The Student Room Group
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford

Anybody firmed/got a place on Bradford Biomecical Science? show yourselves!

I just firmed my place.
Looking into living at the green... It was so lovely when I visited :3

*I'm aware I just put a c in the wrong place in the title... Whoops!*
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by becky1237
I just firmed my place.
Looking into living at the green... It was so lovely when I visited :3

*I'm aware I just put a c in the wrong place in the title... Whoops!*

Hey ,

I've firmed my place as well, I am now in the process of applying for accommodation in The Green , en-suite hopefully!
(edited 11 years ago)
Main building
University of Bradford
Bradford
Hey :smile:

I'm a first year fms (80% biomed) and switching to biomed next year if you have any questions :smile: I also live in the green

:smile:
Original post by OneDayDoctor

I'm a first year fms (80% biomed) and switching to biomed next year if you have any questions :smile: I also live in the green

hi do you know any1 switching to pharmacy and wat a level grades they have?
thanks u :smile:
Original post by amazon123456789
hi do you know any1 switching to pharmacy and wat a level grades they have?
thanks u :smile:

I don't know of anyone switching, but we all got an email about it a few weeks ago. You need to have an average result of around 65-70% (sorry can't remember exactly) for your first year, and need to fill out an application (complete with personal statement) and attend an interview.

You can switch between most life sciences courses easily if they cover the majority of the same modules (like FMS to BMS) but optom and pharm require applications.
I don't know of anyone switching, but we all got an email about it a few weeks ago. You need to have an average result of around 65-70% (sorry can't remember exactly) for your first year, and need to fill out an application (complete with personal statement) and attend an interview.

You can switch between most life sciences courses easily if they cover the majority of the same modules (like FMS to BMS) but optom and pharm require applications.

oh cool do you know if u can apply if you go to anova uni and get in wiv 65 - 70 % and did they also say wat you require at a levels?

thanks
oh cool do you know if u can apply if you go to anova uni and get in wiv 65 - 70 % and did they also say wat you require at a levels?

thanks

The transfer is only withing Bradford University. You could apply externally through UCAS again, though I'm not sure how that would work. If you're interested in doing that it may be better to ask UCAS directly, or to consider reapplying in a gap year. A Levels aren't important if you are changing between course at the end of your first year, as you average is used as a measure of academic skill. The typical offer if you apply for pharmacy is 320 UCAS points.

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/view/?c=pharmacy-mpharm-4-years#5
The transfer is only withing Bradford University. You could apply externally through UCAS again, though I'm not sure how that would work. If you're interested in doing that it may be better to ask UCAS directly, or to consider reapplying in a gap year. A Levels aren't important if you are changing between course at the end of your first year, as you average is used as a measure of academic skill. The typical offer if you apply for pharmacy is 320 UCAS points.

http://www.bradford.ac.uk/courses/view/?c=pharmacy-mpharm-4-years#5

ok thanks for that. i will look into it.
i was just wondering if they said wat A levels grades were needed if people were applying within bradford uni?
thank u
ok thanks for that. i will look into it.
i was just wondering if they said wat A levels grades were needed if people were applying within bradford uni?
thank u

what you get at a level doesn't matter as far as I know if you are transferring within the uni, it's solely based on your average, application and interview. Most bradford courses have pretty similar entry requirements so most people have similar a levels anyway.
Reply 9

Hey!
It'll be lovey to meet you! :biggrin:
Judging from your name... Are you a hopeful graduate entry medic like me? :biggrin:

I wonder if I should live with 6 or 12 people :/ help! Haha :3 xxx
Reply 10
Original post by Tayberry
Hey ,

I've firmed my place as well, I am now in the process of applying for accommodation in The Green , en-suite hopefully!

Me too! I just can't decide if I want to live with 6 or 12 people :s
Hey!
It'll be lovey to meet you! :biggrin:
Judging from your name... Are you a hopeful graduate entry medic like me? :biggrin:

I wonder if I should live with 6 or 12 people :/ help! Haha :3 xxx

Hey :smile: I'll pm you my name so you can find me on fb if you want :smile: I'll come and say hi next year :smile: I'm averaging around 75% this year so I'll be avaliable if anyone needs any help with the first year stuff :smile:

Haha that's difficult! Everyone who lives with 6 says 6 and everyone who lives with 12 says 12!

A flat of 6 is nice and is quieter, easier to keep clean and the blocks have lifts (though avoid the ribston pippin one- that's the block I'm in, it has serious issues haha!) but the townhouses are more lively and better equipped for parties. However, if you are on the top floor of a townhouse it's a long walk up! Also, the door of townhouse rooms lock automatically so you need your key at all times!

In terms of size, the townhouse rooms are bigger. Basically, all room are the same size, but in flats some of the room is taken up by the pod (bathroom). I like having the ensuite and I'm good friends with my flatmates. The only issue is if you end up with loads of quiet international students- I've seen one of my flatmates about twice this year! Townhouses do have an advantage of knowing who's above and below you though so you can tell them to shut up!

If I had my phone I could send you some pics of my ensuite to try and help but unfortunately it's currently in the 3 shop being fixed :frown: try looking on youtube for 'the green flythrough' if you haven't seen the accommodation already. It's an artists impression but it's pretty much the same (except we don't get tv's)

Yeah I am :smile: GEM 2015 :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: There are some wonderful books in the health studies library to help with stuff like medical ethics and law and things :smile:
Reply 12
Hey :smile: I'll pm you my name so you can find me on fb if you want :smile: I'll come and say hi next year :smile: I'm averaging around 75% this year so I'll be avaliable if anyone needs any help with the first year stuff :smile:

Haha that's difficult! Everyone who lives with 6 says 6 and everyone who lives with 12 says 12!

A flat of 6 is nice and is quieter, easier to keep clean and the blocks have lifts (though avoid the ribston pippin one- that's the block I'm in, it has serious issues haha!) but the townhouses are more lively and better equipped for parties. However, if you are on the top floor of a townhouse it's a long walk up! Also, the door of townhouse rooms lock automatically so you need your key at all times!

In terms of size, the townhouse rooms are bigger. Basically, all room are the same size, but in flats some of the room is taken up by the pod (bathroom). I like having the ensuite and I'm good friends with my flatmates. The only issue is if you end up with loads of quiet international students- I've seen one of my flatmates about twice this year! Townhouses do have an advantage of knowing who's above and below you though so you can tell them to shut up!

If I had my phone I could send you some pics of my ensuite to try and help but unfortunately it's currently in the 3 shop being fixed :frown: try looking on youtube for 'the green flythrough' if you haven't seen the accommodation already. It's an artists impression but it's pretty much the same (except we don't get tv's)

Yeah I am :smile: GEM 2015 :smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile: There are some wonderful books in the health studies library to help with stuff like medical ethics and law and things :smile:

Wow. That was super informative! :biggrin:
I think I'm torn between the social side of 12 people, alongside the privilege of my own bathroom :P

It's great to see you genuinely love your subject. I can't wait to start!
Is it possible to transfer to first year clinical sciences?
Is there. Lot of medical aspects to the course? Agh. I'm so desperate to learn even a little about diagnosis and treatment...
I'm a bit worried the course would just be full of quiet, competitive people who only want to do the course to study pharmacy :/ I really want to do biomed!

I've seen a couple of balls for subjects, does biomed have one? :biggrin:

I visited it last September and LOVED it! :biggrin:
The warden stuff seems like a really awesome idea :3

Agh, you're so lucky to be applying so soon! :biggrin:
Where will you go? I'm scared of being able to pay for the first year straight out of Uni :frown:
Is there a good success rate at bradford? I'm worried bout competing with all the people from Kings College and the like :/

X

It's a hard choice :P Good luck in making it!

I'm not sure about transferring to clin sci, it wasn't on the list of possible transfers we got. Just be aware that clin sic is great because it's the first year of med school, but not many people transfer and the rest of the degree isn't that good from what I've heard. There are a lot transferring from biomed to phar/ optom but biomed is a big course(about 200 odd I think) so it isn't that noticable, plus we share some lectures with first year clin sci so they make up the numbers. There are a range of people, some really quiet and others far too loud. On the whole everyone is just really friendly so it's good :smile: There's no obvious competitiveness that I've seen.

There is a biomed society that's relatively new- BAHSS. They have a few socials but mostly sort stuff out like guest lecturers which is cool. There's also the colours ball which is the general society ball. It's a proper black tie and ballgown type thing at the Hilton.

The green is really nice :smile: Plus, if your block uses the least energy for a week you get free food one night :smile: There's something going off most of the time, snow permitting :P Some ducks have recently found their way to the pond too, they all waddle around in a line :P It's the best thing t see at 7am on a monday morning!

It feels so soon haha! I've already got a few things down for my ps! I'd love to go to Warwick, it's a really well aid out course and their surgical centre is amazing. It would be great to be able to train in an environment that trains top surgeons at the same time! You only need to pay £3500, the rest is covered by a loan :smile: It's not a massive amount when you think you could potentially work over the summers. There are also jobs in the student shops and bars on campus that pay well and fit around your degree.

I'm not sure of the success rate, but don't underestimate bradford as a uni. It's recognised as one of the best in the country and does leading research, as well as always being teamed with russel group unis for some project or another. At bradford you only need 68% for a first because of the harder papers and harsher marking than other unis. At the end of the day you will be applying from a respected uni, with a biomed degree. What more could a medschool ask?! Just keep on top of the work and try to keep up with some work experience :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by maik13
yes you can transfer to clinical sciences first year
bradford is one the best recognised as well for clinical sciences, as its one of the closest degrees to Medicine
Bradford is top in research and well known internationally
its just underestimated abit.

join the fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/173390572813500/?fref=ts

Really?! From biomedical science? How do you know :biggrin:
I was thinking about asking them about it. That'd be pretty cool.
I agree. Bradford is completely underestimated. I can't wait to get there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending