school's work experience adviser's daughter works at UBS and I got in through her. She organised it

Oh wow thats really good so what sort of stuff did you so?

Posted from TSR Mobile

may i ask how you got 2 weeks at UBS?? thats sounds great, please share
Hi sorry for the late reply - just saw your message

I worked in the Risk Management department because my school had a contact there, and so he showed by the different areas of risk management and the different types of risks a bank can face (OR, CR etc.). The person also showed me around the offices and I got to see the trading floor which was amazing! I also had meetings from people around the world (I had a Swiss banker telling me how he went from higher education straight to UBS and he's worked his way up). I also had experience with Spreadsheets as I got to sort through an actual spreadsheet UBS were using - I got to use pivot tables and things like that. Lastly I had to do a presentation on everything I had learnt (I had about 10 meetings all with different departments and I had to put that information into a powerpoint so that helped my communication skills. They cater really well for work experience :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got it through the Work Experience person in our school, she organised it for us, but if you contact them you might be able to organise something yourself - UBS really cater well for work experience - they take you through all the departments and show yo what it's like to work in the bank :smile: It was a good experience I would definitely recommend it to anyone who gets a place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got it through the Work Experience person in our school, she organised it for us, but if you contact them you might be able to organise something yourself - UBS really cater well for work experience - they take you through all the departments and show yo what it's like to work in the bank :smile: It was a good experience I would definitely recommend it to anyone who gets a place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have any website links?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiirankapoor
Do you have any website links?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure if there is a website link. You could always call them - their number is online and talk to them. I'm sure there are still ways of getting in. All I can say is good luck :biggrin:
I'm not sure if there is a website link. You could always call them - their number is online and talk to them. I'm sure there are still ways of getting in. All I can say is good luck :biggrin:

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey miladghodsi! I also know someone in UBS but he said he doesn't know who to ask about getting me a place there :smile: Who the hell does he ask? I need an answer ASAP!! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OIT!!! I need an answer to my previous question!!!!! Who do I contact??!?!?!?!?
To anyone on here looking for advice I managed to get a week at lloyds and ING in summer after year 12 by attaining a list of numbers off the library at school, you should ask if yours have a similar list. Citi I got through my mum, having contacts do help :/
Reply 15
Do you guys think a subject combination of maths, economics, chemistry and history is strong enough for Econ and management at oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m0hd_J
Do you guys think a subject combination of maths, economics, chemistry and history is strong enough for Econ and management at oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I dont see why not, but I think top unis prefer further maths and/or physics due to the heavy maths element in the degree
there are some work experience posts available for 15 to 17 year olds (unpaid 2 weeks) at the government: https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/jobs.cgi?jcode=1409475

not specifically economics but may be of interest and BIS is quite an economics-oriented department so there would probably be chance to talk to economists there and maybe see if you could do some shadowing

Quick Reply

Latest