The Student Room Group

Belfast and racism - is it a good city for me?

Hello!

I am interested in studying medicine (entry 2014) in Belfast. I come from an EU country but I'm originally arab, so I am not white. Now I want to honestly ask you people, would I be better off in other British cities? Should I not apply to QUB? I will go more deeply in these kinds of discussions with the associations there in NI later on, but I'm asking here just in case any of you guys know and can give me some info.

So in conclusion: any opinions on Belfast? Would an arab looking guy get harassed? Is there racism? Would I be stared at? These are really random questions, I know, but I really want to research this university and Belfast throughout, because I feel like I have some kind of attraction to the place.
Original post by ParticlePhysics
Hello!

I am interested in studying medicine (entry 2014) in Belfast. I come from an EU country but I'm originally arab, so I am not white. Now I want to honestly ask you people, would I be better off in other British cities? Should I not apply to QUB? I will go more deeply in these kinds of discussions with the associations there in NI later on, but I'm asking here just in case any of you guys know and can give me some info.

So in conclusion: any opinions on Belfast? Would an arab looking guy get harassed? Is there racism? Would I be stared at? These are really random questions, I know, but I really want to research this university and Belfast throughout, because I feel like I have some kind of attraction to the place.

I don't live in Belfast, but no one else has answered so I'll tell you what I know.

First off, if you're looking for multiculturalism, then Northern Ireland ain't it. Its non-white population is ~1%, compared to ~10% for England. However, any racism tends to have its energies directed into sectarianism - that is, Catholics vs Protestants, though the civil war has died down to more manageable levels and there are far fewer bombings in Northern Ireland than there once were, and very few ever go off.

Personally I'm not sure I'd want to live in Belfast, so unless there was something particularly special about studying in Belfast then I would err towards applying elsewhere.
Thank you for your answer!! you cant believe how important this is!
Reply 3
Belfast is no worse for racism than any other UK city, in fact I'd say that it's probably one of the better cities in the UK, I'd be in Belfast just for shopping etc and know people from Belfast and people of other races isn't a big deal at all, I doubt anyone would bat an eyelash. As for the Catholic/Protestant thing, it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be, by far the minority of people harbour any sort of hate towards the opposite religion, there isn't an overly large number of sectarian incidents nowadays, even during the recent riots in relation to the Union Flag, it was blown up a lot.

Belfast is a nice city, I'm sure if you were to study there, you would like it :smile:
I'm from Belfast! Generally the northern Irish population is more narrow minded with it comes to Protestants and Catholics than different nationalities!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
As someone from outside Belfast but still in Norn Iron, I would say that although Belfast is by far and away the most multicultural area of the province, it is still has far more problems with racism than the rest of the UK, but things are definitely improving. The student population is probably the most tolerant of other races and cultures, but where I am from (Ballymoney if anyone knows where that is lol) there are a lot of very prejudiced people. QUB is a lovely uni, and Belfast is great, so I don't want to put you off but there's a good chance you could face some problems, although it's also possible that you would face them anywhere around the UK. Another issue that a lot of people have with Queens is that because so many students are from Northern Ireland, a significant majority go home for some, if not every weekend. This can mean it gets quite lonely for anyone unable to do so, but of course there will be lots of non-NI students around.

So yeah in conclusion, Belfast is clesh, but if you do choose to come here, be prepared to face racism from some people, but it is unlikely to come from your peers.

And to everyone who says that the Prod/Cath thing is more important than race, some people who hold very strong sectarian views also hold racist ones (but obviously not everyone).

I love Belfast and as a city it is so nice to live in so I really hope you do come here. Hope I have been of some hlep and good luck!
Original post by Caitlin_dj
As someone from outside Belfast but still in Norn Iron, I would say that although Belfast is by far and away the most multicultural area of the province, it is still has far more problems with racism than the rest of the UK, but things are definitely improving. The student population is probably the most tolerant of other races and cultures, but where I am from (Ballymoney if anyone knows where that is lol) there are a lot of very prejudiced people. QUB is a lovely uni, and Belfast is great, so I don't want to put you off but there's a good chance you could face some problems, although it's also possible that you would face them anywhere around the UK. Another issue that a lot of people have with Queens is that because so many students are from Northern Ireland, a significant majority go home for some, if not every weekend. This can mean it gets quite lonely for anyone unable to do so, but of course there will be lots of non-NI students around.

So yeah in conclusion, Belfast is clesh, but if you do choose to come here, be prepared to face racism from some people, but it is unlikely to come from your peers.

And to everyone who says that the Prod/Cath thing is more important than race, some people who hold very strong sectarian views also hold racist ones (but obviously not everyone).

I love Belfast and as a city it is so nice to live in so I really hope you do come here. Hope I have been of some hlep and good luck!

Thank you, this helped a lot! I still am considering it, because I believe every place has its positives and negatives. :smile:
I live in Belfast and as far as I'm aware, the majority of hatred and sort of racism (sectarianism) if Catholic Vs Protestant. Obviously there are cases of racism toward other cultures, as there is in any area, but generally the people are quite friendly! (Unless you bring up Catholic vs Protestant!)
Reply 8
This may be a helpful artice for you.

http://www.irr.org.uk/news/an-assessment-of-racial-violence-in-northern-ireland/

I have lived in belfast for most of my life, I am currently studing at QUB , I am half Irish half chinese, although I do look quite white. I have not had any racial problems since I was a child. However I think that there are cirtan areas in belfast that have a higher percentage of racial attacks. South belfast I think you will have no problems what so ever. I also think you will have no problems in QUB . Good Luck in your decisions
Reply 9
Original post by sevenroofs
This may be a helpful artice for you.

http://www.irr.org.uk/news/an-assessment-of-racial-violence-in-northern-ireland/

I have lived in belfast for most of my life, I am currently studing at QUB , I am half Irish half chinese, although I do look quite white. I have not had any racial problems since I was a child. However I think that there are cirtan areas in belfast that have a higher percentage of racial attacks. South belfast I think you will have no problems what so ever. I also think you will have no problems in QUB . Good Luck in your decisions

Yeah I would broadly agree with this. In and around Queens and any student/tourist areas you'll find very little racism and a lot of other nationalities. Generally it's quite a friendly city. There are certain parts where you might attract some funny looks alright.

Also- for some reason Republicans (primarily Catholics) sympathise with the PLO and fly Palestinian flags alongside the Irish tricolour, while in some places you'll see Loyalists (primarily Protestants) flying Israeli flags with their Union flags and Northern Irish flags.
Belfast is amazing.
I wouldn't wear my Celtic top there let's put it that way.
There has been an issue with myself and two women of the surname Clarke, they had assumed I was a gymnast because I look like it and they do it and I have tried my best explaining I wasn't and they have been on a bit of a vendetta because they thought I was rude for some reason I have been their special interest for large portions of their lives which has made me ill. If you think you might get into trouble read a history book for each part to get to know a bit more but if you are normally don't worry. Everyone is really really really friendly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending