The Student Room Group

Chemistry Unit 1 and 2 exams

Hey guys, anyone doing AS Edexcel chemistry? Exams are so soon :frown:
How are you guys revising, what topics are you finding hard? Thought I would start this forum to help each other out

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
do a chapter a day (dont have a time limit, only to complete the chapter )
spend morning revising

then do questions in the evening-afew hours later to see if you really understand it

when you go back to school, in the evenings go over topics you find hard and do all the questions again (the ones you got wrong especially)
Reply 2
Good idea. So far I've been doing some past papers, not really getting high marks on them so I need to go over my notes again

Original post by fatsherry
x

I've done my A-level chem (edexcel), but I need to retake unit 2 from AS.

One thing I can say to you guys, is to try and print out the specification for unit 1 and 2 and tick off when you finish a chapter.

You will be surprised to see that the textbooks dont cover each spec point in detail, so it's your job to make sure you're fully confident with the spec and therefore will be well grounded for the exams (obv you have to do past papers and questions too).
Reply 4
Original post by James A
I've done my A-level chem (edexcel), but I need to retake unit 2 from AS.

One thing I can say to you guys, is to try and print out the specification for unit 1 and 2 and tick off when you finish a chapter.

You will be surprised to see that the textbooks dont cover each spec point in detail, so it's your job to make sure you're fully confident with the spec and therefore will be well grounded for the exams (obv you have to do past papers and questions too).

Thank you very much! I've noticed this too. The text book isn't very helpful. I just don't get it at all. going to print out a copy of the specification tomorrow.

I'm doing AQA and am re-sitting module 1 so been focusing more on that but during Easter holidays I'm gonna review everything I've done and get it straightened out. What are the units in edexcel, are they different to AQA?
Original post by fatsherry
Thank you very much! I've noticed this too. The text book isn't very helpful. I just don't get it at all. going to print out a copy of the specification tomorrow.

Good stuff.

You retaking unit 1 or does your school only allow you guys to do it in june?
Reply 7
Original post by James A
Good stuff.

You retaking unit 1 or does your school only allow you guys to do it in june?

No, not retaking. This is going to be my first exam and if I don't pass this, I only have more chance in June next year to resist it 😁😁

Reply 8
Original post by Libby18
spend morning revising

then do questions in the evening-afew hours later to see if you really understand it

when you go back to school, in the evenings go over topics you find hard and do all the questions again (the ones you got wrong especially)

Completely agree.
I can't stand time limits, it stresses me out and I don't do things thoroughly when I'm under time constraints.

I find it useful to do things systematically, so a chapter at a time, and then the CGP consolidation questions are pretty good. Chemguide is useful and so is Facer's book with the actual content. You can skip some of the fun ramblings if it doesn't help.
Reply 9
Original post by Libby18
spend morning revising

Do you mean a chapter off the specification? Or in the textbook?
Reply 10
Original post by Big-Daddy
Do you mean a chapter off the specification? Or in the textbook?

either way. I tend to do a chapter in the book- I focus on one chapter at a time in the textbook - however it depends on how big the chapter is, i.e if its four pages then over one day, if its like 12 spreads I'll split it into 3 parts and do part 1 one day, part 2 the next and part 3 the third day.
Reply 11
Everyones been talking about the george facer book and I dont have it hope its not much of an issue :|
Reply 12
So how's revision going for you guys so far. 2 weeks till my unit 1 exam 😁

Does anyone have any advice for the longer questions where they ask you to evaluate factors regarding which reaction to choose, which is better, etc.? or for the essay questions (6 mark ones) in general?
I did my mock today... And got a U
I've never got a U before in my life and I'm soo upset, but I can't find the markscheme anywhere online to find out where I went wrong. :frown:
Does anyone know where to find one (January 2013 unit 2)
:'(
Reply 15
Original post by sophiekutie
I did my mock today... And got a U
I've never got a U before in my life and I'm soo upset, but I can't find the markscheme anywhere online to find out where I went wrong. :frown:
Does anyone know where to find one (January 2013 unit 2)
:'(

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2264891
Original post by Mollymod
x

You had a lot of useful advice before. Can I ask if you have any advice for the longer questions where they ask you to evaluate factors regarding which reaction to choose, which is better, etc.? or for the essay questions (6 mark ones) in general?
Reply 18
Original post by Big-Daddy
You had a lot of useful advice before. Can I ask if you have any advice for the longer questions where they ask you to evaluate factors regarding which reaction to choose, which is better, etc.? or for the essay questions (6 mark ones) in general?

You mostly get 6 markers for big calculations or A2 questions bullet pointing a practical generally. They've started introducing a couple of 'bullet point this practical' questions so the practicals like Preparing a Double Salt and Calorimetry. Learn the limitations of Calorimetry and other practicals. Why might your answer be incorrect as compared to the data booklet? What are sources of error in your practicals? How can you be more accurate etc?

With big questions, be systematic and logical in your order. You can bag all the marks that way. Think logically, dont start writing it out properly until you've got everything organised in a good order. This is what makes it easier for the examiner to mark your work following the mark scheme. They won't have to sift through masses of text if you keep it concise.
Original post by Mollymod
You mostly get 6 markers for big calculations or A2 questions bullet pointing a practical generally. They've started introducing a couple of 'bullet point this practical' questions so the practicals like Preparing a Double Salt and Calorimetry. Learn the limitations of Calorimetry and other practicals. Why might your answer be incorrect as compared to the data booklet? What are sources of error in your practicals? How can you be more accurate etc?

With big questions, be systematic and logical in your order. You can bag all the marks that way. Think logically, dont start writing it out properly until you've got everything organised in a good order. This is what makes it easier for the examiner to mark your work following the mark scheme. They won't have to sift through masses of text if you keep it concise.

Sorry? Most of the long-answer questions seem to be on topics of green chemistry or sustainability of reactions. I'm doing the AS syllabus.

Quick Reply

Latest