The Student Room Group

Explanation..

Hey peeps,

I just wanted to know how AS/A level works exactly. This is only for one reason. I'm in Year 10 atm, and I'm finishing my GCSE Economics in May/June time, and I have to do AS level Economics in Year 11 so we don't have a space on our school timetable. This is exactly the same with English. I've been put in an "express" set where we have to complete our 2 GCSE's in a year. We're also doing English Language/Literature for AS Level (Starting near the end of the Summer term). There's something I don't understand. Do I have to carry these subjects on for my final A-Level? Because I want to study Biology, Chemistry, History and Philosophy.

If I'm wrong, can someone explain how the system works please?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by iYusuf
Hey peeps,

I just wanted to know how AS/A level works exactly. This is only for one reason. I'm in Year 10 atm, and I'm finishing my GCSE Economics in May/June time, and I have to do AS level Economics in Year 11 so we don't have a space on our school timetable. This is exactly the same with English. I've been put in an "express" set where we have to complete our 2 GCSE's in a year. We're also doing English Language/Literature for AS Level (Starting near the end of the Summer term). There's something I don't understand. Do I have to carry these subjects on for my final A-Level? Because I want to study Biology, Chemistry, History and Philosophy.

If I'm wrong, can someone explain how the system works please?

Thanks!

So if my understanding is correct, you'd be doing English Lit and English Lang in Year 11. You wouldn't have to carry this subjects on to year 12 but you would get standalone qualifications in English Literature, English Language and Economics called AS levels. They're not a full A-Level but half an A-Level and still count towards your university applications, etc. You do not have to complete the full A-Level.
Reply 2
Original post by laylarose
So if my understanding is correct, you'd be doing English Lit and English Lang in Year 11. You wouldn't have to carry this subjects on to year 12 but you would get standalone qualifications in English Literature, English Language and Economics called AS levels. They're not a full A-Level but half an A-Level and still count towards your university applications, etc. You do not have to complete the full A-Level.

We're doing one or the other, but thank you! That's all I wanted to know, and you summarised it perfectly! I owe you one!

Quick Reply

Latest