The Student Room Group

FanFiction

Scroll to see replies

Writing fanfiction about Tokio Hotel (when I was 12/13) was how I started writing. It was a really good way of practising for me, because my writing has improved LOTS since then and I am now able to write other things as well.
I think if fanfiction makes you happy, you should continue doing it, and I'm sure eventually you'll find you're ready to try something entirely different and do that :smile:
Original post by twinlensreflex
Loved that one :biggrin:

I've been reading it HP fics for years now, if you sift through the crap there's some really really lovely/awesome ones.

Are you part of the fandom?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 22
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
The best fanfiction I have ever read was Dumbledore's Army and the Year of Darkness by thanfiction. It is a tale of what went on at Hogwarts during Deathly Hallows. I will say that it can get pretty gruesome at times.

I've never read this one before! :redface:
Been reading fanfiction for 6-7 years now, and found some really really good stories, but sometimes its hard to find anything new, so thanks for giving me something to read :smile:

I absolutely love fanfiction. When TV shows and book series end, I don't want to say goodbye to the characters, so I seek out some fanfiction :smile:

Some of the writers are amazing, and could easily publish their own stories.
There's one guy on goodreads that wrote a series of novel length fics about James Potter's time at Hogwarts, and how it is to grow up with a father who was The Boy Who Lived

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Kaykee93
I've never read this one before! :redface:
Been reading fanfiction for 6-7 years now, and found some really really good stories, but sometimes its hard to find anything new, so thanks for giving me something to read :smile:

I absolutely love fanfiction. When TV shows and book series end, I don't want to say goodbye to the characters, so I seek out some fanfiction :smile:

Some of the writers are amazing, and could easily publish their own stories.
There's one guy on goodreads that wrote a series of novel length fics about James Potter's time at Hogwarts, and how it is to grow up with a father who was The Boy Who Lived

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could you give me the link? I'd love to read about James Potters time.
Reply 24
Original post by Zizi11
You could you give me the link? I'd love to read about James Potters time.

Here you go: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2548866.James_Potter_and_the_Hall_of_Elders_Crossing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Original post by Zizi11
I love fanfiction! Been reading them since I was like 11. It started with Dragonballz. Loved!! Vegeta and Bulma, then I got into Addams Family and Pokemon, Digimon and Twilight and Harry Potter. Harry Potter is deffo the one. My fav ones are AU harry potter fanfic, James and Lily and just anything in general. Hit me up if you want to read some. :biggrin:

Omg! You were into bv! I guess you got over that! I discovered fanfiction a year and a half ago and I'm heavily into it. And ahem yeh I'm into bv fandom, there's actually a whole community dedicated to it on google+, where these two authors do podcasts and invite other authors to talk about their work. It's an amazing thing especially if you like me know of no one in real life that shares your weird obsession!
I think it's real big in the states, I don't know about the uk though. I know within the fandom I'm into there aren't many people from the uk. But I'm guessing that, because Harry potter is from a British author that their are a lot of Brit authors writing in that fandom..maybe?
(edited 11 years ago)
I've noticed that quite a few of the novel length stories in the HP fandom are written by Americans, just because of the different spellings or, gaspshockhorror, the Americanisms. Not that there aren't some who are from other places, but I have noticed that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i got two stories that i've been working on, do i need to start two new threads or do i post them in this one
There's some awesome MLP fanfiction out there.

Original post by sharkbate633
i got two stories that i've been working on, do i need to start two new threads or do i post them in this one

I think it'd be more appropriate to create your own thread for the both of them. :yes:
Reply 30
woop woop I love fanfiction. When written well it's absolutely excellent and it's pretty amazing to think that there are regular people writing these small novel length stories :smile: I have written some but it's not good >.<

Bad fanfiction to me is as follows: one shots where all the characters do is have very graphic sex with no back story. Fics where the pairing go from hating each other to being in love in the space of a chapter with no real plot development. Sex that adds nothing to the story. Fics about real people (like one direction and **** like that, it's just weird). Poor spelling and grammar -_- dub or non-con and stalking which is romanticised.

Other than that I'll give anything a go xD
Reply 31
Original post by Clip
It gets a bad name because there are far too many people writing it that commit the following sins:

1. Create a Mary Sue character
2. Place themselves into the fiction
3. Having placed themselves in the fiction, proceed to devise a romantic relationship with one of the canon characters.

This!

I have been writing fanfiction since '03/'04 when I got the Internet. It's a fantastic creative outlet for people who want to take up writing as a hobby, and as other people said can often be a springboard into original fiction which is great.

However there is a huge social stigma attached to it, unfortunately. I have only recently "come out" to a few real-life friends as a fanfic writer and that's only because they told me they write it first!

I pretty much grew up in the Tolkien fandom, and what you talk about here is especially true. I despise Legomance with a passion. Tolkien created such a rich/immersive world with so much to explore and I think the majority of Tolkien fic writers use it for Sexytime! Mind you, this is coming from someone who does not like romance/erotica of any sort. I much prefer deep lore and character exploration.

Even though I have been in the community for pretty much 10 years now, one thing recently has puzzled me. Why do people ship characters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by s_libra
Omg! You were into bv! I guess you got over that! I discovered fanfiction a year and a half ago and I'm heavily into it. And ahem yeh I'm into bv fandom, there's actually a whole community dedicated to it on google+, where these two authors do podcasts and invite other authors to talk about their work. It's an amazing thing especially if you like me know of no one in real life that shares your weird obsession!
I think it's real big in the states, I don't know about the uk though. I know within the fandom I'm into there aren't many people from the uk. But I'm guessing that, because Harry potter is from a British author that their are a lot of Brit authors writing in that fandom..maybe?

You are correct, there are loads of British people writing about HP compared to DBZ from what I can tell. I still love Dbz to this day, its a childhood thing ahah. I'll send you a story I found that's a really good HP and some about dbz when I get on my laptop at home. I have like files worth of stories I've saved. I'm a member of fanfiction.net where I get most of my stories from. Also even though I'm not a fan of twilight there are some really good sites on twilighted.net. Better than the actual books. x
I love fanfiction - it's lovely to read some people's take on characters... and sometimes... not so lovely. *shudders at Drarry* I don't write fanfiction too often as I'm a bugger for writer's block but when I do I get really involved in it, and love constructive criticism.
I love fanfiction! Though I have never been able to read a HP fanfiction or any other book for that matter! (I like books as they are, as opposed to anime's which in my mind have more plausible alternatives.)

I write and read the KHR fandom, which sadly is over-rated with Yaoi-ness. >.<

@Goody2Shoes-x, your name reminds me of a member of the critics united
Reply 35
Original post by Cynical_Smile01
Increasingly over the past few years I have become really interested in fanfiction. Eventually I got round to writing my own stuff. At first my parents said ok, but we'd rather you wrote original fiction. They've got used to it, and accepted that it can be very good, but I still think they don't really like fanfiction. I, of course, love it, but sometimes I don't think people appreciate the quality of some of the stuff on there. What is everyone's opinion on fanfiction? Do you think there is a lot of prejudice around it?

i am addicted :/ to it i can't stop ;O the stories are amazing but i am addicted to it how can i stop??
Reply 36
Original post by Muni :D
i am addicted :/ to it i can't stop ;O the stories are amazing but i am addicted to it how can i stop??

Why would you want to stop? There's nothing wrong with it. I've been addicted to reading fanfics since I was like 11 and I'm 22 now. Good luck with trying to stop.
Reply 37
Original post by Zizi11
Why would you want to stop? There's nothing wrong with it. I've been addicted to reading fanfics since I was like 11 and I'm 22 now. Good luck with trying to stop.

i started reading at the age of 13 i just stumbled on it somehow and found twilight....and damn are they ace :biggrin:
Reply 38
Original post by Muni :D
i started reading at the age of 13 i just stumbled on it somehow and found twilight....and damn are they ace :biggrin:

I think I've run out on good twilight ones now :frown:
Been going for crossovers lately, and some of them are pretty darn good :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I write and read fanfiction - Harry Potter, Lotr, The Hobbit, anything I'm into at that moment.

All I'll say is this: Never, ever, play the shame game. Don't shame kinks on kink memes on lj, don't shame fandoms, don't shame pairings. People can like what they want - no skin off your nose! Let everyone enjoy their fanfictions and have a great time with them. :smile:

I, for example, have an extensive collection of Hobbit AUs, an excellent audiofic that I downloaded and LOVE from Sherlock, and my internet history is probably eye-scorching. But hey, I'm not making you read it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest